Galaxy S5: Is the RAM a downgrade from the S4?

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Think about it. I understand, just because the Note 3 has 3GB of RAM doesn't mean the S5 would, but I think that alone is a major disappointment. On top of that, wouldn't the S5, with it's added features be using more of that 2GB, leaving less RAM for the user and downloaded apps than the S4? So, basically a downgrade? 😒

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is the RAM a downgrade from the S4?

Not really if it's based on KitKat. Remember how it was touted as a lighter OS version that could run on low-RAM devices? Well, that could explain why the S5 will stick to 2GB of RAM. What puzzled me, besides the increase in 'body fat' :p is that they chose to NOT release this with an Exynos version. I really expected the S5 to either come with the HexaCore Exynos or a 64bit processor.

Other than the Fingerprint sensor, I wasn't impressed AT ALL. Even the Heart Rate sensor they tout I was able to do with my old SII with an app; same thing, uses the flash and camera to take your pulse.

I'm sticking with my Note 3 for now. HTC and Apple, your turn to try to impress me.

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Not really if it's based on KitKat. Remember how it was touted as a lighter OS version that could run on low-RAM devices? Well, that could explain why the S5 will stick to 2GB of RAM. What puzzled me, besides the increase in 'body fat' :p is that they chose to NOT release this with an Exynos version. I really expected the S5 to either come with the HexaCore Exynos or a 64bit processor.

Other than the Fingerprint sensor, I wasn't impressed AT ALL. Even the Heart Rate sensor they tout I was able to do with my old SII with an app; same thing, uses the flash and camera to take your pulse.

I'm sticking with my Note 3 for now. HTC and Apple, your turn to try to impress me.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Note 3. Do you like it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Boy, do I ever!!! Yes, it'll take some getting used to the size but it's totally worth it. Now I see 'normal' phones (even the S4, let alone an iPhone) and go "oooow... cutie toy, do you even see clearly on that tiny thing?" haha

Plus, the thing is blazing fast, S-Pen is cool, and MultiWindow (especially if you root and apply the MultiMultiWindow hack) makes it even more interesting. You won't be disappointed.

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Boy, do I ever!!! Yes, it'll take some getting used to the size but it's totally worth it. Now I see 'normal' phones (even the S4, let alone an iPhone) and go "oooow... cutie toy, do you even see clearly on that tiny thing?" haha

Plus, the thing is blazing fast, S-Pen is cool, and MultiWindow (especially if you root and apply the MultiMultiWindow hack) makes it even more interesting. You won't be disappointed.

Have you seen the Zerolemon extended battery case? It was actually the first thing that got me interested in a Note, consisting it's already a big phone to start with.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

The US version never gets the Exynos processor.
I'm sure the international version will use their new Exynos processor: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-announces-new-hexa-and-octa-core-exynos-5-processors

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Jay Holm

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Hmm....not sure where your expectations came from. Hope would be a better word I think.

Why is Exynos such a big deal? The Snapdragon 800 is a very, very capable processor.

I don't use, or acknowledge the word ""troll"".

A lot of it has to do with the latest Exynos being a much newer design than the S800/801. People are thinking that because it's newer it'll automatically be better and faster and more efficient.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Why is Exynos such a big deal? The Snapdragon 800 is a very, very capable processor.

I don't use, or acknowledge the word ""troll"".

I didn't say it was. Just pointing out that the international version will likely get the Exynos processor, while the US version gets the SD801.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Have you seen the Zerolemon extended battery case? It was actually the first thing that got me interested in a Note, consisting it's already a big phone to start with.

Can't say I have... but really, would you need it? I still manage to unplug at 6AM and still have about 25 or 20 percent left of my battery by midnight, with mid-heavy use, about 4 or 5 hours of Screen-On time. The phone is big enough to barely fit into my pocket. It still fits, but adding the bulk of an extended battery or heck, even a thick case, would really either be uncomfortable or would just rip the pockets when I sit down.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Hmm....not sure where your expectations came from. Hope would be a better word I think.

A lot of it has to do with the latest Exynos being a much newer design than the S800/801. People are thinking that because it's newer it'll automatically be better and faster and more efficient.

The HexaCore had been announced and tested quite a while ago, and since the 64-bit iPhone word that Sammy was also working on that came out and though they denied it would be ready for the S5, I thought 'hey, this is Samsung, they're just saying they won't do something just to end up doing it anyway'. And they did copy the Fingerprint sensor and 'upped' one HeartRate monitor, after all. But at least the HexaCore was a more plausible speculation. I don't know, I just expected, or hoped for, more.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Think about it. I understand, just because the Note 3 has 3GB of RAM doesn't mean the S5 would, but I think that alone is a major disappointment. On top of that, wouldn't the S5, with it's added features be using more of that 2GB, leaving less RAM for the user and downloaded apps than the S4? So, basically a downgrade? 

What specifically do you need 3GB of RAM for? My GS4 is buttery smooth with 2GB ...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

More RAM means I can go from 651 apps to 1,024 or more.

Not sure if you understand what RAM is. Are you thinking of internal storage?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

lRummfh.gif

FutureKix

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I understand fully what RAM is. With more RAM I can run more apps smoothly. I wasn't being literal when I said I'd install 1,024 apps...

Not sure if you understand what RAM is. Are you thinking of internal storage?

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Note 3. Do you like it?

I concur with spookboy the note 3 is fricken amazing. I use it for EVERYTHING! Reading, gaming, and most importantly business stuff. I'm just now starting to tap into the SPen and the rest of the tools and can't imagine business without it.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I concur with spookboy the note 3 is fricken amazing. I use it for EVERYTHING! Reading, gaming, and most importantly business stuff. I'm just now starting to tap into the SPen and the rest of the tools and can't imagine business without it.

This is where my S3 lacks unfortunately. I get headaches when I try reading some e-books on it. I know getting the Note 4 would alleviate that problem for me.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

This is where my S3 lacks unfortunately. I get headaches when I try reading some e-books on it. I know getting the Note 4 would alleviate that problem for me.

Had the s3 and liked it but it lacked functionality and the battery if was pathetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678