Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Default Keep Nexus 5 or return it and wait for S5?

Anyone debating between the Nexus 5 and the GS5? I've had a Nexus 5 for about 10 days so I'm still within my return period and I'm trying to decide if I should keep this phone or return it and wait for the GS5. My top 2 priorities are camera performance (I have 2 small kids that I like to get good pics of) and battery life. Any opinions?

Default Re: Keep Nexus 5 or return it and wait for S5?

Quote Originally Posted by davekr View Post
    Anyone debating between the Nexus 5 and the GS5? I've had a Nexus 5 for about 10 days so I'm still within my return period and I'm trying to decide if I should keep this phone or return it and wait for the GS5. My top 2 priorities are camera performance (I have 2 small kids that I like to get good pics of) and battery life. Any opinions?
    The camera and battery life should be allot better in the gs5

Posted via Android Central App

I think the N5 camera is quite good, but the S5's is probably even better. And it's well-documented that the N5's battery life is average at best, although with my moderate daily use, I always have at least 40% left by the end of the day. If you're a heavy user, then you may want to trade it in. That being said, Samsung's recent track record of system updates has not been good, often leading to various bugs and glitches, including decreased battery life. If updates are important to you, the N5 will likely be much better.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Yeah, I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the camera quality with the Nexus. I had bought one when it first came out, but it was impossible for me to get a non-blurry photo of my kids so I returned it. After hearing good things about the software updates regarding the camera quality, I decided to give it another shot and there is definitely a big improvement.

I'm in a similar situation with the battery on the N5. My typical use has me left with between 20 and 40 percent by the time I go to plug it in at night. I'm not a heavy user by any means, but I think sometimes I get caught up with the idea that I shouldn't EVER have to plug my phone in during the day. The reality for me is that if I am doing something like using GPS I can plug in the phone to keep it going throughout the day.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the N5. I'd be buying the GS5 off contract so the price is a factor here as well. I'm not sure the GS5 is going to be so much better that it makes me feel good about spending probably 300 more for the phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Some of the things that make me want to consider the GS5 are the fingerprint scanner and the slow motion video capability. I had both of those features on the iPhone 5S that I had before getting my Nexus. The fingerprint scanner is actually very convenient since I am required by my job to have a 6+ digit pin on my phone, and the slow motion video was just fun to play with with my kids.

Global Posts
    1,856 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by davekr View Post
    Some of the things that make me want to consider the GS5 are the fingerprint scanner and the slow motion video capability. I had both of those features on the iPhone 5S that I had before getting my Nexus. The fingerprint scanner is actually very convenient since I am required by my job to have a 6+ digit pin on my phone, and the slow motion video was just fun to play with with my kids.
    Sounds to me like your sold on the gs5 in which case I would say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk