Galaxy S5: Speaker loudness and quality

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there any definitive word on the loudness of the speakers and the quality? The first Russian review said the speakers were very quiet and not loud because of the ip67 certification, which makes sense because this is the same case regarding the sony z1 phones. Newer reviews on YouTube states that the phones speakers are very loud, which is opposite of the first review. Anyone had first hand experience at all with a demo unit at all?

I have the phone on reserve for the launch, as long as the speakers are as loud as the s4 or the note 3, then that should be fine. If it's really low because of the ip67 rating then that's a deal breaker and I'll have to go with the m8. Mainly because of my work environment, I need a phone with loud speakers

Last edited by a moderator:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Speaker loudness and quality

They have them available to play with at Best Buy and AT&T... U should go to ur local one and test it out

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 via Tapatalk

biggdogg9

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I played with one at best buy and the speakers were not very loud

Posted via Android Central App

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm in Canada. Unfortunately there are no demo units at the retailers here.

I played with one at the Samsung Store in Vancouver, it was fairly loud in store and the only music they had on the phone was the "Over the Horizon" song so not exactly the best song to test speaker loudness with. With that said, the S5 was quite load and could easily be heard, I dont think there should be any concerns regarding the speaker.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone tried using YouTube app to play a few videos to test out the speakers?
I did it, it seemed the same as my s4. It was very loud in the store, so a little hard to judge it. The phone gives off a vibration on full volume.

socacola

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah one of the reviewers said the same thing that the backplate rattles if the volume is set to max. Well guess we will have to see until the official release if this is for only some of the devices or all of the devices.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Yeah one of the reviewers said the same thing that the backplate rattles if the volume is set to max. Well guess we will have to see until the official release if this is for only some of the devices or all of the devices.

You really can't be expecting there to be no vibration at all? Its the nature of sound waves, there has to be some vibration. The iPad Air does it, my Xoom and S4 do the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Only if I put my finger over the speaker. S5 you feel it everywhere.

On my S4 I feel vibration all the way up to about the half way mark of the device.

As I was thinking about it, I think the vibration is more pronounced on the S5 due to the IP67 rating. If water and dust can't get in then the sound coming out is also impeded by the water resistance. I guess some of the sound waves get routed through the device instead of directly outwards and in turn cause the vibration.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I could see it bothering someone if holding it for long periods of time on max volume without a case.

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site

What about the phone vibrating along with the music? My s3 still does that and it annoys the heck out of me. I heard it had to do with a haptic feedback option that I can't access anymore. Please tell me that's not also going to be an S5 issue too!

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

What about the phone vibrating along with the music? My s3 still does that and it annoys the heck out of me. I heard it had to do with a haptic feedback option that I can't access anymore. Please tell me that's not also going to be an S5 issue too!

It's only when you play music on max volume. Not haptic vibration. The phone rocks, can't wait to get it. I only play music through the speaker when I'm not holding it so no worries there. I am going to go naked on this one, has a great feel to it.