Galaxy S3 owners is the S5 a good enough upgrade for you needs?

wsmather

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s3 owners is the s5 a good enough upgrade for you needs?

Nope. With Cyanogenmod running, the s3 still hits the sweet spot for me. Even after I move to the Moto X, which should happen soon, I'll keep and use the S3 as a stand alone wifi device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

S3 to s4 is most certainly a substantial upgrade. Whether or not it isn't worth it is up to you. There are features on the s5 that I wished my s3 had.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

S3 to s4 is most certainly a substantial upgrade. Whether or not it isn't worth it is up to you. There are features on the s5 that I wished my s3 had.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

S3 to S4 was no real upgrade. That's been said multiple times in all the S4 reviews. I looked at it myself and it was not worth it at all.

Posted via my Moto X DE

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site

I also switched to a MotoX. While modest/similar specs, I like the features. Miss some of the camera features but I actually like the size and form factor better. The screen is brighter, speaker better, and better software. Will be tiding me over until I see what HTC and X successor have going.

Posted via Android Central App

This is the problem I am having, trying to figure out if the Moto X is the phone for me. I have an S3 now and like the specs of the Moto X. For me, the screen and software implementation is right on the money. I want to get one, but would like wireless charging too. I sit at my desk and get up a lot and like to charge my phone and take it fast. I do the same at home. The S5 has wireless charging which is a big deal. If I get a little extra, that is even better. The main things for me are that the Moto X scree is good enough for me and I do not need 1080P. It is a phone and 720 to 1080 is not a big deal.

It is tough buying a new phone. Do I want a Ferrari or is the Civic good enough. I would like both and phone buying sucks. ;)

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I will wait for their Prime version to release (Galaxy F) otherwise M8 or G3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I will wait for their Prime version to release (Galaxy F) otherwise M8 or G3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The 'Prime' version was nothing but rumor and speculation. I'm telling you guys, rumors kill these devices!!! I fell for it myself :(

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

S3 to S4 was no real upgrade. That's been said multiple times in all the S4 reviews. I looked at it myself and it was not worth it at all.

Posted via my Moto X DE

It's more of an upgrade than the S4 to the S5, and also more than most other flagships when compared to their predecessors.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

This is the problem I am having, trying to figure out if the Moto X is the phone for me. I have an S3 now and like the specs of the Moto X. For me, the screen and software implementation is right on the money. I want to get one, but would like wireless charging too. I sit at my desk and get up a lot and like to charge my phone and take it fast. I do the same at home. The S5 has wireless charging which is a big deal. If I get a little extra, that is even better. The main things for me are that the Moto X scree is good enough for me and I do not need 1080P. It is a phone and 720 to 1080 is not a big deal.

It is tough buying a new phone. Do I want a Ferrari or is the Civic good enough. I would like both and phone buying sucks. ;)

Buying a new phone does suck. I always mull it over for a while. The one time I didn't I ended up with the Droid bionic for 300 bucks... Ouch! Lol I swore I'd never buy another moto phone... And then came the x.

Coming from the S3 to the moto x was great for me. The S3 was a fine phone and was revolutionary at the time but I realized that I never used any of the features besides the always on when it sees ur face. I use almost all of the features on the moto x daily. Touchless control is great while driving. I was nervous about battery life but it's really pretty good for me. If I'm just using the phone as a phone with texting and calls the thing lasts all day easy.

The one thing that shocked me about the S5 is that it doesn't have touchless controls. I know u can have them when u unlock the phone like the Nexus 5 but I really thought other companies were going to pick up this idea since it's such a high point of the moto x.

The other thing u should think about is the contract aspect of phones. I'm soooo happy to not be chained to a contract. Especially since I have unlimited data on Vzw still!

All in all I do recommend the moto x coming from the S3. Yes it's a very modest upgrade in hardware but the usability is worth it's weight in gold. The only other phone I was looking at was the LG G2.

Posted via my Moto X DE

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Going to pass on the 5 because my 3 does everything I need it to.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Hey I'm rocking the lg pro and love it I too checked out the g2 and that screen is sick in a good why but I think I'll get the lg pro 2 same form factor as the g2 but bigger

Brad Semenick

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

It looks tempting. But I'm waiting for fall to see what the note 4, iphone 6 and htc m8 have to offer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to play the waiting game and be paranoid about something better on the horizon. Every single major manufacturer is coming out with a new flagship every year and it's absolutely ridiculous. You honestly can never be ahead of the game anymore.

I have a Galaxy S3 and the S5 is honestly an immense improvement. The camera is going to be amazing and the water and dust resistant features are big for me. The S3 is still capable two years later which is what is most important to me. I'm always going to be behind at this rate, with manufacturers outing new phones every year, so I might as well go with something that I know will still have relevant and industry standard specs in two years.

Point that everyone seems to be overlooking is that HTC and Motorola are not going to be providing innovations either, only better iterations of existing phones. The industry is not in an innovation period right now - it's about profit margins. So I honestly don't know what a lot of naysayers are expecting. Everyone is mostly going to underwhelm, except for Apple because the press is on their side and whatever gimmick they come up with next is going to toy with Android users' heads because the 140 character crowd can't seem to stop gushing over Apple.

Speaking of which, one of the first things I'm going to do upon getting a new phone this year is DISABLE the fingerprint reader/scanner/etc. Unnecessary to the nth degree.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Having owned an S3 I would say it's definitely a step up from the S3 and worth the upgrade. If you have an S4 like I do probably not worth the upgrade. Just my opinion though..

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Point that everyone seems to be overlooking is that HTC and Motorola are not going to be providing innovations either, only better iterations of existing phones. The industry is not in an innovation period right now - it's about profit margins. So I honestly don't know what a lot of naysayers are expecting. Everyone is mostly going to underwhelm, except for Apple because the press is on their side and whatever gimmick they come up with next is going to toy with Android users' heads because the 140 character crowd can't seem to stop gushing over Apple.

Speaking of which, one of the first things I'm going to do upon getting a new phone this year is DISABLE the fingerprint reader/scanner/etc. Unnecessary to the nth degree.

I disagree. Making your phone more useful is innovation and that is what moto x did. Lg did some really good things with the g2 as well... That battery is beast. I dont understand how u say these are not innovations.

Posted via my Moto X DE

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If I had an S4 I would feel no need to upgrade but if not I would absolutely get the S5 instead

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have an upgrade available whenever I choose to take it and honestly no doubt the S5 is a massive step up from the S3, however that said it will not be my next phone. From a spec point of view it hits all the right numbers, but design and size leaves a lot to be desired. As others have mentioned you can pick up a LG G2 with a bigger screen, bigger battery in a smaller package. Too me it seems like Samsung rushed this out, certainly with good intentions but I feel like they should have waited a few months refining the phone. Reducing the bezel size, 805 chip, 3gb ram etc.

So while it would be a great upgrade from the S3, compared to other phones already out for me anyways it doesn't do anything that makes me want to have it.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm hoping the LG G3 will get the 805. That will most likely be my next phone

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The S3 has been such a great phone for me! I like the S5, but am not in love with it. I'm due for an upgrade and will likely be going with the S5. I'm on the water or in the back country quite a bit. I go on long backpacking trips and need a replaceable battery and microsd slot (for my topo maps / satellite views) and use my phone as a stand alone GPS. It appears the S5 will be the best phone available that meets my needs. The combination of water / dust proofing, replaceable battery, and micro-sd slot is not available in a better package than the S5. I am slightly disappointed that they were not able to increase the screen size while decreasing the bezel. Would have been nice for the S5 to have a footprint similar to the S4. I would have liked 3GB of ram just to make the phone a little more future proof. I am concerned about the ease of rooting and applying a custom ROM- hopefully will not be an issue, I do not care about voiding my warranty. Other than that I like the S5, and unless something mindblowing that meets my needs is announced, I will be upgrading to it.