Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    danibal's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    The People's Rom 2.2

    Default Galaxy S5 Versus Note 3

    I did a search and didn't see this (pardon me if there is something, but my google-fu isn't very strong), but I'm trying to decide whether to replace my S3 with either a note 3 or wait for the S5. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry and there are things I like about both phones. S5 has a slightly better chipset (no big deal there), but the big thing for me there is the better camera. The Note 3 has the bigger screen obviously and the S-Pen. So the question is, what is everyone's opinion on this?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-08-2014 at 09:25 AM.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,472 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,609 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    That really depends on what you need your phone to do. The S5 likely has a better camera and certainly has a better display.
    I'd go for the S5

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    danibal likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

    ATT N3
    petaf, danibal, UJ95x and 1 others like this.
  4. #4  
    cjb44's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    I'm in the same boat as I'm available for an upgrade on my S3 in July. But I wasn't thinking Note 3, instead I was thinking Note 4.

    The biggest decision for me is that I need an extended battery and when you double the thickness of a Note, it becomes rather large. You can't exactly fit a fat Note in your pocket the same way a S3 or S5 would. Just doing work all day with barely any calls and no media is a battery drain. I'm yet to own a phone that lives up to the battery specs mentioned.

    But if you like the pen and bigger screen go with the note. I haven't had any issues with the S3 camera and both are an upgrade so unless you're looking for something super special, it doesn't matter.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by cjb44 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as I'm available for an upgrade on my S3 in July. But I wasn't thinking Note 3, instead I was thinking Note 4.

    The biggest decision for me is that I need an extended battery and when you double the thickness of a Note, it becomes rather large. You can't exactly fit a fat Note in your pocket the same way a S3 or S5 would. Just doing work all day with barely any calls and no media is a battery drain. I'm yet to own a phone that lives up to the battery specs mentioned.

    But if you like the pen and bigger screen go with the note. I haven't had any issues with the S3 camera and both are an upgrade so unless you're looking for something super special, it doesn't matter.
    I would wait for the note 4

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

    ATT N3
    Note 3 a hassle to carry around? Just buy the otterbox defender case with the holster

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Its really not so bad to carry ,without a case its very thin, do agree with Conanheath, my note 3 is my work companion, its like my Alfred if i worked as batman, it comes in handy with the S pen all the time, i feel like even for those that don't feel that they need it find themselves starting to pull it out and jot something down. I do agree that it depends on what you need it for , but i think with the S5 there are a few gimmicky things with the finger scanner( don't get me wrong its an amazing innovation especially with the heartbeat sensor). but if you don't plan on using it as a fitness mate, then a lot of features don't do much for you on the S5, i think it should go to the note 3 in terms of if you like a phone that can help you get a handle on your daily life, for those of us with hectic routines. But if you want a good phone with good capabilities, and just your basic texting and calling and no need for a stylus the S5 is a win.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    The note 3 is a great phone. That being said you should probably get the s5 or wait for the new note. If you're on a two year upgrade cycle get the newer device. My .02.
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

    Follow Me:

    App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

    Peace & Blessings.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    I decided to buy the note 3 regardless of size and is not a problem even with phone case. The bulkiest case is probably the kraken. They don't really add much bulk (otterbox defender and trident cyclops) note 3 s-pen is great. I have had no problem putting this phone in my pocket but I am a guy and don't wear tight jeans. I also rarely use my nexus 7 now because it doesn't have s pen and the note 3 is almost the same screen size (nexus 7 has bigger bezels)

    Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3
  10. #10  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    The reasons to go with the note 3 imo are screen size and s pen. If those aren't important to you and since camera is important to you then the s5 is probably a better fit

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  11. #11  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    I decided to go with the Note3, the minute differences (upgrades) in the S5 vs Note3 didn't justify the difference in screen size and S pen for ME. I will be using my Note 3 mostly for business
  12. #12  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    As for my opinion - the Note 3 is an incredible "smart-device" and I'm really enjoying my new shiny device. I've actually had two people at my job to go and purchase their own Note 3 devices after seeing mine.

    PS... I just bought my Note 3 two days ago.

    Posted via Android Central App
    ladyc0524 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

    ATT N3
    There is actually 10GB of free space on the GS5, not 8GB
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  14. #14  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    If you wait for the new Note4 then it will be the same cycle

    Wait for the S6 when the Note4 comes and the same question gets asked them people will say wait for the S6.

    Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
  15. #15  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    If you wait for the new Note4 then it will be the same cycle

    Wait for the S6 when the Note4 comes and the same question gets asked them people will say wait for the S6.

    Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    Exactly.

    OP: I dont think you can go wrong with either. It just depends on which one you want.
    TenshiNo likes this.
  16. #16  
    z06psi's Avatar

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Meh.. I will wait for the Note 4. Think Samsung missed an opportunity here.

    Apple is in a lull and Samsung could have really put some quality into this phone but chose not to. Disappointing.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by z06psi View Post
    Meh.. I will wait for the Note 4. Think Samsung missed an opportunity here.

    Apple is in a lull and Samsung could have really put some quality into this phone but chose not to. Disappointing.
    That's how they're playing it, imcremental like upgrades just to keep sales going.

    The Note 4 should be very interesting and will definitely have to feature something interesting since this is already a niche phone.
  18. #18  
    cjb44's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    If you wait for the new Note4 then it will be the same cycle

    Wait for the S6 when the Note4 comes and the same question gets asked them people will say wait for the S6.

    Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    I agree, but I'm available for an upgrade from my S3 on July 10th...so I'm getting one shortly after that. It's either a S5 asap or the N4 in Sept (just guessing on the release date.) Don't wait forever, but waiting a few weeks after your upgrade availabilty makes sense.
  19. #19  
    dsx968's Avatar

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    ROM
    Whatever suits me

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    I went through many of these same questions when I got my Note 3 this past summer. I'm not eligible to upgrade for a while so the S5 isn't an option for me right now. When I do it will probably be something else. I have found that I really don't use the s-pen much after playing around with it. I tried learning new things to do with it but I really don't need it. The size of the phone took some getting used to. It's too big to put in my pocket while at the gym so I resorted to using my work phone (Droid Ultra).
    It isn't rooted. I have yet to try it since coming over from Sprint. It isn't as easy on AT&T and I found that the support community is not that great for rooting.
    I would like to see Samsung improve on their speakers like Motorola and HTC have done with the boom-sound. My Droid is amazing that way and very clear compared to the Samsung. Never been a big fan of HTC or Motorola though.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by danibal View Post
    I did a search and didn't see this (pardon me if there is something, but my google-fu isn't very strong), but I'm trying to decide whether to replace my S3 with either a note 3 or wait for the S5. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry and there are things I like about both phones. S5 has a slightly better chipset (no big deal there), but the big thing for me there is the better camera. The Note 3 has the bigger screen obviously and the S-Pen. So the question is, what is everyone's opinion on this?
    Both great phones and i was in the same position as you and i went for the note 3 with no regrets and the bigger screen was a big + for me.
  21. #21  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Depends on what you are going to use your phone for. My N3 is my brain at work. Too much going on to keep up with and s-pen is a lifesaver for all the little details. But it is big. If it is work related than go for N3. If you are just using phone for calls, texts and consumption than go for the S5. The added screen size on N3 is nice and all but I would have stuck with s4 if I didn't need it for work. Both devices have longevity as far as processor and specs so no issue there. Hold out for 32gb S5 though. 16gb with 8 usable is worthless. I'm not a gamer and my 32gb N3 only has about 8gb left with all my media on sd card. You can't go wrong with either device but if you don't use the s-pen I don't see much point in having a huge phone. Now, that being said, search YouTube for note 3 features and watch some videos on s-pen. There are many uses for it, some of which you might like and use. But, I would honestly rarely use it on a personal level but use it all the time for work related tasks. Just have to decide what your needs are. If you like bigger screen for gaming just buy a tablet because the N3 can be a hassle to carry around sometimes. You can't go wrong with either device.

    ATT N3
    If you work with a lot of documents, carry training manuals on your device, or do a lot of email then the bigger screen is worth it. It's just a better form factor for media - of all types, except maybe music.

    I use the Note III as my personal device. It's a great device. The Specs are fairly close except the Note wins easily on RAM and the S5 will probably win on camera. The Note Camera is still good, though. It's a bit better than the Galaxy S4.

    It really depends on which form factor you prefer, and how you think you will use the device.

    I don't find the Note size to be an issue now. When I first got it my hands were in shock (literally) but I got used to it in like 2 days and now it feels like a normal sized phone to me, and I have small hands. Obviously if you have hands my size you may find yourself using it two handed a lot, but I don't tend to care about that. It probably didn't help that I was using an iPhone 5S for 10 days prior to getting the Note 3, either...

    Another good thing about the Note is the battery life, which is fantastic. I, literally, never have to worry about my battery now. Ever. And it's a liberating feeling to not feel tethered to a charger on a phone, or feel like I have to monitor my usage even occasionally for fear that I will "overuse the device" and end up with battery woes at the least opportune time.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 03-07-2014 at 01:26 PM.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by vamp464 View Post
    That's how they're playing it, imcremental like upgrades just to keep sales going.

    The Note 4 should be very interesting and will definitely have to feature something interesting since this is already a niche phone.
    Note 4 will be to the note 3, as the s3 Is to the s4. I don't expect anything outside of faster processor and possibly quad hd screen. I think they might hold off on quad hd until next year though.

    Posted via Verizon Galaxy Note 3
  23. #23  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    For those on att, the s5 supports lte - a with ca. I believe that the att note 3 didn't support ca.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  24. #24  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Don't go for Samsung again. Their so called superfast octa hexa etc processor sucks a lot, they lag a lot. Always there's a software problem. I am suffering a lot with my phone and also have all Samsung users to suffer

    Posted via Android Central App from Samsung GALAXY S4 (GT-I9500)
  25. #25  

    Default Re: S5 Versus Note 3

    Quote Originally Posted by ranajit saha View Post
    Don't go for Samsung again. Their so called superfast octa hexa etc processor sucks a lot, they lag a lot. Always there's a software problem. I am suffering a lot with my phone and also have all Samsung users to suffer

    Posted via Android Central App from Samsung GALAXY S4 (GT-I9500)
    Well how come their number 2 in sales in the US only behind Apple? My Note3 is fast, doesn't lag and I've never had a software problem with my Note3 or SG3. I really don't know anyone who is suffering because they choose a Samsung device unless they altered the devices of some sort. If Samsung was that bad, I doubt they would be selling as much as they do
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Samsung Galaxy S5 wallpaper Official Lock Screen HD
    By lingang in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: Yesterday, 10:16 PM
  2. 4.4 update what features will the note 3 be getting
    By zaydabarber in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2014, 09:55 AM
  3. 4.4 update - what features will the Note 2 get from update
    By zaydabarber in forum AT&T Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
  4. Will this official update work on any Note 3 including Verizon?
    By Userp222 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
  5. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is Officially Anounced!
    By TechTube14 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions