Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By thegrants82
  • 5 Post By smooth4lyfe
  • 1 Post By gavinfabl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)

Mobile-review.com Обзор камеры в Galaxy S5 – 16 мегапикселей последнего поколения
    This website did an in-depth camera review of the Galaxy S5 camera and all its features, as well as many sample shots and compared it with others. Go on the website for high def versions of the pictures

Here are some of them:

Sample Shots
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-regular-samples.jpg
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-regular-samples-2.jpg

Low Light/HDR Mode
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-screen-shot-2014-03-19-4.44.40-pm.png

Indoors
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-indoors.png
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-flowers.png

Zooming In
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-zoom-1.png
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-zoom-2.png

Crop Close
    Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)-crop-close.png
    Banned

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

Default Re: Camera Test (Galaxy S5 v. Nokia Lumia 1520 v. Galaxy Note 3) (PICS)

Lumia easy.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Lumia easy.
    No way dude...the GS5 and the Note 3 are better...the Lumia gives a blue colored hue on its pics

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    No way dude...the GS5 and the Note 3 are better...the Lumia gives a blue colored hue on its pics
    I agree, the Lumia seems to have more brightness then the S5 and Note 3. The S5 seems the be perfectly saturated in my opinion

I think S5 + Note 3 is better than 1520

The only issues I have noticed with my prior Note 3 was in low light settings but then again no phone camera is any good at low light, IMO.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,682 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (4.3)

This makes me happy I got the Note 3 and didn't sit around anticipating like a lot of people are.

Nokia still seems to have hue and softness issues. The pictures are decently lighted though, at least.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

What the hell is up with those Lumia 1520 shots? First set look too blue for some reason, second set looks okay except I don't know what happened with that Flower and what color it was actually supposed to be. Third set went back to being blue.

Camera looks very impressive which is a very important thing for me since I take a crap ton of pictures on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacharyw70 View Post
    What the hell is up with those Lumia 1520 shots? First set look too blue for some reason, second set looks okay except I don't know what happened with that Flower and what color it was actually supposed to be. Third set went back to being blue.

Camera looks very impressive which is a very important thing for me since I take a crap ton of pictures on my phone.
    Camera has a poor white balance. Either shoots to cool or to warm. Either way someone needs to gray card it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

looking like note 3 has a better camera quality...........

I was eagerly awaiting an S5 camera test but I'll sadly need to take this one with a pinch of salt as the credibility of the tester must be called into question. I've seen a Lumia 1020 (indisputably one of the best camera phones) tested against the 1520 by Steve Litchfield, one of the best camera reviewers around, and the latter put up a good fight, albeit losing that battle. Yet here it does appallingly.

Eldar's anti-Nokia sentiment is also well documented. Sadly this leaves a question mark over this entire review, in my opinion. I look forward to a more credible one. I really do want the S5 to have a great camera.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Note 3 wins.

But these are easy shots. I want to see pets in motion in overcast conditions.
    msavic6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinfabl View Post
    Note 3 wins.

But these are easy shots. I want to see pets in motion in overcast conditions.
    Im waiting for these kind of shots aswell. I want to be able to take pictures of moving subjects and not have to worry about blur.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

99% of my pictures are of my family, so these shots of still subjects in every camera shootout in no way equates to my real world use. Taking a picture of a landmark in the middle of town is a breeze compared to a squirmy five year old.

I fully agree with the sentiments above. These tests always shoot still subjects. Real life involves shooting kids playing soccer, pets running, and other movement. And it's under these circumstances most cell cameras battle with endless blurring. Especially in less than ideal lighting, which is often the case. Focus on this in all reviews and maybe the manufacturers will start focusing on this too!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

The Note 3 camera is poor, optical zoom is non existent and becomes grainy the instant you zoom in. As for image stabilisation...getting a photo that isn't blurry is a real challenge. I may have been spoilt before my Note 3 with the Lumia 1020's camera but I'd bet my life on the 1520 camera being the best of the 3 in question here. Much better zooming and much better image stabilisation for starters.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    99% of my pictures are of my family, so these shots of still subjects in every camera shootout in no way equates to my real world use. Taking a picture of a landmark in the middle of town is a breeze compared to a squirmy five year old.
    Agreed, kids don't stand in the perfect light, assuming you can get them to stand still. So I'd like to see some comparisons of that. Show me poor lighting and moving kids...otherwise the camera doesn't matter much. I'm waiting to see the new Galaxy K before buying, assuming it's released within the next three months. Also the Note 4 when it comes out this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
    Camera has a poor white balance. Either shoots to cool or to warm. Either way someone needs to gray card it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    I agree about the white balance issues in those outdoor pictures with the Nokia. Presuming they were all set to auto it was the least accurate for the outdoor shots under those conditions (a bit cloudy posing a challenge?). The indoor shots look pretty fantastic though to my eyes (just viewing the thumbnails).

From what I am gathering and very little personal experience so far with it to generate my own opinion – it appears the S5 excels with outdoor shots in daylight and might not rank at the top with indoor low light photos. Oh well. That wouldn’t be unique to this camera much less a camera phone. They seem generally acceptable if not stellar.

I did tinker last weekend with manually adjusting the ISO and throwing in a HDR shot in an evening low light test shot group. I wasn’t blown away by the results.

I am impressed with how well some of these other camera phones perform in more challenging conditions, but apparently the camera alone wasn’t the deciding factor for me. It would have to be one pretty amazing camera in a phone to be the primary deciding factor. Nokia is definitely seeming to lead the pack with their cameras and the Iphone 5S is great too overall.

I wanted to check out an Android device and this S5 performs some pretty amazing tricks; including holding over a half dozen movies on a 64gig external SD card from my Ultraviolet Collection on Flixster that I can watch on the amazing little screen it has, etc. I just figured out that Flixster will let you do that even though Vudu won’t.

The top level decision is carrier. It's Sprint or Verizon, so a lot of these GSM only models are out. My number one personal criterion is OS. It Android or nothing for me. After that, it's size (I carried a Note 2 for 8 months and it's just not to my taste). The S5 is at my limit for size. Any bigger and it's a no go. It's not the screen size as much as it is the footprint that matters. Personally, the S4 was the absolute perfect size and the S5 is a little bigger than I would have liked. After that, it's camera. Live HDR is a killer feature. It's not as popular as it should be -- it's the biggest reason I love the S5 camera. Things that I care about but aren't deal breakers are waterproofing, fingerprint scanner (both nice to have but don't trump camera). Screen quality is a tie breaker rather than a deal breaker.

The rest aren't really important because there's a certain parity to speed, call quality, battery, etc. Materials and styling do not matter at all.

Which is a long winded way to say, yes -- I would totally get a phone just for the camera.

Lumia seems to have a haze on the pics? GS5 wins in this battle.

I found the S5 to win in most of the comparisons. A few ties with the Note 3 and a couple of (close) wins for the Note.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

The Lumia 1520 offers a Windows Phone experience unlike any we’ve seen before. With its top-notch hardware, fantastic imaging and constantly improving firmware, I can’t be more impressed at a phone this much.

I'd say it's pretty close between the lumia and S5. I think I'd call it a draw but if anything the S5 probably edges it.

Posted from my nexus 7 2013

Awesome to see the galaxy s5 camera is very competent and in some ways better. Thanks for sharing.