Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By smooth4lyfe
  • 3 Post By katmandoo122
  • 2 Post By chad rodgers
  • 2 Post By Fdmstng99
  • 1 Post By katmandoo122
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't swipe fingerprint with one hand on Galaxy S5

been reading this everywhere, if this is true it defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner, who the hell wants to use 2 hands esp when driving or if you have something in your other hand
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-07-2014 at 12:15 AM.

Default Re: cant swipe fingerprint with one hand on s5

It probably depends on the user, but it might be true. I honestly don't think it's a deal breaker for me, but I get the frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post
    been reading this everywhere, if this is true it defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner, who the hell wants to use 2 hands esp when driving or if you have something in your other hand
    Where did you hear this? It's really simple to use one hand, and a lot of people think you have to use your pointer finger. But you can simply swipe your thumb across.

Ummm in the car thats why u get a Car Holster...this will be so much easier than putting a pin in my car
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
    Thanked by:
    marrzie and vamp464 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Ummm in the car thats why u get a Car Holster...this will be so much easier than putting a pin in my car
    I'm really looking forward to this if my work will let me use the fingerprint scanner to let me in.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

bottom line if i cant take the phone out of my pocket with 1 hand and unlock it with my thumb its kind of pointless
    Thanked by:

bottom line if i cant take the phone out of my pocket with 1 hand and unlock it with my thumb its kind of pointless
    u can unlock with ur thumb

I was able to use the fingerprint scanner with just one hand at the AT&T store. Without having read any of these articles you mention, I can see why it can be awkward and fail because the home button is so close to the bottom of the device. But I seemed to register new prints in the setup just fine. Not sure, depends on your hand size and grip? In any case, I would definitely invest in a holder or mount.

Yep, totally pointless.

Except of course for secure payments via Paypal.

Except of course for the the apps that will be able to be written for it since it isn't locked down like Apple's

Except of course for those people that don't buy a 5.1 inch screen phone thinking it's only for one hand.

But if you only have one arm or if you absolutely must securely unlock with one hand while driving (or God forbid, both!), then yes, totally pointless. I'd definitely go with one of the many other phones with a fingerprint scanner.

Either way I use my s3 with 2 hands 90% of the time. So it doesn't really matter to me.

Posted via Android Central App

played with s5 @ att yesterday and can confirm that sensor for fingerprint will work with thumb sideways. in turn allowing a one handed operation. no video i have seen shows the print being set up this way. having said that...as posted earlier...who buys a 5.1 inch screen phone not expecting to use two hands. P.S. DONT TEXT AND DRIVE MY WIFE AND KIDS ARE ON THE ROADS TOO!
    Joe113 and Rick Bell like this.

I may seem like the outcast here but I can comfortably use the S4 one handed and I have used the S5 in store one handed as well. Keep in mind, I am 6'3 with fairly large hands so I may be beyond the norm but I still feel its fair to assume a 5.1" device can be used comfortably one handed.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chad rodgers View Post
    played with s5 @ att yesterday and can confirm that sensor for fingerprint will work with thumb sideways. in turn allowing a one handed operation. no video i have seen shows the print being set up this way. having said that...as posted earlier...who buys a 5.1 inch screen phone not expecting to use two hands. P.S. DONT TEXT AND DRIVE MY WIFE AND KIDS ARE ON THE ROADS TOO!
    sideways or diagonal?

Default Re: Can't swipe fingerprint with one hand on Galaxy S5

Shouldn't be using a phone when driving anyway.
    Rick Bell and chad rodgers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
    sideways or diagonal?
    Totally sideways

Posted via Android Central App

Why does this "defeat the purpose of a finger print scanner"?

That does not make any sense to me. The scanner is for added convenience. Why does one have to use only one and in order for this to be valuable?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

because nobody wants to hold their phone like a book just to unlock it...trust me i hate apple but you pull it out of your pocket and use your thumb and youre in......no reason to have to do more then that

because nobody wants to hold their phone like a book just to unlock it...trust me i hate apple but you pull it out of your pocket and use your thumb and youre in......no reason to have to do more then that
    There's no doubt that Apple's version is better, at least hardware-wise (jury is still out in total integration). But there is a big difference between "not quite as good as Apple" and "defeats the whole purpose of the fingerprint scanner".
    Xm_jdm likes this.

I would never use this feature, no worries here