Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Radios in Galaxy S5

HI, Is there anyway to find out if the same radios are still used in Samsung phones since the GS3? I had a GS2 and GS3 but switched to the Moto X because I couldn't get a good enough signal at work to use my phone. I can use the Moto X there and other places that I couldn't use the GS3. But I miss the camera quality of the GS3.

Default Re: Radios in GS5

I'm not certain but you would think the radio hardware/chip has been upgraded since the S3.

It won't be the exact same for sure. My s3 radio was so so, but my Note 2 radio was top notch ,even better than my Motorola Droid razr maxx.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Note 3 was bad for ATT. I believe Samsung has a better LTE radio for the S5. I just can't remember where I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It won't be the exact same for sure. My s3 radio was so so, but my Note 2 radio was top notch ,even better than my Motorola Droid razr maxx.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I don't think all the Samsung radios are created equal in all phones as my S3 and S4 have been as good as the MAXX which I had prior. When I was over to my son's house last XMAS my S4 had better 4G/lte signal than his MAXX which is my old MAXX. His wife was an iphone user as she likes something easier to deal with than android. (Not my description but hers) She did say VZW 4G/lte was very iffy in the area where they live. I was in an RV park and my wife and I tethered via wifi our computers and both had good speed, much better than the RV parks crappy wifi. I do hear many people complaining about the S4 signal and also the N3 signal. I don't remember a time with my 2 - S3's I had a real issue with signal. I do live and travel to mountainous areas which I do have a dropped call now and then but even my wife with her MOTO flip phone has that around here and when we travel.

It won't be the same radio for sure. The modem chipset is different and very likely antenna design is different. So it will be better radio than S3, but by how much is anyone's guess right now.

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

I used an S5 today at an AT&T store today. It was right next to an S4. S5 had 81 for its signal and the S4 was at 87.