'The Galaxy S5 has the best smartphone display ever'

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
There is an option to turn on grey scale without turning off the radios or the mobile data. Tried it out at best buy and I think it's awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

That is awesome! I think I just did the extreme mode which was probably grey scale/airplane mode I'm guessing. I bet you can make this phone last for a very long time with that grey scale and/or extreme save mode :cool:

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear real experiences support the claim. I'm really excited about this phone. I'm on Verizon with no plans to switch, but I may have to swing by AT&T (I hear they have demo units) to check it out myself.

I'm on Verizon too. They are not saying for sure when they will start selling it. Every other carrier has said April 11 th ......

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Verizon too. They are not saying for sure when they will start selling it. Every other carrier has said April 11 th ......

Hopefully they won't be far behind, if not April 11 too. I chatted with a sales rep on their website the other day and was told "sometime in April." There's also a screenshot floating around here of an email that someone got from VZW (regarding something random like government employee deals) that mentioned pre-orders begining on April 1 with the phone available on the 11th. Guess we don't have long to wait to find out if the first part of that's true.

Edit: http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...lease-dates-order-shipping-discussion-gs5.jpg

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Meh, this was said about the S4 last year. It was ok. Literally no review that i read mentioned how dim it was. Compared side by side with my One, it's not an exaggeration to say that it was half as bright at any given brightness setting. Also, autobrightness was jittery, unresponsive and generally inadequate.

Displaymate completely glossed over that. Additionally, the rest of their review was suspect, with them saying one thing but their graphs right above contradicting their statements. That was pretty well dissected on this forum last year.

Given that, I'm taking anything DisplayMate says with a huge grain of salt, despite the optimism I have for AMOLED tech in general. That tech girl on Youtube (forgot her name) did an excellent breakdown, explaining the shortcomings of AMOLED in general and in the S4 display specifically. Mainly debunking the "color accuracy" myth touted by several reviews.

Watch from 4:20, you can see the difference, but its much better in person,

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they won't be far behind, if not April 11 too. I chatted with a sales rep on their website the other day and was told "sometime in April." There's also a screenshot floating around here of an email that someone got from VZW (regarding something random like government employee deals) that mentioned pre-orders begining on April 1 with the phone available on the 11th. Guess we don't have long to wait to find out if the first part of that's true.

Edit: http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...lease-dates-order-shipping-discussion-gs5.jpg

I sure hope so. I'm getting antsy :). I put hands on the s5 and m 8 last week. Glad I did. I'm very glad that I did. However, by doing that it solidified my choice of getting the galaxy 5

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I sure hope so. I'm getting antsy :). I put hands on the s5 and m 8 last week. Glad I did. I'm very glad that I did. However, by doing that it solidified my choice of getting the galaxy 5

Did you see them at a Best Buy?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Meh, this was said about the S4 last year. It was ok. Literally no review that i read mentioned how dim it was. Compared side by side with my One, it's not an exaggeration to say that it was half as bright at any given brightness setting. Also, autobrightness was jittery, unresponsive and generally inadequate.

Displaymate completely glossed over that. Additionally, the rest of their review was suspect, with them saying one thing but their graphs right above contradicting their statements. That was pretty well dissected on this forum last year.

Given that, I'm taking anything DisplayMate says with a huge grain of salt, despite the optimism I have for AMOLED tech in general. That tech girl on Youtube (forgot her name) did an excellent breakdown, explaining the shortcomings of AMOLED in general and in the S4 display specifically. Mainly debunking the "color accuracy" myth touted by several reviews.

Eh I don't like her at All .... She B****** about the s5 "water and Dust Proof" when Samsung has advertised it as ip67 Dust and water Resistant and yet she glossed over that ....

Overall i was torn between getting he note 3 now or waiting for the s4 and decided to get the note 3 because the base model was 32GB and I don't really care for the heart beat monitor or Fingerprint scanner

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to Best Buy to play with it and the display was AMAZING! The phone is much brighter than the S4 and to me it looks clearer too

I also agree with this. Played with one at an att store, and compared to the s4 which was next to it, it was noticeably brighter and more crisp looking.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's the S4. There's quite the difference between it and the S5. When you actually see the screen, you'll more than likely change your stance.

Saw it in person, didn't think it was better than the N5. If you look at displaymate's website, they heavily favor Samsung devices. They also sell services and calibration equipment (not saying there's a connection, but it is a commercial website with a vested interested in selling products). They also never tested the N5, which Anandtech said was the best display they've ever tested.

So, I'll wait for Anandtech to test it and see what they say.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's also worth noting that you can't actually find their testing methodology other than they use a "custom" displaymate test, as well as equipment.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I found it strange that it only really compared it to other Samsung devices. Beating the S4 and Note 3 is good.... but you didn't even mention the actual best screens of last year - the HTC One M7, the Nexus 5 (most accurate evah? by many sources), the iPhone 5s or the LG G2. How is that possible? Does this actually compare to those? The S4 was a good screen and many people like the saturation levels, etc. Just being an improvement over current OLED isn't enough to be the best ever. Where is the unbaised (as in not done by a company that makes it's own proprietary tools to measure screen calibrations (as discovered by another member yesterday)) review of the metrics? I'm very interested to see what Anantech has to say compared to the actual market leaders in this category.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
HTC One has blueish whites and on what basis it's best display ?

Nexus 5 cannot display deepest blacks, not as good viewing angles as AMOLED.

It doesn't have wider color gamut.

What Anandtech measures is only what's on display.

According to displaymate, wider color gamut is necessary to compensate the lost gamut under ambient light.

LCDs exhibit poor colors under sunlight or ambient light.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Saw it in person, didn't think it was better than the N5. If you look at displaymate's website, they heavily favor Samsung devices. They also sell services and calibration equipment (not saying there's a connection, but it is a commercial website with a vested interested in selling products). They also never tested the N5, which Anandtech said was the best display they've ever tested.

So, I'll wait for Anandtech to test it and see what they say.

Big fan of the Nexus 5 (it's my daily driver), but I can't compare them yet until I get an S5 out of the store. Everyone has their preference with LCD and OLED, and I prefer LCD, but they've made some significant improvements to the S5 screen over the S4. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Big fan of the Nexus 5 (it's my daily driver), but I can't compare them yet until I get an S5 out of the store. Everyone has their preference with LCD and OLED, and I prefer LCD, but they've made some significant improvements to the S5 screen over the S4. Can't go wrong with either of them.

I agree there, they're both great. Displaymate has too limited a number of tested devices for me to take their claims seriously right now, though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree there, they're both great. Displaymate has too limited a number of tested devices for me to take their claims seriously right now, though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've had the S4, M7 and now currently the N5. To me, the N5 splits the difference between over saturation(S4) and coolness(M7) and is the best display. I saw the M8 and S5 back to back last weekend. The colors really pop on the S5 and it looks to be significantly brighter than the S4, which addresses a key complaint. I always felt like I needed the brightness on max on the S4, which obviously impacted battery life. On the N5 I keep it down around 20% and it's REALLY bright.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had the S4, M7 and now currently the N5. To me, the N5 splits the difference between over saturation(S4) and coolness(M7) and is the best display. I saw the M8 and S5 back to back last weekend. The colors really pop on the S5 and it looks to be significantly brighter than the S4, which addresses a key complaint. I always felt like I needed the brightness on max on the S4, which obviously impacted battery life. On the N5 I keep it down around 20% and it's REALLY bright.

That's because the Nexus 5 is still the best all around phone out right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArchyA