Is the Galaxy S5's real game-changer the Download Booster?

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to dig up more information on this hardware feature and found a good article on it that I think needs to be talked about:

The Samsung Galaxy S5's Most Dangerous Feature | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

As it states, it allows LTE + WIFI download streams SIMULTANEOUSLY. So, if you're in range of both a 5Mbps WIFI connection -AND- a 7Mbps LTE connection, you'll be able to download at a combined 12Mbps rate, though some sort of packet-delegation.

It also stands to show that this will greatly benefit the unlimited data carriers, as it'll give you faster overall download speed, given the right circumstances.

What I'm wondering is why this isn't being more touted by Samsung? Is it because it only works with LTE? Or is everyone just obsessed with Fingerprint scanners and screen resolution?

Seems to me like a HUGE feature, especially for unlimited data carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile, for example...

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
While I find the feature Cool I don't personally think it is a selling factor and wasn't for me. I got a new phone last week and was between waiting for the Galaxy s5 or the note 3 and TBH the only reason why i would of gotten the s5 over the note 3 was the 16 mp camera with the faster shutter ( or whatever it is that makes it faster) . my Wifi connection ( I don't use public wifi ;) ) is around 15 mbps down and 1 Mbps up and my LTE from T-mobile is around 30-40 Down and 20 up on average

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Unless there have been some new developments, I had read concerns that the big networks (Verizon and AT&T) might disable this feature. Perhaps Samsung doesn't want hype up the download booster when the two biggest US carriers won't include it - could **** off customers when they finally get their new phone and it's not there.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I could've sworn I saw my S3 do this a couple of weeks ago when the WiFi kept dropping I got a notification about it using both to maintain a steady connection.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts? The two major carriers cap people... So Samsung knows this and therefore doesn't brag about the feature must.

We also have another thread saying AT&T may have disabled it... Time will tell.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with those saying carriers are to blame. For those on limited data this would be a horrible feature that would defeat the purpose of using wifi for some.

Manufactures and developers are always making sure we are aware of data usage with warnings and disclaimers. Freaking apple wouldn't even let me update my phone over lte. Instead I had to wait so much longer on a crappy wifi connection at my job.

Posted via Android Central App

puremeerkat

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the rationale of why carriers are supposedly blocking it. Wouldn't they get more money when customers go over their data caps? What's the issue for them.

Posted via Android Central App

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I believe the issue is when those customers complain about going over because they thought they were using Wi-Fi. Most consumers aren't very tech savvy and it'll just confuse them.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No carrier has said they will disable it. That was all based on someone going to AT&T and the store disabling it on a model. Disabling it makes no sense from the carrier point of view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463