Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Does anybody have any good / bad experience pre-ordering from Best Buy?

I registered last month for that extra $50 "gift card reserve offer". Does anybody know if you can combine that offer with a trade in value? I think the S3 is still being estimated at $75 trade in if it's in great condition.

Also, I'm a Verizon customer (trust me not by choice - I'm only 1 of 5 lines and not the account holder / decision maker) is it better for me to stick with the Asurian insurance coverage or go with whatever plan Best Buy is going to pitch me? I did have to put in a claim with my S3 and don't want to be without coverage.

Thanks for the advice!

Global Posts
    8,801 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

Default Re: Buying from Best Buy?

My family and friends (and me) had only good experience with best buy pre ordering.

Normally, they'll work with you to combine stuff that saves you money.

Understand what you already have with asurion and compare to the plan from best buy see which one is best for you.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Best buy insurance is worse than Verizon asurion.

Verizon asurion $5.18 /mo wireless protection program or $3/mo extended warranty, or both for $8/mo.$99 deductible per claim, 2 claim limit per year. Covers loss theft and physical damage

Best Buy geek squad protection is $10/mo,$149 deductible, and only covers physical damage.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Worlds2See likes this.

You can combine the trade in offers with the $50 gift card reserve, yes.

The insurance is up to what you think you need most. Generally, if you are worried about losing your phone, get Verizon's plan. If worried about Damage, I would get Best Buy's plan.

Posted via Android Central App

Do most of you guys buy the coverage? I never invested in a protection plan before

Global Posts
    8,801 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

I did get the insurance from Sprint's Asurion for the Palm Prē and the Motorola Photon. Last July when I got this Galaxy S4 I got bestbuy's insurance since it was a lot cheaper paying it all upfront the same day I got the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    You can combine the trade in offers with the $50 gift card reserve, yes.

The insurance is up to what you think you need most. Generally, if you are worried about losing your phone, get Verizon's plan. If worried about Damage, I would get Best Buy's plan.

Why would you pick best buy over Verizon asurion? Both cover physical damage. Only benefit is best buy has 3 claim limit total whereas Verizon asurion has 2 claim limit per year. So if you need insurance that third time in a year then best buy would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Why would you pick best buy over Verizon asurion? Both cover physical damage. Only benefit is best buy has 3 claim limit total whereas Verizon asurion has 2 claim limit per year. So if you need insurance that third time in a year then best buy would be better.

Must have changed, when I had that horrible htc thunderbolt I ended up getting it replaced at least 4 times (screens aren't safe around me lol) and after the 4th replacement they gave me a droid maxx

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Carrier
    The People's Rom 2.2

If I do order it from best buy, would I have to pay $15 more a month for my sprint bill?

$15 for what exactly?

Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. 😐😑😠😡😡😡😤😤😤

Quote Originally Posted by hardrocker89 View Post
    Must have changed, when I had that horrible htc thunderbolt I ended up getting it replaced at least 4 times (screens aren't safe around me lol) and after the 4th replacement they gave me a droid maxx

Before best buy had no deductible and no claim limit, with same monthly premium. Sweet.

They changed it recently so that it is much worse.

Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. 😐😑😠😡😡😡😤😤😤

Best Buy may price match Sprint full retail

Zookeeper63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Best Buy may price match Sprint full retail

So better to just go into a store instead of online? I was wanting to use bestbuy for getting the s5 since they offered the $50 towards an upgrade.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Carrier
    The People's Rom 2.2

$15 for what exactly?

I thought Sprint charges you $15 more a month now if you don't get a phone through their easypay or whatever they call it method now and have the framily plan?

Global Posts
    5,724 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Thinking of just buying from a sprint store. Best buy is wanting $100 more for the phone (full retail price) compared to sprint's listing of $650. ������������������

Best Buy generally will hike up their "retail value" prices - usually a hundred bucks over what the carriers are charging. You can sometimes get them to match the carrier pricing but I wouldn't hold my breath.

My wife has gotten her last two phones from best buy and I got my S3 from best buy. I will get my S5 from them too. I have never had any issues with them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Rick Bell likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    Best Buy generally will hike up their "retail value" prices - usually a hundred bucks over what the carriers are charging. You can sometimes get them to match the carrier pricing but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Why do they do this? What is the perceived motivation? To discourage buying full retail?

via the tablet

Is there really any point to preorder this phone from bestbuy? I have a strong feeling it will be in store the day of release I just can't make myself fork over the money for a pre order lol

Quote Originally Posted by xmostwanted559x View Post
    Do most of you guys buy the coverage? I never invested in a protection plan before

I've never bought phone insurance, either.

Global Posts
    1,407 Global Posts

I recently switched to a shared data plan on AT&T so I will have to do the Next program. Can I do that at a Best Buy or do I have to do that at AT&T?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So better to just go into a store instead of online? I was wanting to use bestbuy for getting the s5 since they offered the $50 towards an upgrade.

If you buy on upgrade then it doesn't matter

For me I got our Rezounds through BB and we got their insurance as well that time. What sold me on it was they said that if your device needs to be replaced they will give you a new versus a refurb but when it came down to it this is what happened.

Screen broke they gave us a loaner, which would be nice if your device just isn't working, but they put a hold on a credit card of $100 or $150 until the loaner is returned. Then they sent it off for evaluation of weather it was worth fixing. About a week later they gave us a new Rezound, sorry a different Rezound that was a refurbished unit. Then later it happened again, and again the loaner, a week, and a refurb. I was able to go this time and asked about the new phone deal they touted when we got the insurance and in order to get the new phone you have to have a device that has failed due to no fault of yours and at least one refurb that has failed also no fault of yours. Then if it is still available they will replace it with a new phone. The down side I guess is you have to take the phone into them and turn it over, and I think they will transfer your data if they can but at a charge. Granted we got a loaner which in our case was a Droid X, but going in to the store for everything kind of sucked when we knew they wouldn't repair the broken screen.

With Asurian you kind of have options. They will mail you a device and you only have to turn your old device over after receipt of the replacement, or you can take it in to a corp store. If you qualify for the mail in option, and the online form will tell you, they will rush you a device in a couple to a few days. Now if the device isn't working at all that could mean that for that time you are without anything for a few days. If you take your device into to a BigRed corp store to have it evaluated, and they refurb units on hand they will replace it right there. Once I didn't want to wait for a unit through the mail so they checked other stores and found one with the device I needed and I was able to drive there and get it.

After not getting new equipment for the replacements at BB I just went back to Asurian based on price. At the time I didn't think there was a deductable difference however there may have been, and I just don't remember.

As for pre-ordering at BB that was painless and they really do, at least they did for us, make sure you are walking out the door talking that day. The one thing they will do that BigRed won't is cash in all of your discounts and rebates for you on the spot. No mail-in rebates, or credits, so nothing to remember or forget as far as paperwork and getting stuff into the mail. Or waiting for that matter. They apply everything for you right there. BB will also install screen protectors, at a fee of course, but they guarantee them if they install them. I'm not saying that BigRed won't do this I'm just saying that BB will.
    Worlds2See likes this.

I purchased my Blackberry 9930 from BestBuy because at the time they were $200 cheaper than Verizon, and Big red wouldn't price match. I normally purchase my devices from a coporate store, but I'm a sucker for a good deal (savings). I always get insurance, you never know what might happen.

Global Posts
    8,801 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

The problem with not getting insurance is that you might need it and don't have it.

Or you'll probably never need it and paid all that money for it. 😕

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast