Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8)

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: SG5 vs M8

In 6 months which do you think you'd be more happy with and why?

Oh, the mind still says S5 without a doubt. For one, it will have a larger community of owners to support it. As for the actual device, I feel like Samsung packs in the bells and whistles but in the end all the things that matter most are all there and many of which implemented better than the competitors (like the camera).

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

The m8 is a disappointment to me, a former owner of the M7. The build and boom sound of the m7 wasn't enough for me to keep it. The camera pixel count was just too low. Great pictures on the phone didn't look so good on my computer screen. That's was a turn off. Also, if you need good sound from you phone there are a lot of small and cheap Bluetooth speakers. That's makes more sense. Metal isn't everything. My m7 was kept in a plastic otter box case.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Have played with both phones. The samsung rep just brought in an s5 and fitband so I got up close and personal as well as removing the water proof back with seal around battery door. The s5 feels nice in hand I have the note 2. The metal feel of the m8 is spectacular and the phone feels very fast as well.. I shot some video in 4k on the s5 and though I was impressed I slowed it down to 1/8th mode and it looked horrible. Obviously compliments of the poor FPS or just sensor size. Camera was nice in perfect conditions but compared to our nokia icon it stands no chance. S5 was just tested and says to have the best screen ever tested and I could see it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/the-best-smartphone-display-its-not-who-you-think-2/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Don't forget that HTC Sense 6 is also a great advantage for the M8, the TW update is not enough.
If the S5 had Sense 6 then it would have been the best phone hands down.
The Z2 is a VERY promising phone,it just need more XDA devs and more camera mods to really get full potential of the 21MP

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Don't forget that HTC Sense 6 is also a great advantage for the M8, the TW update is not enough.
If the S5 had Sense 6 then it would have been the best phone hands down.
The Z2 is a VERY promising phone,it just need more XDA devs and more camera mods to really get full potential of the 21MP

People who say that Sense 6 is a great advantage over Touchwiz on the S5 haven't played with the S5.

Posted via Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I played around with both this morning at BB. I am curios as to why anyone would chose the M8 over the S5? I honestly dont see how HTC did much to challenge Samsung outside of reported battery life.

Because it is "metal" seriously, that is what everyone seems to try and push is the build quality. Other than that the one has nothing that makes it even worth a look compared to the s5. As much as the s5 was only an "incremental" update over the s4, the one was an even smaller update over the m7.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

S5 with Nova Launcher and 64gb SD card all the way. Camera, removable battery, grey scale screen when needed. I use a case so I really don't mind the plastic and this will be my 3rd Samsung.

I could live without a removable battery but that kind of camera is just not what I want for that kind of money. Almost going back to the days of the flip phone camera? It does have 32 gb and takes up to 128 gb sd, but that camera and a non removable battery to boot.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I held the m8 today and seemed too bulky compared to the s5. S5 seemed to feel better in hand. I think the old HTC one was better in hand vs the new m8

I felt the same way. The M8 feels so large for a 5" device. I wish HTC would have kept the 4.7" and just bumped the battery, camera, and made on screen keys, rather than going to 5" with the huge black bar at the bottom of the screen. And everyone complained about the bezels on the s5.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

The m8's camera pretty much elimated itself from my list. The ultrapixel camera is a good theory but in use, not for me. Zoom in a little and you quickly see lose of quality. Where as my RAZR 8mp has a bit more. Not a big deal but zooming in is important considering most phones have a fixed lens and only digital zoom

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Or they could have made a proportionate screen to fit that humongoloid body.....
It just looks weird, all that black under the screen.....looks like the half screen / half bezel special edition. New slogan, "For The Bezel Enthusiasts".

I felt the same way. The M8 feels so large for a 5" device. I wish HTC would have kept the 4.7" and just bumped the battery, camera, and made on screen keys, rather than going to 5" with the huge black bar at the bottom of the screen. And everyone complained about the bezels on the s5.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Or they could have made a proportionate screen to fit that humongoloid body.....
It just looks weird, all that black under the screen.....looks like the half screen / half bezel special edition. New slogan, "For The Bezel Enthusiasts".

Honestly it reminds me of the iPhone 5/5s where it looks long and skinny in every picture I see of it and when used for the short time. But I agree 100% with your comments as well.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

What's even more funny that all the people who are saying it's the bezel didn't understand it's part of the screen and this part is hidden by a black navigation bar,you can change its color thanks to themes or apply a transparent mode,after that the ''bezel'' is reduced by 60%
Another thing I don't like in S5 is that it's using again a samoled,while it's very nice for living colors it has the recurrent burning-in problem,so you can't use a Car app with onscreen for 1 hour...
As for the dude who said I didn't try the new TW, well I had an S4 for 2 months and found its TW completely obsolete compared to the logical and intelligent UI of Sense 5 (that's not talking about the lags of TW) , videos and reviews of the new TW are enough for us to see that only some icons and graphics have been ironed out but the main obsolete structure is still the same,remembers us of ios 6 and 7

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

What's even more funny that all the people who are saying it's the bezel didn't understand it's part of the screen and this part is hidden by a black navigation bar,you can change its color thanks to themes or apply a transparent mode,after that the ''bezel'' is reduced by 60%
Another thing I don't like in S5 is that it's using again a samoled,while it's very nice for living colors it has the recurrent burning-in problem,so you can't use a Car app with onscreen for 1 hour...
As for the dude who said I didn't try the new TW, well I had an S4 for 2 months and found its TW completely obsolete compared to the logical and intelligent UI of Sense 5 (that's not talking about the lags of TW) , videos and reviews of the new TW are enough for us to see that only some icons and graphics have been ironed out but the main obsolete structure is still the same,remembers us of ios 6 and 7

What car app are you taking about? Like a navigation app? I have never had any burn in problems with my screens. I prefer Amoled to LCD because I love the crisp vibrancy of the screen.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

I happen to be a Sense fan and a bit of an HTC fanboy, but I agree that a higher MP shooter on the back would have helped with the popularity of the device. At the same time I like being able to take low light or less than perfect condition pics on the One. If they were going to put 2 cameras back there they could have made one a higher MP and the other a lower MP, IMO. I do like the forward facing speakers, even if I only use them occasionally. When I do I'm glad to have them over the rear facing speakers on all of the other devices I've had. Could they have done things differently, well yes, but there will always be diversity among users for which device is better and that will be, just as been I've seen stated in this thread many times, what works better for each user and there taste. One last thing, I do miss the removable battery. Now that they've brought the SD card back I'm hoping that they will bring that back or start sizing up there batteries.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I happen to be a Sense fan and a bit of an HTC fanboy, but I agree that a higher MP shooter on the back would have helped with the popularity of the device. At the same time I like being able to take low light or less than perfect condition pics on the One. If they were going to put 2 cameras back there they could have made one a higher MP and the other a lower MP, IMO. I do like the forward facing speakers, even if I only use them occasionally. When I do I'm glad to have them over the rear facing speakers on all of the other devices I've had. Could they have done things differently, well yes, but there will always be diversity among users for which device is better and that will be, just as been I've seen stated in this thread many times, what works better for each user and there taste. One last thing, I do miss the removable battery. Now that they've brought the SD card back I'm hoping that they will bring that back or start sizing up there batteries.

The iPhone 5 or 5s' camera is by no means the answer to photography but I prefer it's quality to that of many other phones and I have a sneaking suspicion others out there may agree with me. I wonder why HTC couldn't deploy a sensor that meets or exceeds it. I believe it'd get less criticism.

Sent from my ME312LL/A 🔘

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Because the one complaint of the original One (the camera) has been improved a bit, the design is FAR superior, build materials are better (particularly the stainless steel gray model), the battery life is outstanding, the speakers are the best of any smartphone, and it has a 5MP front-facing camera. Samsung has gotten so stale and boring, just like Apple. They have no fight left because they're the top Android OEM.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Because the one complaint of the original One (the camera) has been improved a bit, the design is FAR superior, build materials are better (particularly the stainless steel gray model), the battery life is outstanding, the speakers are the best of any smartphone, and it has a 5MP front-facing camera. Samsung has gotten so stale and boring, just like Apple. They have no fight left because they're the top Android OEM.

The S5 is better than the M8. The Nexus 5 is better than both of them.