Why do people hate the Galaxy S5?

diet7up

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Premium feel argument is total BS. Android fanboys never complain about Nexus 5 or Moto X's plastic outer shell. I get it if they complain about S3 and S4, but they haven't even touched S5 yet and still are being judgmental. Ugliness is personal opinion, but stop that premium feel non-sense please.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
A couple of points:

1. The build material and quality DO matter. Just because they don't to you, doesn't mean they don't period. It's fine if you're ok with plastic. I am too. But a metal phone, like the One or the iPhone is simply made of better materials, and it shows, both in feel and in looks. This is one area in which I hoped Samsung would improve (by using metal), but they didn't. There are ways to do plastic right, and I'm not against it. I liked how the S4 felt in the hand honestly, and I feel LG has done a bang-up job with their G2. The Galaxy S5 still uses fake metal as its trim; competitors are made entirely of actual metal. That alone speaks enough about the state of their material choices, imo.

2. Touchwiz seems to have been toned down, which is nice. I'll withhold final judgement on that until I use it. But as it stands now, it is a cartoony mess that detracts from the experience. It has some nice functional touches, but is buried in layers of unnecessary, Gingerbread-styled UI elements and gimmicks. "You can use your own launcher" isn't a valid counterargument. We're speaking of the merits of the handset as a whole package. Yes you can put a launcher on it (which doesn't change nearly all of the UI), you can root it, etc. But should you have to? If something is deficient, it should be acknowledged and hopefully improved, not continually brushed aside.

3. They also seemed to have toned down the "features for the sake of features" that they had going on last year, which is much appreciated.

4. There is no number four.

5. Samsung is still flying in the face of Android with the off-screen buttons and physical home button. And they're still clinging. Definite negative in my book.

6. The SD card - as I've said many times on this forum, it's nice to have, but has some serious downsides which can't be ignored. What's worse is that Samsung will (and I'm hoping this won't be the case) use this as an excuse to ship 16 GB as the base model, which is limiting.

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Plastic feel, and there's a difference putting Nova over tw than putting Nova over vanilla android. Bloat. And the unnecessary apps that Bloat more, for those you won't root. And can't truly delete them. The less apps u can't truly delete on a phone, the better I think. And it seems Samsung's marketing blows everyone else away. Android is about tinkering and choice. Noobies only see mostly Samsung.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why do people hate the S5?

Launchers don't cover anything except skinning the homescreen and app drawer. That's it. You still get TW in all of the core apps - sms, phone, contacts, settings menus, notification panel, etc etc etc - all prevalent throughout the phone

I prefer the TW sms, phone, contacts, and notifications panel apps - BY A MILE - over the stock android versions. YMMV :)

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Now I haven't exactly looked much into it, as I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but whats with all the hate?

When someone doesn't like something it doesn't mean it's hated on. My last two phones were the Galaxy S3 and the S4 but I do not like the S5 and it's more to do with the design than anything.

1) Its not premium!!
Well it has metal sides doesn't it? Thats better then nothing, but to be honest I actually prefer that, don't like Apple or HTC One because of the all metal.

It doesn't have metal sides - it's still plastic and actually this is the part of the design I don't like the most, the cheap looking shiny chrome. The S4 has plastic sides but the faux metal looks far superior to this blinged up nasty design.

2) Ugly back?
Didn't the N7 '12 have a textured back? It was pretty well received, and they did it to reduce slippage, which is a good thing. Plus its exchangable, so what?

This isn't so much of a problem I agree however I don't like the dots either, I tend to put cases on my phone anyway but I hear people saying buy a metal snap on back - I done this with the S3 and it could hardly get any signal what so ever. The phone is not designed to have a metal back and still be as functional.

3) Same old, Same Old.
Not really. Samsung is refining its Touchwiz Software, not as much as we expected but its a start. The Galaxies have held the same design ish, not as close as iPhones, but its pretty much always been the same, even for the windows phones. The HTC M8 is relatively the same, and I hope the Moto X2 is the same-ish design.

Same old same old can be taken by many different aspects - for me it's the design and not so much the software as I like Samsungs stock media apps for there connectivity with other devices like my Samsung Smart TV.

The design needs a refresh, I always assumed Samsung put the money elsewhere with the S line like giving you the best specs above the competition so plastic phone was a compromise - I hate the flex in these phones and the creaks and noises from the chassis it doesn't feel premium at all.

When I seen the 2gb RAM I was like Hello Xperia Z2 - why for my ?600 should I feel like my phone is less "worth it" when I could have a phone that feels worth every penny AND has better internals and is fully waterproof not just resistant.

IMO the design is also a step back from the S4 which had slimmer bezels and I liked the textured glass look and is bigger in every way.

Worst of all - that fingerprint scanner home button has to sit at an angle not even flush to the phone, what on earth were they thinking? This I thought would be the thing that would make me buy it as I like the idea of fingerprint security.

4) Lack of features.
Yes I know Samsung is known for its feature packed phones. But really after all they added with the S4, I'm glad their not doing another S4. Plus if Samsung really fixed up its HR sensor, fitness apps, it would be a dream!

I love my S4, it's a great phone - I was happy to support Samsung if the S5 was a more premium device but they don't want to deliver a device that I feel is worth my money - the S5 is a slight bump up from what I have already, it can't really do much more.

5) I don't know what to put here, but I felt like it needs a 5th.

Nobody has mentioned AMOLED this time around - which is good as it usually gets slated but I believe the S4 has shown it's a proven technology.

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
To you. To you.
And everyone else who's looked at it objectively.

1. The build material and quality DO matter. Just because they don't to you, doesn't mean they don't period. It's fine if you're ok with plastic. I am too. But a metal phone, like the One or the iPhone is simply made of better materials, and it shows, both in feel and in looks.
"Feel" and "looks" to some, perhaps, but it does not show in function. Metal is not only heavier (bad for drops), but it also blocks stuff like WiFi, Bluetooth and phone radio.

So the reason to use metal is because people prefer a crappier phone that they believe looks and feels better.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
And everyone else who's looked at it objectively.

"Feel" and "looks" to some, perhaps, but it does not show in function. Metal is not only heavier (bad for drops), but it also blocks stuff like WiFi, Bluetooth and phone radio.

So the reason to use metal is because people prefer a crappier phone that they believe looks and feels better.
No. Just no. Let us know if you need further explanation as to why.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A couple of points:

6. The SD card - as I've said many times on this forum, it's nice to have, but has some serious downsides which can't be ignored. What's worse is that Samsung will (and I'm hoping this won't be the case) use this as an excuse to ship 16 GB as the base model, which is limiting.

From reading online there is definitely a 16 GB version so I'm sure that will be the base model.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Considering no explanation has been given, I'm going to guess that all I'll get are technical inaccuracies and logical fallacies.

The HTC One is a great phone and I never had issues with reception when I had it. :).

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One is a great phone and I never had issues with reception when I had it. :).

So you haven't had reception issues, therefore metal doesn't affect reception at all? Apparently we're going with logical fallacies first.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Considering no explanation has been given, I'm going to guess that all I'll get are technical inaccuracies and logical fallacies.

No not at all.

If you look at the words you used. Using "Everyone" and "objectively" you'll see you have to be incorrect...as you don't know and can't speak for "everyone". I know its fun for a lot of folks to debate on the internet but I'm not into that anymore (been there, done that). You have an opinion, which is certainly not invalid, but its best to keep in mind that it is indeed just that...an opinion. To many glass, metal, rare jems, etc. feel more premium than "plastic". If you don't feel that way it doesn't make anyone else's preference less valid. Given the competition of the likes of LG, HTC, and Apple...well, Samsung certainly could step up their game in the "premium feel" department.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

One thing I saw sort of touched on but not really expanded is simple.

Samsung used the Galaxy S line to really push boundries hardware-wise. It was the cream of the crop, top-notch stuff. This has forced other companies to push hard to stay caught up. Now we're at a place where spec-wise, flagship phones have pretty much hit par, meaning apart from a specific spec (say camera megapixels) as a package specs are pretty much the same across the board. Also, hardware isn't evolving as fast as it used to, meaning there's not as much "WOW" factor from 2013 models to 2014 models (again, iPhone 5 to 5s, or GS4 to GS5). It seems that now the focus is (or should be) on optimizing hardware and software. Apple has been doing it for years. Moto did it amazingly well with the MotoX and MotoG. I think it's high time for other companies to play "catch up" in this area as well. And yes, Samsung could probably make the biggest strides in this area, but LG's skin is pretty heavy too from what I've read.

The only area (hardware wise) that really needs to be improved is battery life. Sadly, this is something where it's out of smartphone maker's hands. Li-Ion batteries have been around forever, and while there're good, they haven't evolved at nearly the same pace as other mobile technology.

So, part of the hate is that Sammy just can't WOW people like they did with the first Galaxy S, the S2, the S3, and to a lesser extent, the S4. Now that the S5 is a slight "evolution" rather then ground-breaking, people are disappointed that a company that once was known for being cutting edge, is now seemingly to play it safe. You don't want to push boundries too far, because you'll be alienating your current customer base - which looking at Sammy's sales numbers is fairly significant. There's also the rumored F-series to keep in mind, and the Note series (which seems to be taking over as the "ground-breaking" model instead of the S line) to keep in mind as well.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
No not at all.

If you look at the words you used. Using "Everyone" and "objectively" you'll see you have to be incorrect...as you don't know and can't speak for "everyone". I know its fun for a lot of folks to debate on the internet but I'm not into that anymore (been there, done that). You have an opinion, which is certainly not invalid, but its best to keep in mind that it is indeed just that...an opinion. To many glass, metal, rare jems, etc. feel more premium than "plastic". If you don't feel that way it doesn't make anyone else's preference less valid. Given the competition of the likes of LG, HTC, and Apple...well, Samsung certainly could step up their game in the "premium feel" department.

So you went with logical fallacy, too. Because our definitions of "premium feel" may be different, then the technical reasons I gave aren't valid. You didn't even try to address anything I said. You just agreed with me that "feel" and "looks" may only apply to some people. You can't say that the objective reasons I gave are wrong and then only site subjective reasons, which I already said only apply to some.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So you went with logical fallacy, too. Because our definitions of "premium feel" may be different, then the technical reasons I gave aren't valid. You didn't even try to address anything I said. You just agreed with me that "feel" and "looks" may only apply to some people. You can't say that the objective reasons I gave are wrong and then only site subjective reasons, which I already said only apply to some.

I didn't go more into it because it's a tired debate. So tired that I'm more than willing to say, "You're right." just to end this than respond much further to you're statement that the premium feel argument is BS. What seems as obvious to me as the color of the sky is that its "BS" to you not to "everyone" else who looks at it "objectively" as I believe I read that you stated. Do you really needs it described as to why? Really? I'm not here to debate it further though, I just don't have enough interest, so, therefore, "You're right."

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Who says they have to?!

Just those that would like to see their phones crafted from more premium materials. But, as noted earlier, there are other options for those that feel that way. As irrelevant as the point may be to some it is relevant to others. That, that is my only position. Samsung can do whatever they want. They're selling phones so they have no reason to change their formula...one might say.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's ugly, and offers nothing innovative.

Please tell me how the HTC One, LG G2, LG G Pro 2, and Nexus 5 were "innovative".

The most overused word when these arguments pop up.