Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By garublador
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Am I the only one concerned about the negative effects of waterproofing?

Don't get me wrong, water proof smartphones are awesome but all the smartphones that have been released as water resistant have really struggled with speaker loudness and quality. Im hoping that Samsung didn't make the same sacrifices in order to acheive water resistance.

I also worry about the durability of the USB port cover, I dont personally have experience with it but it seems as if it would loosen up over time and eventually leak water in.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-25-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Am I the only one concerned about the negative effects of waterproofing?

It's not meant to be thrown in a pool and submersed under water dude.... it's NOT WATER PROOF!!!

Water resistant- able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely.
    Water proof- impervious to water.

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Am I the only one concerned about the negative effects of waterproofing?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe113 View Post
    Water resistant- able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely.
    Water proof- impervious to water.
    Nothing is totally impervious to water. With enough pressure and time it will get into anything.

Fortunately, there is a much more specific way of describing just how resistant something is to water. The phone is IP67 rated, which means it's dust tight (which is more than I can say for any other phone I've ever had) and can be submerged in 1M of water for up to 30 minutes.

So, while you probably shouldn't go swimming with it, it will take a lot more than a splash of water, spilling something on it or even dropping it in the pool for a little while to damage it.

Personally I'm not put off by any of those things. Those possible trade offs are more than made up for by having a phone I wouldn't have to worry about as much.
    Twitter: @GoodOLMC
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm also not as worried about it as others are.

I'll take any sort of trade off for the peace of mind of knowing that if I have a small accident that the phone will probably survive (this does not include drops, though, but I'm pretty good about not dropping my devices).
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

I dont like the little cover hope it don't break

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by xmostwanted559x View Post
    I dont like the little cover hope it don't break

Ask any DNA owner about that silly USB charging cover. It's going to be gone within the first month of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Ask any DNA owner about that silly USB charging cover. It's going to be gone within the first month of ownership.
    That sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Well, to be fair - most of those DNA owners ripped it out themselves because it was annoying, rather than it breaking on them. But yeah, I can imagine some might have broken off due to excessive force or wearing out over time (but again, many people just cut it off at that point).

I wouldn't mind the USB cover if it had Qi charging built in, like the DNA does.

Do we think the increased size of the phone due to the waterproofing? I think that was the main area of disappointment for me after seeing it.