Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bklynblaze
  • 1 Post By jonebk12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S5 memory card question (First time android owner)

Is this memory card compatible with the SG5? Seems like a good deal for a 64 GB card. ($85.00) Website says its a clearance sale and it's good for another 2 hours or so. SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card - Up To 64GB microSD Memory Card

If not, what cards would you guys recommend? Thanks
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-06-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy GS5 memory card question (First time android owner)

Quote Originally Posted by bklynblaze View Post
    Is this memory card compatible with the SG5? Seems like a good deal for a 64 GB card. ($85.00) Website says its a clearance sale and it's good for another 2 hours or so. SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card - Up To 64GB microSD Memory Card
    If not, what cards would you guys recommend? Thanks
    I would get this card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

The cost/speed/size ratio is excellent.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    Thanks! Quick question, can I use the card to store my apps along with music, photos and video? Thanks again!

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Thanks! Quick question, can I use the card to store my apps along with music, photos and video? Thanks again!
    That's a complicated Q&A. Here is what I wrote about this in another thread:

From what I have been reading is that app developers need to update their app to use the restricted folder they are allowed to use on the SD card. So google now restricts apps from able to read and write all over the place on the SD card. This way it is more secure. So if the app you use is up to date to utilize the SD card on KitKat you should have little to no prob.

My example is that I was afraid BeyondPod would not allow me to save podcasts to the SD card any more. The developers have updated the app to have the restricted folder able to store downloaded podcasts. This frees up around 5GB on the on-board storage for me. The thing I do not know is if games are still able to have the majority of their data stored on the SD card. I am not a big gamer on the phone (my tablet and Nvidia Shield are for that) so I will not need that much storage for apps. I know others will have an issue.

In summary, from what I read, developers can update their app to have data stored on the SD. Kitkat is still a small piece of the pie in regards to android OS adoption pie chart but it is growing and I'm sure app developers are updating more and more.

Finally, Please let me know if I have anything wrong or off. This is an interesting topic to read into and a little laborsome to understand at times.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Gaming apps sound like it will be hit or miss. I'm not a phone gamer so I don't have a problem with app storage. You can store photos, vidoes, music on the SD card no problem.

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

fillyo
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 on CM10
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's a complicated Q&A. Here is what I wrote about this in another thread:

From what I have been reading is that app developers need to update their app to use the restricted folder they are allowed to use on the SD card. So google now restricts apps from able to read and write all over the place on the SD card. This way it is more secure. So if the app you use is up to date to utilize the SD card on KitKat you should have little to no prob.

My example is that I was afraid BeyondPod would not allow me to save podcasts to the SD card any more. The developers have updated the app to have the restricted folder able to store downloaded podcasts. This frees up around 5GB on the on-board storage for me. The thing I do not know is if games are still able to have the majority of their data stored on the SD card. I am not a big gamer on the phone (my tablet and Nvidia Shield are for that) so I will not need that much storage for apps. I know others will have an issue.

In summary, from what I read, developers can update their app to have data stored on the SD. Kitkat is still a small piece of the pie in regards to android OS adoption pie chart but it is growing and I'm sure app developers are updating more and more.

Finally, Please let me know if I have anything wrong or off. This is an interesting topic to read into and a little laborsome to understand at times.
    Wow interesting read. Never knew it was that complicated. I will have to do some research. I hope I don't regret leaving my cozy ios ecosystem.
    atg284 likes this.

You won't regret it. Most of the apps I use have been updated and allow me to move to the SD card. But I do not play games so I cannot speak on the game developers and how quick they are to update. It is for security so I believe it's a good thing . I do have 45gb if music on Google music and 45gb on the SD card as well as 2000pics and I still have many many gigs available. Internally I have about 8gb available in my galaxy s4. Hope that helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Make sure to get a class 10 sd card

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Oooo that's nice! I would get that one if it stays the same price!

The Samsung one looks to be a bit faster in speed though. I've used SanDisk and Samsung cards. Really can't go wrong with either

Quote Originally Posted by psp1232171 View Post
    Make sure to get a class 10 sd card

What are the practical ramifications of a lower speed card? Would it only affect how apps run, or could it also negatively affect storing pictures and videos (recording a 4k vid directly to the card for example)?

Writing and reading speeds. Especially with the spead and mega pixels. Don't even try it I say.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Oooo that's nice! I would get that one if it stays the same price!
    It is nice but I already bought the one you recommended. It's all good. I have a quick trigger finger. Only $5 difference.
    Thanked by:
    atg284 

Sweet. Enjoy.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

It is nice but I already bought the one you recommended. It's all good. I have a quick trigger finger. Only $5 difference.
    Cool! It definitely is a nice card. I have the exact same on in my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet and it is very fast and has had no problems since November of last year.
    Thanked by:

Other than the price, are those two Scandisk and Samsung cards basically identical for use in an S5?

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Other than the price, are those two Scandisk and Samsung cards basically identical for use in an S5?

I would say so. Looks like the Samsung one is a bit faster. The reviews back that up as well. There are a few apps that you can use to test them when they are in your phone. I use "A1 SD Bench"

I would say so. Looks like the Samsung one is a bit faster. The reviews back that up as well. There are a few apps that you can use to test them when they are in your phone. I use "A1 SD Bench"
    Thanks. I ended up going with this 32GB Scandisk. It looked pretty good for $25 http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extrem...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

atg284 likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 memory card question (First time android owner)

you can try for M2 memorycard