Can't swipe fingerprint with one hand on Galaxy S5

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
been reading this everywhere, if this is true it defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner, who the hell wants to use 2 hands esp when driving or if you have something in your other hand

Last edited by a moderator:

xjesterx

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: cant swipe fingerprint with one hand on s5

It probably depends on the user, but it might be true. I honestly don't think it's a deal breaker for me, but I get the frustration.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

been reading this everywhere, if this is true it defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner, who the hell wants to use 2 hands esp when driving or if you have something in your other hand

Where did you hear this? It's really simple to use one hand, and a lot of people think you have to use your pointer finger. But you can simply swipe your thumb across.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Ummm in the car thats why u get a Car Holster...this will be so much easier than putting a pin in my car

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Ummm in the car thats why u get a Car Holster...this will be so much easier than putting a pin in my car
I'm really looking forward to this if my work will let me use the fingerprint scanner to let me in.

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

bottom line if i cant take the phone out of my pocket with 1 hand and unlock it with my thumb its kind of pointless

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I was able to use the fingerprint scanner with just one hand at the AT&T store. Without having read any of these articles you mention, I can see why it can be awkward and fail because the home button is so close to the bottom of the device. But I seemed to register new prints in the setup just fine. Not sure, depends on your hand size and grip? In any case, I would definitely invest in a holder or mount.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

bottom line if i cant take the phone out of my pocket with 1 hand and unlock it with my thumb its kind of pointless

Yep, totally pointless.

Except of course for secure payments via Paypal.

Except of course for the the apps that will be able to be written for it since it isn't locked down like Apple's

Except of course for those people that don't buy a 5.1 inch screen phone thinking it's only for one hand.

But if you only have one arm or if you absolutely must securely unlock with one hand while driving (or God forbid, both!), then yes, totally pointless. I'd definitely go with one of the many other phones with a fingerprint scanner.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Either way I use my s3 with 2 hands 90% of the time. So it doesn't really matter to me.

Posted via Android Central App

chad rodgers

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

played with s5 @ att yesterday and can confirm that sensor for fingerprint will work with thumb sideways. in turn allowing a one handed operation. no video i have seen shows the print being set up this way. having said that...as posted earlier...who buys a 5.1 inch screen phone not expecting to use two hands. P.S. DONT TEXT AND DRIVE MY WIFE AND KIDS ARE ON THE ROADS TOO!

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I may seem like the outcast here but I can comfortably use the S4 one handed and I have used the S5 in store one handed as well. Keep in mind, I am 6'3 with fairly large hands so I may be beyond the norm but I still feel its fair to assume a 5.1" device can be used comfortably one handed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site

played with s5 @ att yesterday and can confirm that sensor for fingerprint will work with thumb sideways. in turn allowing a one handed operation. no video i have seen shows the print being set up this way. having said that...as posted earlier...who buys a 5.1 inch screen phone not expecting to use two hands. P.S. DONT TEXT AND DRIVE MY WIFE AND KIDS ARE ON THE ROADS TOO!

sideways or diagonal?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Why does this "defeat the purpose of a finger print scanner"?

That does not make any sense to me. The scanner is for added convenience. Why does one have to use only one and in order for this to be valuable?

demarco5

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
because nobody wants to hold their phone like a book just to unlock it...trust me i hate apple but you pull it out of your pocket and use your thumb and youre in......no reason to have to do more then that

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
because nobody wants to hold their phone like a book just to unlock it...trust me i hate apple but you pull it out of your pocket and use your thumb and youre in......no reason to have to do more then that

There's no doubt that Apple's version is better, at least hardware-wise (jury is still out in total integration). But there is a big difference between "not quite as good as Apple" and "defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12