Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default

    Ok so now that the dust has settled has your views changed?

    I kind of get it now however still don't like the textured back and the Z2 has a better look and i'm sure even though the M8 will keep a similar design to the one many will opt for an alternative.

    The improvements on the S5 are ok not great but it's subtle enough to make an impact but I still believe although this will sell in millions it won't meet sales targets set out by Samsung.

    The waterproofing is great.

    The flattened UI is great

    The Camera will no doubt be an Improvement.

    The Proccesor is improved

    And expandable upto 128mb (cards will be expensive at first) but will come down in price over time.

    So its changed my mind slightly but I will still pass at 600 the Nexus 5 and even Samsungs own Note 3 are better alternatives.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S5 now that the dust has settled.

    I don't think the dust has settled at all just yet. I think the first level of "settling" will be when the first real reviews come out. And the real dust settling will be after it is actually released and consumers can give real feedback.

    For example, the new camera SOUNDS great, but we don't know now any more than Monday if it is any good. Without using the new UI, it's hard to give an opinion on it. The better screen, same thing. How the new back feels in hand, same ... etc ..

    While I do like adding water resistance, I don't love the thought of having to open the little door to charge it every time, and the inherent inability to use any charging docks because of the charging door - that goes along with the water resistance.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 now that the dust has settled.

    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Duncan View Post
    Ok so now that the dust has settled has your views changed?

    I kind of get it now however still don't like the textured back and the Z2 has a better look and i'm sure even though the M8 will keep a similar design to the one many will opt for an alternative.

    The improvements on the S5 are ok not great but it's subtle enough to make an impact but I still believe although this will sell in millions it won't meet sales targets set out by Samsung.

    The waterproofing is great.

    The flattened UI is great

    The Camera will no doubt be an Improvement.

    The Proccesor is improved

    And expandable upto 128mb (cards will be expensive at first) but will come down in price over time.

    So its changed my mind slightly but I will still pass at 600 the Nexus 5 and even Samsungs own Note 3 are better alternatives.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    I don't think the dust has settled at all just yet. I think the first level of "settling" will be when the first real reviews come out. And the real dust settling will be after it is actually released and consumers can give real feedback.

    For example, the new camera SOUNDS great, but we don't know now any more than Monday if it is any good. Without using the new UI, it's hard to give an opinion on it. The better screen, same thing. How the new back feels in hand, same ... etc ..

    While I do like adding water resistance, I don't love the thought of having to open the little door to charge it every time, and the inherent inability to use any charging docks because of the charging door - that goes along with the water resistance.
    Yeah, we are pretty far from the dust settling anytime soon. Its more like it hasn't even been stirred up yet. There do seem to be some pretty nice phones that are coming out this year. As for me, I've looked up the S5 a little bit with some hands on videos and its just another Samsung phone to me again. I won't be getting it and that's that. MILLIONS will though. Just kinda wish others would take a dip into vanilla android and share the fun with me! At least close to it. But yeah! That new HTC One or "m8" as they're calling it, looks pretty nice design wise. I'm sure there is a lot to still come. Especially when it starts getting closer to the fall.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: S5 now that the dust has settled.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
    Yeah, we are pretty far from the dust settling anytime soon. Its more like it hasn't even been stirred up yet. There do seem to be some pretty nice phones that are coming out this year. As for me, I've looked up the S5 a little bit with some hands on videos and its just another Samsung phone to me again. I won't be getting it and that's that. MILLIONS will though. Just kinda wish others would take a dip into vanilla android and share the fun with me! At least close to it. But yeah! That new HTC One or "m8" as they're calling it, looks pretty nice design wise. I'm sure there is a lot to still come. Especially when it starts getting closer to the fall.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    Yeh presumptuous of me perhaps and all very true can't really say until reviews are done and or people can enter a store and see the device in person.

    I was of disbelief at what was announced and yes I expected more not in terms of features but just in terms of design, and perhaps lightening tw, and perhaps offering that unique but useful tweaks.

    Yeh sure waterproofing is great but their are downsides as mentioned. These do have to be in place though you can't have exposed ports. Well not the power anyway managed it with the headphones on the Z1 I believe?

    Yes many more announcements to come and i'm sure this will Sell and well, but many will be waiting for that something better.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    trandz's Avatar

    Posts
    523 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 now that the dust has settled.

    the UI is still inconsistent. What a joke. If you make it flat, make it all flat like Apple. Not "oh well make the toggles flat, but we'll keep the weather app the same last year's". I really dont get the logic. Are 15 year old asian children designing the skin or what?
  6. #6  
    xchange's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 now that the dust has settled.

    Quote Originally Posted by trandz View Post
    the UI is still inconsistent. What a joke. If you make it flat, make it all flat like Apple. Not "oh well make the toggles flat, but we'll keep the weather app the same last year's". I really dont get the logic. Are 15 year old asian children designing the skin or what?
    A common criticism of Touchwiz. They have improved it but sadly I thought it was going to be a much broader change than it ended up being. It's an improvement, don't get me wrong, but it appears that they only did the bare minumum. I was also disappointed that they didn't learn their lesson quite enough yet. The previous iterations of TW were also guilty of being a mish mash of ICS and even old Gingerbread elements throughout the different core apps and settings. There's still some leftover style elements in this latest TW that need to be cleaned up. (But they won't, I wouldn't expect it).

Similar Threads

  1. "tear drop" on the status bar?
    By lgbalfa in forum Motorola Droid MAXX
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 01:12 AM
  2. Will Galaxy S4 get the updated Touchwiz UI?
    By dsl4life in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
  3. Has anyone seen this?
    By remipmc in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
  4. Unfortunately, Mobicop has stopped
    By upasana805 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 11:33 PM
  5. Google now
    By Krolt in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Posting Permissions