Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fillyo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Planning on getting a Galaxy S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

Right out the gate, let me say this - Samsung is only launching the 16gb variant initially here.
    Being antsy about the phone's release, i'm probably going to get it on launch day.

I've been hearing a lot of problems with SD Card usage though. My questions are as follows:
    a. To what extent will I be able to use the 64GB SD Card I plan to buy? I plan to save photos/videos directly to the card, as well as install apps on it.
    b. I have a choice between buying Sandisk and Samsung branded class 10 cards... is one better than the other?
    c. I don't plan on rooting my device. I know there's a sdfix out there to smoothen things out, but not for me. Don't ask why - i'm just not into rooting. I own a stock HTC One and am very happy with it (32gb, no expandable memory).

Since the S5 comes preloaded with KitKat, using a lower version to curb SD Card problems isn't an option for me.
    Looking forward to your guys' feedback.

Thank you!

(P.S. - yes i'm new here, and this is my first post! yay me )

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts

Default Re: Planning on getting a S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

Even with the latest version of Android, you can save photos, music and movies to the SD card.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Planning on getting a S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

Quote Originally Posted by KiranB2 View Post
    I plan to save photos/videos directly to the card,
    Fine...

as well as install apps on it.
    Not as fine.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erinpac View Post
    Fine...

Not as fine.
    From what I have been reading is that app developers need to update their app to use the restricted folder they are allowed to use on the SD card. So google now restricts apps from able to read and write all over the place on the SD card. This way it is more secure. So if the app you use is up to date to utilize the SD card on KitKat you should have little to no prob.

My example is that I was afraid BeyondPod would not allow me to save podcasts to the SD card any more. The developers have updated the app to have the restricted folder able to store downloaded podcasts. This frees up around 5GB on the on-board storage for me. The thing I do not know is if games are still able to have the majority of their data stored on the SD card. I am not a big gamer on the phone (my tablet and Nvidia Shield are for that) so I will not need that much storage for apps. I know others will have an issue.

In summary, from what I read, developers can update their app to have data stored on the SD. Kitkat is still a small piece of the pie in regards to android OS adoption pie chart but it is growing and I'm sure app developers are updating more and more.

Finally, Please let me know if I have anything wrong or off. This is an interesting topic to read into and a little laborsome to understand at times.

I agree. That's a great explanation. Some apps allow to moved to the SD card after I got kit Kat and some do not. But all your music and videos and pictures are no problem. I always say back though. I use Dropbox. I use Neutron as my music player(if you are an audiophile) and Nova launcher as my home screen replacement. Welcome to Android Central.

Global Posts
    5,202 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Right out the gate, let me say this - Samsung is only launching the 16gb variant initially here.
    Being antsy about the phone's release, i'm probably going to get it on launch day.

I've been hearing a lot of problems with SD Card usage though. My questions are as follows:
    a. To what extent will I be able to use the 64GB SD Card I plan to buy? I plan to save photos/videos directly to the card, as well as install apps on it.
    b. I have a choice between buying Sandisk and Samsung branded class 10 cards... is one better than the other?
    c. I don't plan on rooting my device. I know there's a sdfix out there to smoothen things out, but not for me. Don't ask why - i'm just not into rooting. I own a stock HTC One and am very happy with it (32gb, no expandable memory).

Since the S5 comes preloaded with KitKat, using a lower version to curb SD Card problems isn't an option for me.

Thank you!

Honestly if you are planning on a 64GB microSD I would suggest the Samsung card I have one and its worked without issue, I cannot say the same for SanDisk cards as my experience with them has been spotty at best when used in their included microSD card reader and then put back into a phone, never seems to work just right.

Since it does support the 128GB and SanDisk is the only game in town well, that is the only choice. I would also say Class 10 its worth the extra read/write performance.

With Kit Kat you cannot install apps on the cards anymore unless you root and use the patch that allows it, but that is a decision you would have to make.

Global Posts
    5,202 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    From what I have been reading is that app developers need to update their app to use the restricted folder they are allowed to use on the SD card. So google now restricts apps from able to read and write all over the place on the SD card. This way it is more secure. So if the app you use is up to date to utilize the SD card on KitKat you should have little to no prob.

My example is that I was afraid BeyondPod would not allow me to save podcasts to the SD card any more. The developers have updated the app to have the restricted folder able to store downloaded podcasts. This frees up around 5GB on the on-board storage for me. The thing I do not know is if games are still able to have the majority of their data stored on the SD card. I am not a big gamer on the phone (my tablet and Nvidia Shield are for that) so I will not need that much storage for apps. I know others will have an issue.

In summary, from what I read, developers can update their app to have data stored on the SD. Kitkat is still a small piece of the pie in regards to android OS adoption pie chart but it is growing and I'm sure app developers are updating more and more.

Finally, Please let me know if I have anything wrong or off. This is an interesting topic to read into and a little laborsome to understand at times.
    The issue is the apps we really need these fixes for won't get done, those would be the 1-3GB games that suck up space, if only the developers would do what needs to be done.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts

I have a class 10 sandisk 32gb extreme. I have transferred it from my S3 to S4 , and have taken out many times, never an issue. I actually have 4 32gb SD cards in my various household devices, not one issue with any of them, Sandisk SD cards are the only ones I would buy.
    Phil
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Verizon Unlimited Data

You can install apps. But the developer has to update the app to be able to write to a new folder. Most of the apps I have are updated and able to be moved to the SD card now.

Thanked by:
    atg284 

I've always had better luck with SanDisk over Sammy but YMMV. I haven't checked in an eon...are widgets still gimped on SD card installations? I haven't come close to filling my phones since the original Evo (and even that took some doing). Now, with Google Music, I don't use much of my SD card either.

I have a specific question about SD cards and Google Play Music.

When I "thumbs up" a song in Google Play Music, it generally downloads the song to my phone. Will the S5, or other Android device with SD Card, be able to just push those to the SD card?

I still use a GNEX, so this SD card thing is moot to me currently, but when I do upgrade to a phone, I'm a bit worried about this.

I'm sure the answer people are going to want to say, is just put the music I want on my SD Card. But this sort of negates the purpose of Google Play Music - which is that it is such a seamless all in one music answer that I don't have to worry about physically putting music on my phone - Google Play Music does that for me with the music that I really love.

I'm not sure about just the thumbs up but in Google play music you now can "pin" the song in the queue to the SD card and it works perfectly. Set it up in the Google music settings.

Thank you!

S4 i9505 user here. Having no trouble regarding the Memory Card(SanDisk Ultra 32gb Class 10). Approx 10gb+ of music and photos.
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505), Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Tablet:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (T700) - Sandisk Ultra 32GB

Unhappy Re: Planning on getting a Galaxy S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

I got the S5, love the phone but just had my new (less than a year old) 8gb ScanDisk unreadale. I got the message "SD card blank or unsupported files..." I am devastated as all of my newborn's photos were on there. I lost it all. I just bought a Samsung 32gb on Amazon. I was hoping that auto backup would have saved my ****, but it only saved those photos that weren't on the sd card (screenshots, bt, etc). Absolutely devastated.

Default Re: Planning on getting a Galaxy S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

sorry to hear of your loss, but from having been burned long long ago on such things, I do NOT take chances with something so valuable.

There is an old admonishment in the computer world; "Back it up,Back it up,Back it up" in several different places.

Never depend on one sole storage device to preserve your precious memories.
    Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
    Box Stock, not rooted
    Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
    MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Default Re: Planning on getting a Galaxy S5 - should I be concerned about SD Card problems?

I have a 32gb Samsung card in mine, carried over from my S3 of nearly 2 years use - no problems whatsoever. On the S3 I came across several problems with SanDisk cards, though my wife's Note 2 and brother in laws S4 both have SanDisk cards with zero issues. I just prefer not to take the chance with SanDisk cards in Sammy phones personally these days.

Rev.

I haven't put much music on my phone yet. The only songs on there have been BT from my GN/2014 and they went to the internal storage. I was able to move them to the SD card. So I tried the Google Play Store option of trying to put previously purchased music on my new S5, directly to the SD card. Well, it worked, but I can't tell you how it worked I did a thumbs up on a track. Never saw any kind of download notice. I also added the song to the queue. Again, no notice or asking if I wanted to download the song, so, I thought it was a bust. Then later I opened my notifications to see "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" had been downloaded...and it went straight to the SD card

Quote Originally Posted by itzamyme View Post
    I got the S5, love the phone but just had my new (less than a year old) 8gb ScanDisk unreadale. I got the message "SD card blank or unsupported files..." I am devastated as all of my newborn's photos were on there. I lost it all. I just bought a Samsung 32gb on Amazon. I was hoping that auto backup would have saved my ****, but it only saved those photos that weren't on the sd card (screenshots, bt, etc). Absolutely devastated.
    That's TERRIBLE! Hopefully there are more that family took or the ones you sent to friends and family.

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Quote Originally Posted by itzamyme View Post
    I'm so sorry about your loss. I use Box for cloud storage...others use Dropbox. Although this doesn't help you now, perhaps it will in the future. Here is the link for it if you're interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.box.android
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

There is no SD card problem AT ALL FOR ME and I haven't seen one I'm able to do and store anything I want

Posted via At&t SAMSUNG GALAXY S5