I'm switching from iPhone to Android, and based on everything I've read, I'm most likely going to get the Galaxy S5. Unless the camera ends up being a colossal disappointment... so here's to hoping it will be fantastic!

Anyways, I have a question about the unlocked version of this phone vs the carrier-specific version. I'm on AT&T, and the only phones I've ever owned have been subsidized and under 2-year contract. When I travel to Europe, it can get a bit pricey because I have to go through AT&T for my service, instead of buying a SIM while I'm over there. So the idea of factory unlocked hardware is compelling to me. But are there downsides to using a factory unlocked phone on AT&T? For example, I've read that some factory unlocked phones don't support AT&T LTE frequencies.

I'm done a ton of research, but I feel like I might be missing something important here. So I'm asking (those who preferably have actual experience) these questions:

* What are the downsides of buying a factory unlocked version of the phone and then using it on AT&T?
    * If I were to pay outright for an AT&T phone, will they unlock it so I can use a European carrier's SIM?

Thanks!

- Ben
    04-06-2014 08:17 AM
    I'm switching from iPhone to Android, and based on everything I've read, I'm most likely going to get the Galaxy S5. Unless the camera ends up being a colossal disappointment... so here's to hoping it will be fantastic!

Anyways, I have a question about the unlocked version of this phone vs the carrier-specific version. I'm on AT&T, and the only phones I've ever owned have been subsidized and under 2-year contract. When I travel to Europe, it can get a bit pricey because I have to go through AT&T for my service, instead of buying a SIM while I'm over there. So the idea of factory unlocked hardware is compelling to me. But are there downsides to using a factory unlocked phone on AT&T? For example, I've read that some factory unlocked phones don't support AT&T LTE frequencies.

I'm done a ton of research, but I feel like I might be missing something important here. So I'm asking (those who preferably have actual experience) these questions:

* What are the downsides of buying a factory unlocked version of the phone and then using it on AT&T?
    * If I were to pay outright for an AT&T phone, will they unlock it so I can use a European carrier's SIM?

Thanks!

- Ben
    Your second question, I can share my experience but it is based on T-Mobile. Might be the same with AT&T. I have always bought every phone I have owned outright and I have been doing that for years. In store I would buy the phone and then I would have to call in to T-Mobile customer care to request an unlock code. I was usually supplied with the code within a couple of days of requesting it. It's been a couple of years since I did that, back when T-Mobile was still doing the contract thing. But from what I remember, as long as you paid for your phone outright and did not own a balance, you were given the code. I would assume it is the same now.

If AT&T does not want to do it for you, there are plenty of sites online that can do it for you for about 20-30 bucks and on eBay even lower sometimes (I got my S4 Active unlocked for 3.99).
    04-06-2014 11:03 AM
    I have had several unlocked phones on AT&T. The only problems I had were with getting the APN settings correct. After that no problems. I have not done any overseas travel but I have used one in Canada on a prepaid Rogers sim.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-06-2014 07:02 PM
    I just spoke with Erica at AT&T customer service. She said that as long as I can show proof that I paid full retail price for the new phone, they'll unlock it for me. Which means I can preorder it at Radio Shack and save the $50 through their current promotion.

I just have to follow the instructions here to actually unlock it: http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=Bdr14SH_
    04-07-2014 07:46 AM