Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8)

I played around with both this morning at BB. I am curios as to why anyone would chose the M8 over the S5? I honestly dont see how HTC did much to challenge Samsung outside of reported battery life.

Global Posts
    1,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.1 Lollipop

Default Re: SG5 vs M8

It seems the most hype about the M8 is the appearance and that it's made out of metal... not plastic.
    Current Device: Nexus 6 & Nexus Player

Current Carrier: Sprint

Thanked by:
    Premium1 and rob damiani like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    It seems the most hype about the M8 is the appearance and that it's made out of metal... not plastic.
    Exactly, I don't understand why even that got so much hype. I meant it's metal, it'll scratch, dent, scrape. Just ew.
    Premium1 likes this.

It's nice to look at and hold if you don't put a case on it and BoomSound is nice if speakers on a phone are your kind of thing.
    Thanked by:
    Amir 
    sb1776 likes this.

The market is quite diverse, I hope there is enough space for both Sammy and HTC, I want more competitions.

To Topic, M8's strength is metal construction, boom sound. There is market for that.
    GN3, LP, TMO, BLK, 96G, 3200/9660mAh/ZTE OPEN C w FFOS 2.2
    Use Firefox Mobile for Android for enhanced security, speed, privacy, and battery.
    Thanked by:

The camera was the dealbreaker for me.

I love everything about the M8 except that 4MP camera. I've seen enough side-by-side comparisons with the S5's 16MP camera to tell me that the M8 just doesn't have enough pixels to compete and the S5 actually has a lot more built-in camera editing features, minus the focused-depth effect on the M8, which is overrated.

S5 all the way. HTC shoulda put an 8MP camera in that phone. I would have bought it then. 4MP is pathetic. AND the M8 has no Image Stabilization? Seriously?
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
    I played around with both this morning at BB. I am curios as to why anyone would chose the M8 over the S5? I honestly dont see how HTC did much to challenge Samsung outside of reported battery life.
    I thought it was a nice phone. But sense still looks like it's on every inch of the os and doesn't add anything to the experience (my opinion). I do like the build of the phone though. In the end the sg5 met my needs better. I agree with @clevin. I hope they can coexist so that innovation continues.
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy S6 Edge
    japetty likes this.

S5 with Nova Launcher and 64gb SD card all the way. Camera, removable battery, grey scale screen when needed. I use a case so I really don't mind the plastic and this will be my 3rd Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    5,315 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    It's nice to look at and hold if you don't put a case on it and BoomSound is nice if speakers on a phone are your kind of thing.
    I agree with the speakers - they are awesome. Too bad Sammy didn't do this with the S5.
    Thanked by:

Boomsound is sweet but I listen through headphones and almost never through the speakers. So again S5 for me.

rob damiani likes this.

Eh. I don't use the speaker enough to justify the gigantic bezel.
    Premium1 likes this.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

I handled both and while the M8 did feel nice I could not get over the wasted space with the black logo bar. I know that sounds petty but if you are going to have that bar there then put hard buttons there as to not take up screen space. yeah the buttons may go away in video but when you are doing things like texting or internet it is there. that's a big deal IMO. The screen essentially is not that big due to that. Also I did not like how tall and skinny it was.

I chose the S5 for my next phone and I am coming from a decent amount of time with HTC phones: Mogal -> TouchPro -> Evo 3D. I love the build quality and aesthetics of their phones but ultimately I chose function over form. Not to say the S5 is ugly by any means. It looks and feels MUCH better in person. I put cases on my phones so the metal build will mean nothing to me 99% of the time.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
    I also put hands on both. Glad I did! Galaxy 5 all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeypride View Post
    Exactly, I don't understand why even that got so much hype. I meant it's metal, it'll scratch, dent, scrape. Just ew.
    The m 8 is very nice externally. With that said, and all the complaints about the 5 being plastic, it was not bad! It didn't feel cheap or plasticy at all. Seemed like a solid device to me!

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I held the m8 today and seemed too bulky compared to the s5. S5 seemed to feel better in hand. I think the old HTC one was better in hand vs the new m8

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I agree with the speakers - they are awesome. Too bad Sammy didn't do this with the S5.
    It's definitely a shame because Samsung has front-facing speakers on their tablets, including the Nexus 10.

And the M8 has the 3.5mm audio jack at the botrom, next to the charger??? Wont work at the gym
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I like the build materials of the M8 a lot but I think the S5, even with its Band-Aid texture and plasticy plastic has more to offer.

Sent from my ME312LL/A 🔘

I find the M8 appealing because of the looks, speakers, external SD slot and the opportunity to own a top phone that won't be in everyone else's hands. My heart says M8 but my brain says S5, lol.
    Thanked by:
    StylinProfilin and msque2u like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by vamp464 View Post
    I find the M8 appealing because of the looks, speakers, external SD slot and the opportunity to own a top phone that won't be in everyone else's hands. My heart says M8 but my brain says S5, lol.
    In 6 months which do you think you'd be more happy with and why?

Sent from my MF003LL/A 🔘
    msque2u likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    In 6 months which do you think you'd be more happy with and why?
    Oh, the mind still says S5 without a doubt. For one, it will have a larger community of owners to support it. As for the actual device, I feel like Samsung packs in the bells and whistles but in the end all the things that matter most are all there and many of which implemented better than the competitors (like the camera).

The m8 is a disappointment to me, a former owner of the M7. The build and boom sound of the m7 wasn't enough for me to keep it. The camera pixel count was just too low. Great pictures on the phone didn't look so good on my computer screen. That's was a turn off. Also, if you need good sound from you phone there are a lot of small and cheap Bluetooth speakers. That's makes more sense. Metal isn't everything. My m7 was kept in a plastic otter box case.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using tapatalk.

Have played with both phones. The samsung rep just brought in an s5 and fitband so I got up close and personal as well as removing the water proof back with seal around battery door. The s5 feels nice in hand I have the note 2. The metal feel of the m8 is spectacular and the phone feels very fast as well.. I shot some video in 4k on the s5 and though I was impressed I slowed it down to 1/8th mode and it looked horrible. Obviously compliments of the poor FPS or just sensor size. Camera was nice in perfect conditions but compared to our nokia icon it stands no chance. S5 was just tested and says to have the best screen ever tested and I could see it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/04/th...o-you-think-2/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Don't forget that HTC Sense 6 is also a great advantage for the M8, the TW update is not enough.
    If the S5 had Sense 6 then it would have been the best phone hands down.
    The Z2 is a VERY promising phone,it just need more XDA devs and more camera mods to really get full potential of the 21MP

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Jeff View Post
    Don't forget that HTC Sense 6 is also a great advantage for the M8, the TW update is not enough.
    If the S5 had Sense 6 then it would have been the best phone hands down.
    The Z2 is a VERY promising phone,it just need more XDA devs and more camera mods to really get full potential of the 21MP
    People who say that Sense 6 is a great advantage over Touchwiz on the S5 haven't played with the S5.

Jdroids likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast