Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any way to transfer data to Galaxy S5?

Currently have an HTC One and already preordered the S5. What's the best way to transfer pics/videos and app data to the S5 when I get it? The apps I'm not too concerned about as I can simply redownload them, however I have like 500 pictures that I'd like transferred over.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Any way to transfer data to S5?

Quote Originally Posted by puremeerkat View Post
    Currently have an HTC One and already preordered the S5. What's the best way to transfer pics/videos and app data to the S5 when I get it? The apps I'm not too concerned about as I can simply redownload them, however I have like 500 pictures that I'd like transferred over.
    Maybe you can sync them to your Google Drive account and then re-sync them to your Galaxy S5. As for app data, you can try an app called Helium. I think it is the only app that backs up app data without root needed.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

You have a bevvy of options! Cloud storage, Bluetooth (SLOOOOW!), Android Beam (which in the S5 should be called S-Beam), WiFi Direct, or transfer everything to your PC and then to your new phone. The last two options should be the fastest, most straight forward.

As for apps, you can use apps like Titanium Backup to, well, backup app data but if you sync your account to your new phone, Google Play should start downloading your apps automatically (which is why I also suggest you configure your new phone while on WiFi). Game saves, etc, though, would be lost unless you use an app like Titanium.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    You have a bevvy of options! Cloud storage, Bluetooth (SLOOOOW!), Android Beam (which in the S5 should be called S-Beam), WiFi Direct, or transfer everything to your PC and then to your new phone. The last two options should be the fastest, most straight forward.

As for apps, you can use apps like Titanium Backup to, well, backup app data but if you sync your account to your new phone, Google Play should start downloading your apps automatically (which is why I also suggest you configure your new phone while on WiFi). Game saves, etc, though, would be lost unless you use an app like Titanium.
    Titanium Backup won't work since you can't root the S5 yet. Probably just have to let Google restore all your apps, which it will do once you sign in on a new device.

Posted via Android Central App

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. App data (like game saves), though, that's different. But really, in this day and age, where people go through phones like they're socks or own more than one device, if a game doesn't support cloud syncing, it's not worth my money (lazy devs! Google Play Games offers the service for crying out loud!).

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. .
    I honestly haven't looked but MyBackUp Pro backs up the installation files as far as I recall so I don't see much of a difference. However, I don't use it much anymore because when I switch phones, I like to start new rather than assume that I will use the same apps. The only ones I need (SwiftKey, Facebook, LinkedIn) are easy enough to download.

To the OP, since its been years since I haven't had an SD card to do what you are asking, I'm not 100% sure, but I've had good experience with Google Drive and OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). Plus the pics are then available on your computer. Also, you could try this...a friend said it works great. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....phototransfer Seems to be dependent on quality of your network, though.

Default Re: Any way to transfer data to Galaxy S5?

Dropbox or Google drive.

Samsung Kies

Airdroid

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Does not get any easier than my backup pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.MyBackupPro

If you use Google+, you could use auto upload. Go to Google+ App>settings>Back Up All. I love the auto upload feature. I have all my pics from all my devices in one place.
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Follow Me:

App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

Peace & Blessings.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I always advice against app backups... It's always better to let the system re-install everything again instead of carrying system files from another phone that might just mess things up underneath. App data (like game saves), though, that's different. But really, in this day and age, where people go through phones like they're socks or own more than one device, if a game doesn't support cloud syncing, it's not worth my money (lazy devs! Google Play Games offers the service for crying out loud!).
    Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't used Google backup in a while, but when you allow Google to restore you apps, doesn't it just re-install everything in you 'My Apps' section? Everything? I remember trying to restore from Google for the first time on my Nexus 7 and by the time it finished I had apps that I hand't used in years but refused to delete from my apps list to help me keep track of the apps I've bought. If this is still the case (and I am guessing it is because Google is slow to implement change), then I wouldn't recommend it. OP, You're better off re-installing everything yourself, especially now that Google has enabled batch install. It'll save you the hassle of having to uninstall all the unwanted apps.

Oh, no, you're right! What I meant was that I advice against backing up APP DATA from one device and restoring onto another (with apps such as Titanium). Using Google the apps are automatically re-installed but, as you say, starting from scratch. It's just saving you the hassle of individually installing each app, but it's still re-downloading everything and re-installing everything from zero. Using backup apps to restore app data, such as game saves, might cause (and usually does) issues and glitches.

Apparently the GS5 has an actually functional and effective app called Smart Switch that should make it very easy to transfer data. The Next Web had a very favorable overview of Smart Switch in their review of the GS5 and I think it might get the job done for you.

Surprising that Samsung has not given more attention to this app.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

Helium, an app on the app store, has a non-root app data backup and restore function. If you are not rooted, it requires that you use your computer however.

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

With all the marketing Samsung I can't believe people don't use this more. It's called Samsung Smart Switch. It works with existing Android phones and even the iPhone.

Here's the link: Samsung Smart Switch? | Samsung

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    With all the marketing Samsung I can't believe people don't use this more. It's called Samsung Smart Switch. It works with existing Android phones and even the iPhone.

Here's the link: Samsung Smart Switch? | Samsung
    I tried to do that, but it isn't compatible with the Bionic apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    This overhyped tool appears to be very restricted about what devices it will work with. It is not compatible with the Nexus 7 tablet, for example, and I would have liked to transfer data from my tablet to the new phone.

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
    I tried to do that, but it isn't compatible with the Bionic apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker4 View Post
    This overhyped tool appears to be very restricted about what devices it will work with. It is not compatible with the Nexus 7 tablet, for example, and I would have liked to transfer data from my tablet to the new phone.
    That stinks. I know some users who were successful with it coming from an iPhone. Seems like Android <-> Android would be easier, but I guess not.

I do hope in the future Google can get a handle on the backup/restore situation like Apple does.

The tool is supported for the iPhone and some newer Android phones. Samsung's compatibility list is here: Where can I get support for Samsung Smart Switch? : Cell Phones | Samsung.