Did Samsung Improve the Galaxy S5 Radio?

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My S4 doesn't get reception at my work desk, but my coworkers on the same carrier using Motorola can send and receive calls where I can't. I know Samsung beefed up the processor, but did they focus on what really counts, like good reception? Can anyone confirm a better radio in the S5?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Did Samsung Improve the S5 Radio?

That is exactly why I stopped buying Samsung phones! All 3 that I've owned had bad reception. Motorola and HTC do a much better job!

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I looked at S5, M8, Moto X yesterday at at&t store. Interestingly S5 had the strongest signal out of three, better than other two by about 6~7dbm.
I think they are getting better on radio recently. I personally didn't have much reception issue with Samsung except for Galaxy Nexus. Only that one was noticeably bad.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I looked at S5, M8, Moto X yesterday at at&t store. Interestingly S5 had the strongest signal out of three, better than other two by about 6~7dbm.
I think they are getting better on radio recently. I personally didn't have much reception issue with Samsung except for Galaxy Nexus. Only that one was noticeably bad.

Galaxy Nexus was bad for me as well, I returned it and pay re-stocking $35 and then later on I tried the MOTO MAXX kept it for a few months and got the S3 32 gb and was real happy with it. I now have an S4 32 gb. I have not had issue with signal on the S3 or the S4. The battery life on the Galaxy Nexus was also an issue I had with it. S3 and S4 battery life has be sufficient. I hope to see the S5 32gb on VZW soon as I think I will go for it. I just wish Samsung didn't like to put all their gimmicks on their phones though.

Star-Lord

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I want to go for the S5 after changing my mind about the M8. Signal strength will be my biggest concern which is why I've avoided Galaxy phones before.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

My s3 has bad reception. Switched to moto x and it's much better. Tried to go back to s3 but can't get a reliable signal at work. I'm not sure I could buy a s5. I do miss the camera and SD card slot though.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

My s3 has bad reception. Switched to moto x and it's much better. Tried to go back to s3 but can't get a reliable signal at work. I'm not sure I could buy a s5. I do miss the camera and SD card slot though.

Same problem with my s3.

strtgng

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

This is what I am waiting to hear about before replacing my S3 at full price on Verizon to keep my unlimited plan. I'm sick of reading reviews which rave about cameras, fingerprint scanners, heart beat monitors, split screens, etc etc. None of this matters if the radio sucks and I have no signal. My wife's iPhone and my coworker's Maxx kill the S3 in radio reception. If I can't get a signal, none of the rest matters.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I had horrible reception with my S3, ended up getting rid of it. I still got the S4 because I couldn't help myself and that phone had AWESOME reception. I hope the S5 is the same as the S4!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Where do you guys live having reception problems with the S3? I have the S3 and haven't had any reception problems and I'm with Sprint! I live in NYC though....:cool:

danielsjt

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

The S5 I played with at AT&T also had markedly better signal than an S4 nearby. Obviously "bars" is arbitrary, but since most phones are converging on certain SOCs with the same built-in cellular modems, I'd think it'll boil down to antenna placement and phone materials, with larger antenna and plastic enclosures yielding the best signal strength.

Should be fine on the S5, but we'll see.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Where do you guys live having reception problems with the S3? I have the S3 and haven't had any reception problems and I'm with Sprint! I live in NYC though....:cool:

I think the consensus is, it depends on the phone. Some are good, some are bad. Doesn't matter where you live.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I think the consensus is, it depends on the phone. Some are good, some are bad. Doesn't matter where you live.

I would say you are right. I live in the country in Texas. I had awful service, but my mom has an s3 and her reception is just fine in the same area.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Never had a problem with reception with my Galaxy phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

The S5 I played with at AT&T also had markedly better signal than an S4 nearby. Obviously "bars" is arbitrary, but since most phones are converging on certain SOCs with the same built-in cellular modems, I'd think it'll boil down to antenna placement and phone materials, with larger antenna and plastic enclosures yielding the best signal strength.

Should be fine on the S5, but we'll see.

^^^^^
Yes, they DO have the SAME radios.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app