Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cobravision
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Default Galaxy S5: Need some input

Hi everyone...i need some advice. I'm torn between the HTC One M8 and the S5. I've been with Samsung since the Epic 4G. I have had HTC phones and have really enjoyed them. Which one would you pick? I get that I'm in the S5 forum but I'm hoping that someone may own both and can give me input about both features and how the camera works out. In the past I wouldn't have purchased HTC because they got rid of the micro sd. I don't mind so much about the removable battery but no micro sd is a deal breaker for me. Now the M8 has a micro sd card slot. I also love the front facing speakers on the M8. I don't mind either about water or dust proof phones as you can buy cases like that now anyways. Sooo any input would be great. I thought I was sold on the S5 but when I saw the M8 had an sd slot, I've been going back and forth. I also don't care about sense or touchwiz as I run Nova. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Need some input

I haven't used either, but I would actually lean to the M8. Samsung just didn't really win me over just going by specs alone.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

S5.
    Camera is better and removable battery for me is a must have for any phone.
    The two power saving modes with grey scale screen can be game changers when no where near a power source for long periods. Demoed both at best buy and the M8 is a nice phone but still the non removable battery and camera are enough to keep me from buying it. Enjoy whatever you get.

Posted via Android Central App

I would say for you to get your own hands on experience with both phones before you decide. Both phones are awesome in their own right.

Oh and also for me the headphone jack on the bottom is another complete deal breaker for me.

Global Posts
    4,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MBM7881 View Post
    Hi everyone...i need some advice. I'm torn between the HTC One M8 and the S5. I've been with Samsung since the Epic 4G. I have had HTC phones and have really enjoyed them. Which one would you pick? I get that I'm in the S5 forum but I'm hoping that someone may own both and can give me input about both features and how the camera works out. In the past I wouldn't have purchased HTC because they got rid of the micro sd. I don't mind so much about the removable battery but no micro sd is a deal breaker for me. Now the M8 has a micro sd card slot. I also love the front facing speakers on the M8. I don't mind either about water or dust proof phones as you can buy cases like that now anyways. Sooo any input would be great. I thought I was sold on the S5 but when I saw the M8 had an sd slot, I've been going back and forth. I also don't care about sense or touchwiz as I run Nova. Thanks in advance

I'm torn on which I should keep. I tried the M8 on for size and ran with it for a few days. I really dig the speakers/sound on the M8. The build quality is awesome. It is a bit taller than my S4 but nothing I wouldn't get used to. I haven't had a HTC device since the TyTn II, so I'm out of touch with Sense. The lack of a removable battery didn't phase me but adding the SD card was great. Plus the M8 comes in the 32gb flavor. I took numerous pictures with the M8 and found them to be decent - where you loose is when you start to zoom in. The front camera was superb. Battery life was excellent, at least in my duration with it.

The S5 also has its pros. The camera is better and display is said to be better although I haven't seen the S5 up close and personal. I am used to Samsung and they way they operate but I'm going to hold an open mind and see what the best fit or me is. The S5 also has a lot of stuff I wouldn't use such as the heartbeat monitor, fingerprint scanner, etc.

Take a feel with each of them and see what you think.

"In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Quote Originally Posted by psp1232171 View Post
    Oh and also for me the headphone jack on the bottom is another complete deal breaker for me.

Position of the jack may be in issue for some, but the voltage output is a lot higher on the m8. Audio will definitely sound better with headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.

With Neutron Music player and my Skullcandy Aviator headphones the sound will be just fine for me, yes not AS good as the M8 but still good.

Global Posts
    4,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not to mention there is speculation Samsung is working on a "Prime" or "F" class device. This may have me rethink keeping the M8 and getting the "premium" device when released. Something to think about.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

S5.
    Camera is better and removable battery for me is a must have for any phone.
    The two power saving modes with grey scale screen can be game changers when no where near a power source for long periods. Demoed both at best buy and the M8 is a nice phone but still the non removable battery and camera are enough to keep me from buying it. Enjoy whatever you get.

Ditto on the above but the S5 you will buy now only has a miserable 16gb where the M8 will come equipped with 32 gb. I can live without a removable battery if the phone is equipped with a large enough non removable battery. If you take pictures of your family then you would want the camera in the S5 over the M8,

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I'm torn on which I should keep. I tried the M8 on for size and ran with it for a few days. I really dig the speakers/sound on the M8. The build quality is awesome. It is a bit taller than my S4 but nothing I wouldn't get used to. I haven't had a HTC device since the TyTn II, so I'm out of touch with Sense. The lack of a removable battery didn't phase me but adding the SD card was great. Plus the M8 comes in the 32gb flavor. I took numerous pictures with the M8 and found them to be decent - where you loose is when you start to zoom in. The front camera was superb. Battery life was excellent, at least in my duration with it.

The S5 also has its pros. The camera is better and display is said to be better although I haven't seen the S5 up close and personal. I am used to Samsung and they way they operate but I'm going to hold an open mind and see what the best fit or me is. The S5 also has a lot of stuff I wouldn't use such as the heartbeat monitor, fingerprint scanner, etc.

Take a feel with each of them and see what you think.

A bit taller! I guess for that large bezel at the bottom maybe? When I saw the pictures the camera takes was the deal breaker for me. I did want those speakers though. I was ready to pull the trigger on one on Swappa.com and then backed out when I saw some samples of the camera. that kind of money would/should mean a better camera. The black or dark grey (charcoal) metal was nice but since it would be in a case what difference should it make to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MBM7881 View Post

S5. Camera. Battery. Easy pick.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

I think M8. But really it is so dang close. Both are great and you just have to play with them both.
    I got both of them at the moment. Unfortunately this is the only way I can choose a phone these days because the competition is so good. I see which one pisses me off the most first lol.

But the M8 is pretty sexy. That sd slot is super convenient. BoomSound is top notch. Front facing cam is really good. Main camera is good. A lot of people will say the cam outright sucks when compared to the S5 but if you just instagram/ tweet/facebook and snapchat photos like I do, then they are pretty much equal. I do notice a difference when I zoom in or blow a pic up on my tv or computer though !

Samsung has a design that is getting a little old in my opinion. What I do love about the design though is that it is very comfortable to hold and to operate with one hand since it is shorter than the M8. The material naturally has a bit more grip than the super smooth metal on the M8

Quote Originally Posted by dtblair24 View Post
    I think M8. But really it is so dang close. Both are great and you just have to play with them both.
    I got both of them at the moment. Unfortunately this is the only way I can choose a phone these days because the competition is so good. I see which one pisses me off the most first lol.

But the M8 is pretty sexy. That sd slot is super convenient. BoomSound is top notch. Front facing cam is really good. Main camera is good. A lot of people will say the cam outright sucks when compared to the S5 but if you just instagram/ tweet/facebook and snapchat photos like I do, then they are pretty much equal. I do notice a difference when I zoom in or blow a pic up on my tv or computer though !

Samsung has a design that is getting a little old in my opinion. What I do love about the design though is that it is very comfortable to hold and to operate with one hand since it is shorter than the M8. The material naturally has a bit more grip than the super smooth metal on the M8
    S5. Camera, battery. Easy pic.

Decision Tree, M8 vs S5

How important are these:
    • Build Quality Feel
    • Speaker Sound
    • Blinkfeed ( a cool, HTC interpretation of Flipbook)

...in relation to these:

• Photo Quality
    • Replaceable Batter
    • Fingerprint Scanner
    • Water/Dust Proof (mostly)
    • Smaller Bezels on Screen Side
    • Overall Slightly Better Screen

To the extent that the former list attracts you, go with the M8. To the extent that the latter list attracts you, go with the S5.

As I could care less about the premium build, the camera on the M8 is a deal breaker. We can argue about the merits of megapixels all day long, but the bottom line is the M8 has the worst camera of its generation. It has and will lose every camera shootout by a country mile.

The IP67 rating of the S5 is the other huge differentiator for me.
    japetty and Xzibit3 like this.

Blinkfeeed? Are you serious? Nova Launcher will rid my home screens if blink feed and magazine on S5 n a NY minute. And build/feel, tell me how it works out yhe first time you drop the M8. Enjoy whichever device that you guys get.

Blinkfeeed? Are you serious? Nova Launcher will rid my home screens if blink feed and magazine on S5 n a NY minute. And build/feel, tell me how it works out yhe first time you drop the M8. Enjoy whichever device that you guys get.

I've dropped my m8 several times, not a scratch on it

Fixed

Decision Tree, M8 vs S5

How important are these:

• Build Quality Feel
    • BoomSound speakers
    • Blinkfeed ( a cool, HTC interpretation of Flipbook)
    • 32gb internal storage
    • Camera features (ufocus) as gimmicky as some might think it is, no other phone has a hardware implementation that does this
    • Higher voltage output for audio jack

...in relation to these:

• Higher megapixel camera
    • Replaceable Battery
    • Fingerprint Scanner
    • Water/Dust Proof (mostly)
    • Smaller Bezels on Screen Side
    • Overall Slightly Better Screen

To the extent that the former list attracts you, go with the M8. To the extent that the latter list attracts you, go with the S5.

also S5 has emmc 5.0 ,M8 has 4.5

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Still going with better camera, removable battery, headphone jack on top. M8 is a nice looking device, but I don't rally care. S5 for me. Now I have to get all four lines in two states out of a Sprint contract into T-Mobile.

Still going with better camera, removable battery, headphone jack on top. M8 is a nice looking device, but I don't rally care. S5 for me. Now I have to get all four lines in two states out of a Sprint contract into T-Mobile.

Yep much better phone imho Metal don't do anything for me in the least just a gimmick as the finger print thing in the S5. I like being able to swap in a fresh battery instead of having it tethered to a charger. If VZW don't get S5 32 gb I will wait for the Note 4 which will be 32 gb I am sure. I waited a long time for the S4 in 32 gb but really like the phone. I can live with a non removable battery if I decide I have to but would rather not. Both are nice though but I do think metal is more of a deterrent for me than anything else. I use a case on all phones no exceptions as I like to keep them as nice as I can to sell later and to help protect those large screens against breakage as much as it can. Good luck with the move to TMOB

Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    Yep much better phone imho Metal don't do anything for me in the least just a gimmick as the finger print thing in the S5.
    I really really hope that the fingerprint thing is not gimmicky. It's one of the things for which I have the highest hope. Especially if LastPass will design an app around it Apple gimped their fingerprint software (and I understand why) but I'm hoping Sammy makes biometric on mobile go mainstream.

I doubt it will but a guy can hope.