Is hating on the new Galaxy S5 the new hating on the new iPhone?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is hating on the new Galaxy the new hating on the new iPhone?

I think it's more than just the Galaxy. A lot of phones (namely the Moto X) that are overhyped by rumors, and when they don't meet expectations (spec-wise) everyone automatically assumes that the phones suck. People are too concerned with specs, and they ignore a phone if it has anything less than the other high end phones that are released.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Rumors-Leaks-Expectations is what leads to disappointment. I should know better but it happened to me. I was underwhelmed because of the 'rumored' designs that were floating around so I 'expected' a visually stimulating/stunning design to happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it! As a matter of fact, I might get it because of the heart rate monitor alone. I'm a hard core gym junkie so that feature tickles my fancy! Still, because of these leaks, I won't be first in line to get the S5. I will be waiting for some time before I make my purchasing decision....thanks to our wonderful rumors/leaks/expectations!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Seems like this happens on most new releases. The dreamers start rumours of this fantastic phone. Then the actual phone shows up and everyone has that feeling of disappointment.

The S5 looks solid with some nice new features in my opinion.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I agree that a lot of phones get this kind of treatment, but not to this extent. There's definitely an unwarranted amount of hate towards what will most likely be a very solid device. When the S4 and One came out last year, the tech world took to the One. It'll be no different this year. It'll be metal, it'll most likely have on screen buttons, and Sense is more universally accepted than Touchwiz.

I'll still be grabbing an S5 over it. It's just preference.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Rumors-Leaks-Expectations is what leads to disappointment. I should know better but it happened to me. I was underwhelmed because of the 'rumored' designs that were floating around so I 'expected' a visually stimulating/stunning design to happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it! As a matter of fact, I might get it because of the heart rate monitor alone. I'm a hard core gym junkie so that feature tickles my fancy! Still, because of these leaks, I won't be first in line to get the S5. I will be waiting for some time before I make my purchasing decision....thanks to our wonderful rumors/leaks/expectations!

I agree that a lot of phones get this kind of treatment, but not to this extent. There's definitely an unwarranted amount of hate towards what will most likely be a very solid device. When the S4 and One came out last year, the tech world took to the One. It'll be no different this year. It'll be metal, it'll most likely have on screen buttons, and Sense is more universally accepted than Touchwiz.

I'll still be grabbing an S5 over it. It's just preference.

I can kind of see the point on the Moto X. Spec-wise, it was behind and most Android fans still get hung up on specs. Moto X specifically went against the spec-war and a lot of people couldn't understand that.

The S5 though is a beast spec wise, but still gets the hate. They're on top right now and it's easy to hate whoever is at that spot.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

From the same article

The Galaxy S5 is a better smartphone than the Galaxy S4. It’s not wildly better, but it’s still a marked improvement. The screen is better, slightly larger yes, and still 1080p, but with improved color and brightness response. The camera is faster. The phone is resistant to water and dust. It’s a better phone

Is it though?

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Great article. Excellent read and exactly on point.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

What I find amusing is this silly notion that people expressing that they're unimpressed or disappointed with a product are "hating". If you speak criticism, you're a hater, is that how it is now?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

What I find amusing is this silly notion that people expressing that they're unimpressed or disappointed with a product are "hating". If you speak criticism, you're a hater, is that how it is now?

If you are disappointed with a product, buy someone else's. Most of the time the criticisms "haters" bring up are foolish remarks, like telling a company who is selling millions of dollars worth of their product, to change to a more expensive material, just because they like it, and not looking at it from a business perspective and realizing why it wouldn't make sense for them .

And other stupid things, like telling a company to stop improving or even putting their custom software on their own phone, without realizing that outside of hardware, phone manufacturers would have nothing that separates themselves from the competition without making their own software improvements .

If you have constructive criticism with valid reasons, sure,but otherwise it's just useless blather.

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I kinda agree,

I still think its natural to want your device to have everything. Even if you like most of the features in a phone it dont mean you cant be a bit envious of other features that your's might be lacking. Now a days flagship phones are all pretty impressive. From the S5 to the LG G2 to the Htc One to the Xperia... They all have good offerings but none of them are the ultimate phone. I currently have the Htc One but i'm jealous of my daughters LG G2's battery life and screen size but i wouldn't run out and get it because of that because there is tons i still love about my One.

The S5 is going to be a good phone but there will always be the "Grass is Greener" people :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I kinda agree,

I still think its natural to want your device to have everything. Even if you like most of the features in a phone it dont mean you cant be a bit envious of other features that your's might be lacking. Now a days flagship phones are all pretty impressive. From the S5 to the LG G2 to the Htc One to the Xperia... They all have good offerings but none of them are the ultimate phone. I currently have the Htc One but i'm jealous of my daughters LG G2's battery life and screen size but i wouldn't run out and get it because of that because there is tons i still love about my One.

The S5 is going to be a good phone but there will always be the "Grass is Greener" people :)

I think this is well said. I do agree that it's fine to want everything (why shouldn't we?). I see a lot of the problem having to do with expectations which just aren't realistic in a platform that is becoming mature. Complete innovation just isn't reasonable to expect every year, though lots of folks don't realize this.

Between the silly rumors about upcoming phones, and the bored tech writers who get spoiled with phones and are never happy, it seems everything is "disappointing" to some degree. When you couple that with most folks' inability to articulate mild disappointment ("I wish it did <this thing> better", gets posted in forums as "TOTAL FAIL" and EPIC Disappointment" and such), it's easy to read just about everything as disappointing - even when it isn't to many people.

I thought the article did a good job of discussing expectations, which is really the genesis of all disappointment after all ...

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I will agree with the premise of this article to some degree. The Z2 is being greeted pretty warmly even though it's no less of an incremental upgrade than the S4 to S5. The same will likely be the case for the next upcoming HTC. When you're Apple or Samsung you have so many followers that you're going to end up with a large segment of vocal dissenters.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I will agree with the premise of this article to some degree. The Z2 is being greeted pretty warmly even though it's no less of an incremental upgrade than the S4 to S5. The same will likely be the case for the next upcoming HTC. When you're Apple or Samsung you have so many followers that you're going to end up with a large segment of vocal dissenters.

Exactly !

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just hate the title of the article...It should say... Is hating on the new galaxy the same as hating on the new iPhone.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Myronmack

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

Amen to this whole article!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa