Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Why do people hate the Galaxy S5?

Now I haven't exactly looked much into it, as I'm not a big fan of Samsung, but whats with all the hate?
    1) Its not premium!!
    Well it has metal sides doesn't it? Thats better then nothing, but to be honest I actually prefer that, don't like Apple or HTC One because of the all metal.
    2) Ugly back?
    Didn't the N7 '12 have a textured back? It was pretty well received, and they did it to reduce slippage, which is a good thing. Plus its exchangable, so what?
    3) Same old, Same Old.
    Not really. Samsung is refining its Touchwiz Software, not as much as we expected but its a start. The Galaxies have held the same design ish, not as close as iPhones, but its pretty much always been the same, even for the windows phones. The HTC M8 is relatively the same, and I hope the Moto X2 is the same-ish design.
    4) Lack of features.
    Yes I know Samsung is known for its feature packed phones. But really after all they added with the S4, I'm glad their not doing another S4. Plus if Samsung really fixed up its HR sensor, fitness apps, it would be a dream!
    5) I don't know what to put here, but I felt like it needs a 5th.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-04-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    Thanked by 5:

Default Re: Why do people hate the S5?

Great points
    As for the textured back, it can easily be replaced by better ones on eBay, so I don't see why people complain about that so much
    As for Touchwiz, I use Nova Launcher I never use Touchwiz..launcher can be replaced
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
    Greg C likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Launchers don't cover anything except skinning the homescreen and app drawer. That's it. You still get TW in all of the core apps - sms, phone, contacts, settings menus, notification panel, etc etc etc - all prevalent throughout the phone
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Launchers don't cover anything except skinning the homescreen and app drawer. That's it. You still get TW in all of the core apps - sms, phone, contacts, settings menus, notification panel, etc etc etc - all prevalent throughout the phone
    Then why buy a SAMSUNG device? I mean yeah you could flash a ROM, but it makes zero sense when people praise samsung, say all this good stuff, but have a stock rom flashed.
    Thanked by 2:
    MERCDROIDRy 
    Ry, MERCDROID, A895 and 1 others like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    Then why buy a SAMSUNG device? I mean yeah you could flash a ROM, but it makes zero sense when people praise samsung, say all this good stuff, but have a stock rom flashed.
    I agree.

Well you could download new dialers, messaging apps, and others from the app store (The benefit of Android)...you dont have to keep it
    I personally dont see anything wrong with the stock Messages and Dialer...I think its perfectly fine
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Well you could download new dialers, messaging apps, and others from the app store (The benefit of Android)...you dont have to keep it
    I personally dont see anything wrong with the stock Messages and Dialer...I think its perfectly fine
    Not debating whether or not 3rd party replacements for core apps like those are a solution (although they never integrate throughout the phone as well as Samsung's own) or whether or not they're fine, I'm simply pointing out that launchers are not capable of skinning anything other than the two points I listed.

I agree.
    What you guys dislike....others might like....and vice versa. I like TW because it serves my needs very well! So well in fact that its whats kept me with Samsung up until now. I've decided to look for another device not because I dislike Samsung but simply because I want to try something else. I just hope that whatever else I pick serves my needs as well or better than my previous devices.

Not debating whether or not 3rd party replacements for core apps like those are a solution (although they never integrate throughout the phone as well as Samsung's own) or whether or not they're fine, I'm simply pointing out that launchers are not capable of skinning anything other than the two points I listed.
    Well yeah that's true, but its still beneficial to those who don't like Touchwiz UI (like me)...it pretty much makes the phone UI into a whole new phone except for the stock apps, unless u replace them

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I don't even think the sides of the S5 are metal. Samsung just doesn't have it in them to use the real deal in their phones. No metal sides. No leather back. No Kevlar or carbon fiber.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.

Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Well yeah that's true, but its still beneficial to those who don't like Touchwiz UI (like me)...it pretty much makes the phone UI into a whole new phone except for the stock apps, unless u replace them
    But it doesn't. Launchers only affect the homescreen and app drawer appearance, nothing more. As soon as you delve any deeper, it's TW, Sense, or whatever else. Same goes for notifications.

But it doesn't. Launchers only affect the homescreen and app drawer appearance, nothing more. As soon as you delve any deeper, it's TW, Sense, or whatever else. Same goes for notifications.
    Well technically it's not a new phone, but it makes it feel like it, especially if you customize it right...for example I love my UI, and people who also have a GS4 have told me its like I have a new phone and wonder how I customize mine so well

People usually complain about the Touchwiz UI, and a launcher can fix that. I know it wont fix the looks of the settings and all that other internal crap, but as long as I like my HS's thats good

I to use Nova. There are many things that Nova provides that neither stock android or TW does. The ability to customize the look and size of icons, folders, dock and app drawer. Better spacing between icons and widgets to get that perfect look. Better folders. The use of Gestures. Badges. All of which I use. The TW stuff that's left over doesn't bother me.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.

I plan on using Nova or Holo HD too. A lot of stuffs in TW can be turned off, disabled or even replaced with other apps from what I see. It doesn't bother me much.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.

Sammy devices are usually ahead of the competition when it comes to specs and hardware (not anymore with the GS5), so people who want a superior hardware experience AND software experience - that's who flashes a Sammy device.

Default Re: Why do people hate the Galaxy S5?

I have had my note ii since it came out on tmobile and by csme out I mean on its launch day I was there at 9am to buy it.

I was rooted and running a custum rom the next day.

I ran cyogen mod once it came out, I ran a few others, but my favorite is jedi, still running it, based on stock with touchwiz. I dont like those vanilla aokp roms on samsung devices. [Except the precedent because of vm heap] now on htc devices yes because I dislike sense so I can see why some dislike tw. But hey to each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by prepaidguy9081 View Post
    I have had my note ii since it came out on tmobile and by csme out I mean on its launch day I was there at 9am to buy it.

I was rooted and running a custum rom the next day.

I ran cyogen mod once it came out, I ran a few others, but my favorite is jedi, still running it, based on stock with touchwiz. I dont like those vanilla aokp roms on samsung devices. [Except the precedent because of vm heap] now on htc devices yes because I dislike sense so I can see why some dislike tw. But hey to each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
    What I REALLY like about TW that I use daily and that I feel should be standard on all Android devices is the 'swipe left to message' and 'right to call on contacts'. I use it so much in fact that it might be a problem if my next device doesn't have it. I'm running Wicked Sensations rom on my S3 because its a TW based rom.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    What I REALLY like about TW that I use daily and that I feel should be standard on all Android devices is the 'swipe left to message' and 'right to call on contacts'. I use it so much in fact that it might be a problem if my next device doesn't have it. I'm running Wicked Sensations rom on my S3 because its a TW based rom.
    That's easily one of the best UI advancements I've ever seen in Android.

To answer the OP, people hate the S5 because Samsung is popular. There's no big mystery there.
    Thanked by:
    A895 likes this.

The sides are also plastic, not real metal. As to why people dislike, who knows. I dont like Samsung products generally, because I dislike the UI (I dont like Launchers), and their devices are filled with Samsung stuff, taking up way too much space. The GS4 GPE was a good device though, that I can use. I think the GS5 is uglier than the GS4, and it should have been the other way around.

Honestly, in the "real world" Samsung devices are NOT hated, but reading some of the Blogs you would think so...just my .02 cents
    A895 likes this.

Premium feel argument is total BS. Android fanboys never complain about Nexus 5 or Moto X's plastic outer shell. I get it if they complain about S3 and S4, but they haven't even touched S5 yet and still are being judgmental. Ugliness is personal opinion, but stop that premium feel non-sense please.

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by diet7up View Post
    Premium feel argument is total BS.
    To you. To you.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.

A couple of points:

1. The build material and quality DO matter. Just because they don't to you, doesn't mean they don't period. It's fine if you're ok with plastic. I am too. But a metal phone, like the One or the iPhone is simply made of better materials, and it shows, both in feel and in looks. This is one area in which I hoped Samsung would improve (by using metal), but they didn't. There are ways to do plastic right, and I'm not against it. I liked how the S4 felt in the hand honestly, and I feel LG has done a bang-up job with their G2. The Galaxy S5 still uses fake metal as its trim; competitors are made entirely of actual metal. That alone speaks enough about the state of their material choices, imo.

2. Touchwiz seems to have been toned down, which is nice. I'll withhold final judgement on that until I use it. But as it stands now, it is a cartoony mess that detracts from the experience. It has some nice functional touches, but is buried in layers of unnecessary, Gingerbread-styled UI elements and gimmicks. "You can use your own launcher" isn't a valid counterargument. We're speaking of the merits of the handset as a whole package. Yes you can put a launcher on it (which doesn't change nearly all of the UI), you can root it, etc. But should you have to? If something is deficient, it should be acknowledged and hopefully improved, not continually brushed aside.

3. They also seemed to have toned down the "features for the sake of features" that they had going on last year, which is much appreciated.

4. There is no number four.

5. Samsung is still flying in the face of Android with the off-screen buttons and physical home button. And they're still clinging. Definite negative in my book.

6. The SD card - as I've said many times on this forum, it's nice to have, but has some serious downsides which can't be ignored. What's worse is that Samsung will (and I'm hoping this won't be the case) use this as an excuse to ship 16 GB as the base model, which is limiting.
    Thanked by:
    Topgonzo likes this.

Plastic feel, and there's a difference putting Nova over tw than putting Nova over vanilla android. Bloat. And the unnecessary apps that Bloat more, for those you won't root. And can't truly delete them. The less apps u can't truly delete on a phone, the better I think. And it seems Samsung's marketing blows everyone else away. Android is about tinkering and choice. Noobies only see mostly Samsung.

I prefer the TW sms, phone, contacts, and notifications panel apps - BY A MILE - over the stock android versions. YMMV :-)
    BigBernard and Haalcyon like this.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast