Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 or Sony Experia Z2

Im split between the two. Going for the S5 is removable batt, fingerprint, download boost, ultra batt saver, 32gb memory, fadt charge. Going for Z2 is beautiful design, better camera, 3GB RAM, stereo speakers, 5.2" screen.

The dedicated two stage camera hardware button seems to be the deal breaker for me and swaying me to the Z2. But the removable batt of the S5 has saved me a couple of times when im out and about.

Your thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Galaxy S5 or Sony Experia Z2

The z2 also has an ips display which will handle sunlight better than amoled. Though if kept dark the amoled screen will preserve battery more...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I did not know that. Im out in the beach a lot so that could be a plus. But are you saying it (S5) will also consume more battery?

No the amoled, if the pixels are kept dark should consume less battery {see active display of the Moto X} the z2 has a 3200 mah battery when the S5 has a 2800 mah removable battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Can't say better camera because Sony has more pixels..I've heard the z1 camera was average at best..

If you only go by spec sheets, Z2 looks better. But Xperia was not so good in battery optimization as they were shorter than others with the same size battery. They have good reputation on camera though but I don't like bumping sensor pixels up to 20MP. Samsung seems to have made good efforts into GS5 camera (phase auto-focus, ISOCELL sensor). So I'd say battery and camera is wash at this point and we should wait for real reviews on that.

I was leaning quite a bit toward the Z2, partly because I'm attracted to the 4K video capability (which the S5 has too) and partly because it's just a really pretty phone.

However when I've looked at the 4K videos posted from both cameras, the S5 seems to be producing the better video. This is not what I expected and part of it was I was sucked in by all the 4K camera marketing hype by Sony. This is not to say as the videos come out from real production phones, that it might not look better. But going by what I've seen thus far, the edge goes to the S5.

I also don't see anything released yet that the Z2 will be on AT&T. That means importing it for me, assuming that Sony doesn't sell an unlocked version of it for use in the U.S.

I'd agree that the jury is still out on the camera as well. Lens, sensor and software will win over MPs anyday, so we'll have to see how well the Sony and Samsung implementations turn out to be.

Its a really close call for me
    I was considering the Z2 but someone (who had experience with the Z1) said the display was pretty bad in daylight
    Also the S5 I think has a bit more appealing camera features

I feel like I've been swept up by all the Samsung hate and I'm slowly making my way back especially after reading all the lacking features these other OEM devices have. Only time will tell.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Wow so im not alone. I thought i was the only one who was considering switching to Z2. As per reviews and forums on Z1, it seems the battery lasting long and the camera of Z1 was decent enough (i was trying to get a feel for future Z2 performance by reading Z1 reviews).

So camerawise, you guys think the S5 has the edge?

Also, when they say waterproof and it is IPxx certified, are they also saying it is good in SALTWATER? Apparently, supposedly not for saltwater but some videos on youtube show the Z1 and S4 active being taken to saltwater and surviving it.

Heck, im so torn with the two i might just buy both fones lol

Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    986 Global Posts

I want to like the Z2, but IMHO, the archaic UI, slow updates, the massive bezels, the underperforming camera and the massive bezels (i realize I said it twice) are a big turn off for me. In comparison the swappable battery for me is the big plus to the S5, ive used one with every Samsung i've owned and its wonderful going from 2%-100% in 15 seconds. Im more interested in the HTC One vs S5 but im still leaning to the S5 just because of the overcomplained yet still valid unnecessary bezel.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    I want to like the Z2, but IMHO, the archaic UI, slow updates, the massive bezels, the underperforming camera and the massive bezels (i realize I said it twice) are a big turn off for me. In comparison the swappable battery for me is the big plus to the S5, ive used one with every Samsung i've owned and its wonderful going from 2%-100% in 15 seconds. Im more interested in the HTC One vs S5 but im still leaning to the S5 just because of the overcomplained yet still valid unnecessary bezel.
    Yes you are right about the bezels being big. The UI doesnt bother me as i always use NOVA launcher. You feel the S5 takes better pics than the Z2?

The new upcoming HTC one might be worth a look for me, but if its not waterproofed and non removable batt then ill pass.

Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    986 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hdradaza View Post
    Yes you are right about the bezels being big. The UI doesnt bother me as i always use NOVA launcher. You feel the S5 takes better pics than the Z2?

The new upcoming HTC one might be worth a look for me, but if its not waterproofed and non removable batt then ill pass.

I saw some photos comparing the Z1 and Z2, and it seems to me that the Z2 has some white balance issues, and it isnt as good as they make it out to be. Im not saying the S5 is better, but it looks good to me.

Thus far, if you're interested in videos, the 4K videos coming from the S5 look better than those from the Z2. But it may be too early to draw anything definitive from the samples out there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Between the two? Z2 definitely. I love the build and style on that.

{iRiidium} Technophile. 2 of 4 

Still no word on what, if any, U.S. carriers will even carry the Z2. T-Mobile perhaps, but I have no interest in them do to coverage issues.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
    Still no word on what, if any, U.S. carriers will even carry the Z2. T-Mobile perhaps, but I have no interest in them do to coverage issues.
    ...and thus is the conundrum, as I believe T-Mobile will be the only US carrier to get it (since they normally carry Sony phones). Perhaps Sony can branch out and AT&T can get it too.

{iRiidium} Technophile. 3 of 4 
    erockstar likes this.

Im in the same boat, I have been a galaxy user since the gs2, I now have the gs3, and my latest update hasn't impressed me. Hopefully kitkat fixes many bugs. Im leaning twards the sony z2 because its built with better materials. Ill have to see it in person to ultimately decide if the bezels are too big and how the phone feels in my pocket. As for 4k talk, you cannot judge any videos of quality you may have seen unless youre actually viewing them on a 4k television or screen. The galaxy camera has been great for me but sony has been good at making cameras longer than samsung. Im sick of alot of blotwear from samsung I dont use half of the crap thats stuck on my gs3, from what ive read and watched the sony will be closer to stock android than the gs5 which for me is better. I can make it my phone. I also like the accessories sony offers. But I will have to see them both in person to make a final decision. Im not ruling samsung out yet because I know its going to be a good phone.

Actually you can judge the video quality as they're both downscaled to 1080p in the same manner. You can watch both the Samsung & the Sony the same way, so no phone has an advantage that way. It's not as if you're watching one on a 4K TV and the other on a regular HDTV. Judging both that way, the Samsung just looks better. It's sharper with better colors.

With that said, we'll see if Sony makes some tweaks in the actual production runs. For me though, it's looking more and more like a moot point since it doesn't appear AT&T will even carry the Z2 and I have no intention of switching to TMobile to get one.
    robstunner likes this.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hdradaza View Post
    Wow so im not alone. I thought i was the only one who was considering switching to Z2. As per reviews and forums on Z1, it seems the battery lasting long and the camera of Z1 was decent enough (i was trying to get a feel for future Z2 performance by reading Z1 reviews).

So camerawise, you guys think the S5 has the edge?

Also, when they say waterproof and it is IPxx certified, are they also saying it is good in SALTWATER? Apparently, supposedly not for saltwater but some videos on youtube show the Z1 and S4 active being taken to saltwater and surviving it.

Heck, im so torn with the two i might just buy both fones lol

I am currently using an iPhone 5 but have a Nexus 5 that I switch to when the itch needs to be scratched. Both the Z2 and GS5 appeal to me on several levels: water resistance, battery capacities, and larger displays. Build quality is also important and I'd give the nod to Sony between the two. Now that my 4 year old is swimming every weekend and we have been going to the beach regularly the feature that appeals to me the most is the IP rating on both phones. I never would have guessed that it would be the big feature for me this upgrade cycle. I've seen a person with a Z1 at the pool and it is both an awesome and handy feature to have. The viewing angles were not great but the build quality was exceptional. The rub is that I'd be willing to bet the Z2 doesn't hit AT&T. I'd like to see what Apple does with the iPhone 6 but I'd guess that it will not have an IP certification. Ack, this decision will be tough.

Rumours from people in the know say the Z2 is coming to Verizon. Shocking I know. But this source is always dead on with Sony details.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robertopod1968 View Post
    Rumours from people in the know say the Z2 is coming to Verizon. Shocking I know. But this source is always dead on with Sony details.
    Anything on the AT&T side?

Quote Originally Posted by robertopod1968 View Post
    How ironic would that be, the Z2 on Verizon and not on AT&T...and I just switched from Verizon to AT&T...of course. I still would find it hard to believe that if it winds up on Verizon it wouldn't on AT&T. After all, this is essentially a GSM phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Default Galaxy S5 or Sony Experia Z2

Does Sony typically include CDMA radios? If not it would be an interesting change for them and I'd wonder why they'd not include Sprint as well.

0rbital  Halcyon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast