Galaxy S5 Versus Note 3

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: S5 Versus Note 3

Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

ATT N3

If you work with a lot of documents, carry training manuals on your device, or do a lot of email then the bigger screen is worth it. It's just a better form factor for media - of all types, except maybe music.

I use the Note III as my personal device. It's a great device. The Specs are fairly close except the Note wins easily on RAM and the S5 will probably win on camera. The Note Camera is still good, though. It's a bit better than the Galaxy S4.

It really depends on which form factor you prefer, and how you think you will use the device.

I don't find the Note size to be an issue now. When I first got it my hands were in shock (literally) but I got used to it in like 2 days and now it feels like a normal sized phone to me, and I have small hands. Obviously if you have hands my size you may find yourself using it two handed a lot, but I don't tend to care about that. It probably didn't help that I was using an iPhone 5S for 10 days prior to getting the Note 3, either...

Another good thing about the Note is the battery life, which is fantastic. I, literally, never have to worry about my battery now. Ever. And it's a liberating feeling to not feel tethered to a charger on a phone, or feel like I have to monitor my usage even occasionally for fear that I will "overuse the device" and end up with battery woes at the least opportune time.

Last edited:

Lsucrazy

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

That's how they're playing it, imcremental like upgrades just to keep sales going.

The Note 4 should be very interesting and will definitely have to feature something interesting since this is already a niche phone.

Note 4 will be to the note 3, as the s3 Is to the s4. I don't expect anything outside of faster processor and possibly quad hd screen. I think they might hold off on quad hd until next year though.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

For those on att, the s5 supports lte - a with ca. I believe that the att note 3 didn't support ca.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Don't go for Samsung again. Their so called superfast octa hexa etc processor sucks a lot, they lag a lot. Always there's a software problem. I am suffering a lot with my phone and also have all Samsung users to suffer

Posted via Android Central App from Samsung GALAXY S4 (GT-I9500)

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Don't go for Samsung again. Their so called superfast octa hexa etc processor sucks a lot, they lag a lot. Always there's a software problem. I am suffering a lot with my phone and also have all Samsung users to suffer

Well how come their number 2 in sales in the US only behind Apple? My Note3 is fast, doesn't lag and I've never had a software problem with my Note3 or SG3. I really don't know anyone who is suffering because they choose a Samsung device unless they altered the devices of some sort. If Samsung was that bad, I doubt they would be selling as much as they do

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Well how come their number 2 in sales in the US only behind Apple? My Note3 is fast, doesn't lag and I've never had a software problem with my Note3 or SG3. I really don't know anyone who is suffering because they choose a Samsung device unless they altered the devices of some sort. If Samsung was that bad, I doubt they would be selling as much as they do

I have faced a lot of software issues plus I had to replace the motherboard. .sd card was getting formatted automatically, lost many of my important data..not only mine..my gf's GS3 also had to be taken to service centre a lot of times that too within 1year. .don't know why Samsung is in 2nd position, why people buys it..perhaps inly because of packed eye catching features..but Samsung can't really manage all those features in software. .I had bought my GS4 just for these features..at that time I didn't know about these problems. .I don't know about note 3 as I haven't used it.. iPhone is much faster than Samsung. . My GS4 hangs a lot..why will the device hang even once when they gice this much of RAM & processor? Also Samsung uses very cheap material..once nokia lumia & GS3 both were dropped from a height of chest level at the same time..lumia hadn't got a single scratch and GS3 screen was fully broken..

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

The Note 3 is a great device and the size really isn't bad unless you put a case on it then it gets bulky. The S5 is a nice upgrade to the S3/S4 in terms of battery mgt, camera, and UI and you get 4.4.2 out of the box so none of the OTA update issues that always occur. That said I would say it should come down to the S5 vs Note 4 since the next Note will get the advancements the S5 got, fingerprint (if something you want) camera upgrades and battery management. The 2GB vs 3GB RAM thing isn't a big issue I have not run into issues with either the S4 or Note 3 in terms of app performance having had both.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The Note 3 is a great device and the size really isn't bad unless you put a case on it then it gets bulky. The S5 is a nice upgrade to the S3/S4 in terms of battery mgt, camera, and UI and you get 4.4.2 out of the box so none of the OTA update issues that always occur. That said I would say it should come down to the S5 vs Note 4 since the next Note will get the advancements the S5 got, fingerprint (if something you want) camera upgrades and battery management. The 2GB vs 3GB RAM thing isn't a big issue I have not run into issues with either the S4 or Note 3 in terms of app performance having had both.

When next android version will be released then they will again send OTA update when another version will be released. I don't really see any such problem with other phones like htc apple.. htc gives update just a few months after the release. .
Another problem with Samsung is they don't care about their previous flagships. .they behave like as if those are obsolete. .

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 still too big for me after 6 months with it. S5 orZ2 for me

Posted via Android Central App

The Z2 is practically the same length as the Note 3 but noticeably narrower which doesn't do one handed usage any benefit as the length is more detrimental to one handed use than the width.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

When next android version will be released then they will again send OTA update when another version will be released. I don't really see any such problem with other phones like htc apple.. htc gives update just a few months after the release. .
Another problem with Samsung is they don't care about their previous flagships. .they behave like as if those are obsolete. .

I don't think you read my post at all. First of all Samsung just updated the GS3, GS4, GN2, GN3 all to KitKat 4.4.2 so a phone that is 2 generations old is getting updates. HTC only pledged this past month that they would update devices for 2 years in the US ONLY and that does not include any previously released devices either.

As for OTA's so much goes into them to make sure they work properly including carrier bloat and interference with the actual product I prefer to get 4.4.2 out of the box and deal with the 4.x or 5.x update either OTA or I will just trade in and trade up to the S6 next year.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't think you read my post at all. First of all Samsung just updated the GS3, GS4, GN2, GN3 all to KitKat 4.4.2 so a phone that is 2 generations old is getting updates. HTC only pledged this past month that they would update devices for 2 years in the US ONLY and that does not include any previously released devices either.

As for OTA's so much goes into them to make sure they work properly including carrier bloat and interference with the actual product I prefer to get 4.4.2 out of the box and deal with the 4.x or 5.x update either OTA or I will just trade in and trade up to the S6 next year.

Look I have an unlocked version, of no carrier. The updates arrived for those carrier phones and in other countries, but still we haven't got. Now will you say they have to check for the carrier support? Plus I have faced and still facing a lag problem with more than 3gb of internal memory free. I have lost all my important data from my sd which was deleted by this phonr automatically. Plus I had to change the motherboard within 8 months of purchase. Not only me, many s4 and Samsung users have suffered and still suffering a lot. I myself went to service centre with them. Why all these happen? ? I am talking about flagship phones. Do you expect this from flagships?? I am not making any story, these are all happening.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Note 4 will be to the note 3, as the s3 Is to the s4. I don't expect anything outside of faster processor and possibly quad hd screen. I think they might hold off on quad hd until next year though.

Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3

I hope they don't put a 4K screen into their cell phones. I'm sorry to keep saying this all over the place, but 4K resolution would be completely pointless on a 5" screen. Understand that our phones already have as many pixels as a 60" HD TV, all packed into a 5" (or 5.7", whatever) screen. 4K on a 60" TV makes sense. 4K on a 5" cell phone would just cause increased heat and battery drain and lower performance. At 430ppi, the resolution is already higher than you can see with the naked eye at 10".

I do agree that the Note 4 will likely be a mostly incremental update. I think we've reached the point with the technology itself has plateau'd. There's not a whole lot more that they can pack into these things. My Note 3 already rivals the processing power of the i5-based laptop I bought last year. That's no small feat. Especially considering that a single-core 1Ghz mobile CPU was described as a "gadget nerd's wet dream" just a few years ago.

One thing I am hoping they get working in time for the Note 4 is that finger-print scanner built into the screen. That would be pretty cool.

As for the N3's camera, I know the S5 has more mega pixels, but that doesn't automatically mean it's "better". We'd have to see some shots taken with it before anyone could make that determination. Personally, I've taken some shots with my N3 that *really* impressed me. Especially in low-light.

20140118_123943.jpg20140118_124425.jpg

The first is no flash, standard auto mode. Second is HDR. Both in the same amount of light.

I really seems like Samsung is using the Note line as their top-of-the-line phone to really push the hardware, and keeping the S line fairly tame for mainstream users who don't obsess so much about specs.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Look I have an unlocked version, of no carrier. The updates arrived for those carrier phones and in other countries, but still we haven't got. Now will you say they have to check for the carrier support? Plus I have faced and still facing a lag problem with more than 3gb of internal memory free. I have lost all my important data from my sd which was deleted by this phonr automatically. Plus I had to change the motherboard within 8 months of purchase. Not only me, many s4 and Samsung users have suffered and still suffering a lot. I myself went to service centre with them. Why all these happen? ? I am talking about flagship phones. Do you expect this from flagships?? I am not making any story, these are all happening.

It's really hard to take you seriously when you keep contradicting yourself, man. You say you've never used a Note 3, then say "still facing a lag problem with more than 3gb of internal memory free." First off, no phone has "more" than 3gb of memory free. And how do you know that it lags if you've never used one?

Here's a couple of things you could check for that might improve your phone's performance.

1) the 4.2.2 update would likely help a bit, since Google went through and cleaned up the code so that the OS requires less resources.

2) DO NOT RUN APP KILLERS. I cannot stress this enough, and it kills me that I still talk to people using apps like Advanced Task Killer and then complain that their phone acts squirrelly. Linux (which Android is built on top of) is *designed* to leave apps loaded in memory. If an app is actively draining your battery just from being loaded in memory, then it is a badly written app and you should uninstall it. Using an app killer will actually give you worse performance and battery life, since the OS is having to constantly reload things that would otherwise already be loaded.

3) if you have an SD card, and you have apps moved to the SD card, make sure that it's not only a class 10 SD card, but that it's not suffering from some kind of mechanical failure. My advice is to *NOT* buy the "cheapest" SD card you can find. Generally, companies that use "cheapest" as their marketing campaign, cut corners somewhere in manufacturing. One of the reasons that Google is pushing to get away from SD cards is because people keep sticking super-cheap SD cards in their phones and then complain about the device and OS, not realizing the real cause of the problem is their own doing.

Now, I don't know what you're calling "lag". It is true that the iPhone tends to scroll and do the little screen transition animations at a higher frame rate, but that's because it's a much simpler operating system. If scrolling between home screens at 60fps is your #1 priority, then you might be happier with an iPhone.

Also, FYI, sometimes you have to do the update manually, if you have the "unlocked" phone. Might want to check out Kies from your PC. It might be that, because your phone is unlocked, whatever carrier you're using isn't pushing the OTA since your phone is slightly different from the one they sell.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I am talking about my phone, s4. I said i don't know about note 3 as I haven't used it.
I have checked manually. Connected it through kies in two computers but download stops after 48-50%. Even service centre man couldn't do it after replacing thr motherboard (but they had updated it to kitkat before). I have received 4.3 and all other bug fixing updates as OTA update.

I don't use any apps killer. I download games or apps only from famous developer or company.

Lag means sometimes the apps freezes then I have to restart the phone. Sometimes the all apps in SD says "unfortunately has stopped working" one after another. Then I have to take the battery out. Sometimes the phone doesn't respond in time.

I don't use cheap SD card. It's sandisk class 10 16gb. I have checked with different cards. No change.

I don't know about note 3 as I haven't use it but I am talking about note 2 s3 s4. All of those had problems at least once.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't explain your issues with the S4, but I have owned the S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3 and have never had an issue like yours. Sounds like you got a lemon, that happens no matter who makes the device or what it is. Mass production is not 100% perfect.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I can't explain your issues with the S4, but I have owned the S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3 and have never had an issue like yours. Sounds like you got a lemon, that happens no matter who makes the device or what it is. Mass production is not 100% perfect.

But my gf's GS3 also had given so many trouble. Now it's working fine after many hardware issues and then replacement. She also has a note 2. Voice commands don't work on that. Don't know why this happens.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I can't explain the bad luck you have run into, I am sure there are others out there who have had similar issues with Samsung and other OEM devices, they are produced in the millions and daily use, and other factors do play into how an electronic device holds up. For me I typically don't keep a device long enough to see it misbehave, 3-6 months is a phones life cycle for me, working on making it a yearly thing. But last year I had 8 phones so I changed a bit more often.

ranajit saha

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I can't explain the bad luck you have run into, I am sure there are others out there who have had similar issues with Samsung and other OEM devices, they are produced in the millions and daily use, and other factors do play into how an electronic device holds up. For me I typically don't keep a device long enough to see it misbehave, 3-6 months is a phones life cycle for me, working on making it a yearly thing. But last year I had 8 phones so I changed a bit more often.

Yes after 6 7 months the problems arrive

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I did a search and didn't see this (pardon me if there is something, but my google-fu isn't very strong), but I'm trying to decide whether to replace my S3 with either a note 3 or wait for the S5. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry and there are things I like about both phones. S5 has a slightly better chipset (no big deal there), but the big thing for me there is the better camera. The Note 3 has the bigger screen obviously and the S-Pen. So the question is, what is everyone's opinion on this?

Something else to consider is your carrier as well. If you're with sprint the note 3 isn't capable of using their new tri-band lte but the s5 will support that. It's a little ridiculous that they haven't re - released the note 3 to support that even though they did so for the s4. I'm personally going for the s5 ☺☺ my biggest problem is figuring out what color I want lol

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12