Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Recent Apps replacing Menu

    I realized that on the left side of the home button the function will be "recent apps" and it will replace the menu function. I'm not sure if I'm ok with this. I find myself using the menu function a lot. How would you bring up the options within an app without a menu function? How do you guys feel about this?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    I realized that on the left side of the home button the function will be "recent apps" and it will replace the menu function. I'm not sure if I'm ok with this. I find myself using the menu function a lot. How would you bring up the options within an app without a menu function? How do you guys feel about this?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I'm with you, I don't exactly understand the ubiquitous move away from it either. My 2 year old Razr Maxx has, in addition to the home and back buttons, a menu button and a search button. I use the menu and search buttons frequently (especially the latter). Why remove functionality? It's not like these large phones (like the S5) have no room for one or two extra capacitive buttons.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    I think i saw in videos that if you hold down recent apps, it functions as menu.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Menu "should" be build into apps if the dev is following android guidelines. That's how it is done. Menu buttons are a waste of space otherwise.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cdmta View Post
    Menu "should" be build into apps if the dev is following android guidelines. That's how it is done. Menu buttons are a waste of space otherwise.
    Agree. I'm glad they made the switch.
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by cdmta View Post
    Menu "should" be build into apps if the dev is following android guidelines. That's how it is done. Menu buttons are a waste of space otherwise.
    Yes, but then take a simple android app such as the stock internet browser. How would you bring up options such as desktop view, settings etc. etc. without the menu button. That's one of the reasons I like android over Apple is the capability of always knowing how to get in quickly into the app settings, instead of searching for each app's settings and where that particular developer decided to hide it.
    I hope that at least holding it brings up the menu as was mentioned.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    Yes, but then take a simple android app such as the stock internet browser. How would you bring up options such as desktop view, settings etc. etc. without the menu button. That's one of the reasons I like android over Apple is the capability of always knowing how to get in quickly into the app settings, instead of searching for each app's settings and where that particular developer decided to hide it.
    I hope that at least holding it brings up the menu as was mentioned.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I believe there is an app that can change what the button does

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    I took a look at the manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...D06_140312.pdf). Holding the recent apps button will "access additional options for the current screen." Sounds like a menu button to me. I still think I'm going to miss the dedicated search button, at least at first.
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Recent Apps replacing Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    I took a look at the manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...D06_140312.pdf). Holding the recent apps button will "access additional options for the current screen." Sounds like a menu button to me. I still think I'm going to miss the dedicated search button, at least at first.
    Agreed, I have the Note 1 and the search button is quite a handy tool, I'm disappointed they didn't continue it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM
  2. ●help● adds pop up on homepage and in all apps
    By Seb Wood in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM
  3. [APP][PAID<1$][4.1+]Auto WiFi 3G
    By kapex in forum Android App Inventor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
  4. Beta Testers Invited to Test mCollect App
    By maheshnayak19 in forum Developer Beta Testing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 07:15 AM
  5. [APP] Quit smoking - DRAGON SLAYER!
    By Julia Belikova in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions