Verizon Won't Allow Preorder of Galaxy S5 Without Upgrading

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
so ok, anyone else here planning to buy full price off contract with Verizon?

I just went and set myself up online so I could get the pre-order, which is apparently going to happen at 12:00am on 4/4, so I wanted to give it a shot. It's not letting me buy ANY off contract phone without adjusting my plan, which is utter BS.

My plan is an unlimited data plan, hence why I'm buying full retail. Even after I click "NO CONTRACT" and choose a $600 phone, it asks me which line I want to upgrade. WTF is wrong with this system? Why is it trying to get me to upgrade when i'm clearly NOT using an upgrade?

It won't let me add anything full price to my cart without adding a plan, which is BS.

Anyone else have this issue, or know of a way to get around it??

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I just went and set myself up online so I could get the pre-order, which is apparently going to happen at 12:00am on 4/4, so I wanted to give it a shot. It's not letting me buy ANY off contract phone without adjusting my plan, which is utter BS.

My plan is an unlimited data plan, hence why I'm buying full retail. Even after I click "NO CONTRACT" and choose a $600 phone, it asks me which line I want to upgrade. WTF is wrong with this system? Why is it trying to get me to upgrade when i'm clearly NOT using an upgrade?

It won't let me add anything full price to my cart without adding a plan, which is BS.

Verizon is prob trying to trick u into upgrading, to kick u off unlimited

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
ahh, mods can delete this.

witht he help of chat tonight, they were able to do something that allowed me to go through with it. didn't even touch my plan!!

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Sprint does kind of the same thing with the SERO plan I am on. When browsing for phones the website says the phone is not eligible for your plan. I have to call a special number to stay on SERO and upgrade.

Viva La SERO!

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

They made me upgrade a phone but they did not make me change my plan a few months back when I got my S4. I was a little hesitant at first but I went to a store and talked with CSR and that was what they told me. I tried it and it worked. I have not tried it with the S5 as they only have the 16 gb on pre order. I will wait for the S5 32 gb as I did on the S4. 16gb phone is just worthless to me.

They did a similar thing with me a few months back when I ordered S4 32 gb but I visited with CSR and he told me that was the way it was done. I would have to upgrade a line but they would not make me change my plan. I went back home and tried it and what he told me was true. They did not make me change my plan and I still have my unlimited. Like I said that was a few month back and they may be trying to take away more of the unlimited plans. I did hear a guy selling an M8 on swappa.com because when he tried to change his phone to the M8 on VZW.com they were going to make him change his plan and he would have to pick one of the limited data plans, We just may be to the end of the road with VZW on unlimited plans and won't be able to upgrade our phones no matter what but I would not think so as long as we are willing to pay full price for our phones. Call and talk with a CSR or stop by a corporate store and ask a CSR and then stop by a Verizon Premium Retailer and talk with them. You could also talk with BB and see what they say.

If I wanted this phone I would try it but I don't want a 16 gb phone I am waiting for the S5 32gb phone or the Note 4 32gb phone which ever comes first.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
They did a similar thing with me a few months back when I ordered S4 32 gb but I visited with CSR and he told me that was the way it was done. I would have to upgrade a line but they would not make me change my plan. I went back home and tried it and what he told me was true. They did not make me change my plan and I still have my unlimited. Like I said that was a few month back and they may be trying to take away more of the unlimited plans. I did hear a guy selling an M8 on swappa.com because when he tried to change his phone to the M8 on VZW.com they were going to make him change his plan and he would have to pick one of the limited data plans, We just may be to the end of the road with VZW on unlimited plans and won't be able to upgrade our phones no matter what but I would not think so as long as we are willing to pay full price for our phones. Call and talk with a CSR or stop by a corporate store and ask a CSR and then stop by a Verizon Premium Retailer and talk with them. You could also talk with BB and see what they say.

If I wanted this phone I would try it but I don't want a 16 gb phone I am waiting for the S5 32gb phone or the Note 4 32gb phone which ever comes first.

That's just a rep blowing smoke. There is no way if you are under a contract you signed and you pay full retail Verizon can do that. I buy phones full retail all the time and never had any issues. Verizon is just trying to get those foolish and gullible enough to believe it, to fall for it.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
well no dude he's right in that upgrade thing. it's a word that doesn't mean what the original definition is. when you buy a phone online, you can choose off contract full price, but it asks if this is an upgrade or new line... you choose upgrade and it brings you to the final page which shows your original plan etc. it's not an upgrade by our definition at all, but verizon just wants to know that you're buying a phone off contract for that number. I had to do this the other night with the s5 and all my stuff stayed the same.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza