Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So, I've finally played with the S5 for a bit...

And honestly, I don't know what to think of it. (For now)

Here are my impressions.

Design - Couldn't even recognize the device for the first time until I look at it closer. I tested a white model, which actually looks pretty nice in my opinion. The back, while not a sight to behold, feels a lot better than the S4, but not quite up to the feel of the Note 3, but it's a nice improvement. I went to see it with my sister, and she remarked her dislike of the faux metallic trim on the side of the phone. I honestly don't think it's that bad, but hey, there's always a case for that, right?

Software - TouchWiz looks different, but doesn't actually feel that different. I'm sure there are some differences there but it's kinda subtle. From the time I played with it, the animations take a while, though I'm pretty sure some tweaks in the developer options should fix that.

Performance - On the demo unit, it feels snappy. However, due to my past experience with Samsung phones, your model's performance may have a slight variation, depending on age, number of apps running and apps/services installed.

Camera - Noticeable improvement. Looks sharper and has a wicked fast AF.

Other stuff - Tested the heartbeat sensor. Reasonably accurate, but considering the fact that my other phones (HTC One, GS3, etc.) have a heartbeat sensor app, and that they are also reasonable accurate, it's kind of a gimmick to me. Didn't test the fingerprint sensor, unfortunately.

Overall, do I like the S5? Yes. Is it good enough to drive me away from my HTC One M7? No. Is it better than the One M8? No. Is the One M8 better? Slightly, but not by much, though it's camera is still disappointing.

Honestly, both the S5 and One M8 are great phones, and I also know that the Z2 will be another great smartphone.

Note that my views on all phones are solely based on my own personal PoV. You may not agree with me, and I fully respect that.
    Last edited by D13H4RD2L1V3; 04-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.
    Sent from my Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P/HTC One running InsertCoin 2.5 Sense 6.

Default Re: So, I've finally played with the S5 for a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by D13H4RD2L1V3 View Post

Here are my impressions.

Design - Couldn't even recognize the device for the first time until I look at it closer. I tested a white model, which actually looks pretty nice in my opinion. The back, while not a sight to behold, feels a lot better than the S4, but not quite up to the feel of the Note 3, but it's a nice improvement. I went to see it with my sister, and she remarked her dislike of the faux metallic trim on the side of the phone. I honestly don't think it's that bad, but hey, there's always a case for that, right?

Software - TouchWiz looks different, but doesn't actually feel that different. I'm sure there are some differences there but it's kinda subtle. From the time I played with it, the animations take a while, though I'm pretty sure some tweaks in the developer options should fix that.

Performance - On the demo unit, it feels snappy. However, due to my past experience with Samsung phones, your model's performance may have a slight variation, depending on age, number of apps running and apps/services installed.

Other stuff - Tested the heartbeat sensor. Reasonably accurate, but considering the fact that my other phones (HTC One, GS3, etc.) have a heartbeat sensor app, and that they are also reasonable accurate, it's kind of a gimmick to me. Didn't test the fingerprint sensor, unfortunately.

Overall, do I like the S5? Yes. Is it good enough to drive me away from my HTC One M7? No. Is it better than the One M8? No. Is the One M8 better? Slightly, but not by much.

Honestly, both the S5 and One M8 are great phones, and I also know that the Z2 will be another great smartphone.
    The M8 forfeited being a top contender when it shipped with a sub par camera and increased the height of the device for such a marginal screen increase. The S5 is definitely better.

Posted via Android Central App

Here are my impressions.

Overall, do I like the S5? Yes. Is it good enough to drive me away from my HTC One M7? No. Is it better than the One M8? No. Is the One M8 better? Slightly, but not by much.

do tell how the M8 and it's medicore camera are slightly better?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It's just a personal opinion.

That said, the S5's camera definitely trumps the One M8's 4MP shooter, without a doubt.
    bd1212 likes this.

I tested both at the AT&T store near me and my opinion is the opposite. I would personally prefer the S5. I thought the metal edges on the S5 were too shiny and looked cheap though. Based on my short time with both the camera on the S5 appeared much better and also had super fast focus. Performance wise I couldn't tell a difference between the two. I think it's a toss up from that perspective. The two things I think put the S5 over the top are the better camera and the ultra power saving mode....personally I can't tell you how many times I would have loved to have that feature on my S4. Both great phones though.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybp View Post
    I tested both at the AT&T store near me and my opinion is the opposite. I would personally prefer the S5. I thought the metal edges on the S5 were too shiny and looked cheap though. Based on my short time with both the camera on the S5 appeared much better and also had super fast focus. Performance wise I couldn't tell a difference between the two. I think it's a toss up from that perspective. The two things I think put the S5 over the top are the better camera and the ultra power saving mode....personally I can't tell you how many times I would have loved to have that feature on my S4. Both great phones though.
    I personally prefer the One M8, but both the S5 and M8 are great handsets.

My biggest gripe with the S5 is TouchWiz, while my biggest gripe with the M8 is it's admittedly disappointing 4MP 'UltraPixel' camera.
    lindseybp, Skyway and Topgonzo like this.

I personally prefer the One M8, but both the S5 and M8 are great handsets.

My biggest gripe with the S5 is TouchWiz, while my biggest gripe with the M8 is it's admittedly disappointing 4MP 'UltraPixel' camera.
    I agree on the touchwiz. Not a fan. I wish the S5 had the metal build quality of the M8 too but what can you do. If we could just combine the best of both we would have one heck of a phone!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by lindseybp View Post
    I agree on the touchwiz. Not a fan. I wish the S5 had the metal build quality of the M8 too but what can you do. If we could just combine the best of both we would have one heck of a phone!
    Well, the dimpled back does make the S5 feel heck a lot better than the S4.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So, do I want one?

Possibly, but my mom doesn't want it. She had a bad experience with Samsung (GS2, BTW) as her handset drove her nuts.

To the point where she wants....wait for it.....a HTC One Max. My mom <3 big phones.
    mayconvert likes this.

The M8 actually felt pretty big. Side by side, the M8 is higher.

The S5 has USB 3.0 as well, add that to the better camera, dust and water resistance and the better camera.

Those were deciding factors for me to move from my M7. Although the M8 wins in design, audio jack and speakers.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 and MrLater like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post
    The M8 actually felt pretty big. Side by side, the M8 is higher.

The S5 has USB 3.0 as well, add that to the better camera, dust and water resistance and the better camera.

Those were deciding factors for me to move from my M7. Although the M8 wins in design, audio jack and speakers.
    I think those are good and valid reasons to choose one phone over the other. I respect your decision.

I'll never understand the big deal about the metal design. Yes, it looks nice, but why does everyone ignore the obvious drawbacks? It's tall. It's got wasted bezel space because they insist front facing speakers are the way to go even though sales numbers help to determine that's probably not the case. It's slippery. It doesn't allow for wireless charging. It has the lock button on the top, which is annoying for a taller device. It also scratches easily.

So because it -looks- better it doesn't need to function better? Most people put cases on their phones so it doesn't really matter.

Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Adranalyne View Post
    I'll never understand the big deal about the metal design. Yes, it looks nice, but why does everyone ignore the obvious drawbacks? It's tall. It's got wasted bezel space because they insist front facing speakers are the way to go even though sales numbers help to determine that's probably not the case. It's slippery. It doesn't allow for wireless charging. It has the lock button on the top, which is annoying for a taller device. It also scratches easily.

So because it -looks- better it doesn't need to function better? Most people put cases on their phones so it doesn't really matter.

I think it's more of a personal thing. You might not like it, but maybe a few others do.

Also, in my opinion, sales numbers are not a valid tool to judge a device's performance.
    Last edited by D13H4RD2L1V3; 04-07-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    Thanked by:
    aggie and Citizen Coyote like this.

I think it's more of a personal thing. You might not like it, but maybe a few others do.

Also, in my opinion, sales numbers are not a valid tool to judge a device's performance.
    Yes. But not enough HTC still losing money.

Thanked by:

So, do I want one?

Possibly, but my mom doesn't want it. She had a bad experience with Samsung (GS2, BTW) as her handset drove her nuts.

To the point where she wants....wait for it.....a HTC One Max. My mom <3 big phones.
    Your mom?
    Kevin Oates likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Your mom?
    Yes, mah mother.

(I smell a "your mom" series of jokes coming)

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Think LG G3...WORTH THE WAIT!

Global Posts
    2,482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The M8 forfeited being a top contender when it shipped with a sub par camera and increased the height of the device for such a marginal screen increase. The S5 is definitely better.
    I have to agree with this. I returned my M8 today (still within my 14 days) and preordered the S5. The height of the device really bothered my, and also how slippery it was. I went back to my G2 and it feels so small compared to the M8.

I gave up on Samsung after the Fascinate, then tried them again with the Nexus on VZW. After that I said I'd never have another Samsung phone again, but here I go again!

The display on the S5 is a lot better than the m8.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

My 2:
    Is the S5 better than the M8? :Each have their merits, but I prefer the M8. (Mostly because sense is cleaner, and it looks better)
    Is the S5 enough to make me plan on buying it instead of a Note 3 when I upgrade? Heck no! (My dream phone is the Note 3, but with a REAL leather backing and a REAL metal band)
    If I had to either keep my dinosaur of a smartphone (iPhone 4) or upgrade to the S5, what would I do? S5, duh.
    Ex Apple iSheep!

Will be hitting my local ATT store tonight to mess around with the S5..currently have S3, so it'll be a worthwhile upgrade.

Global Posts
    682 Global Posts

I returned my one because of the bezel and on screen buttons. There is so much wasted space. I have never had a Samsung, but the one I used at an ATT store was nice. My major complaints about Samsung seemed to have been addressed. The lag and stutter seemed to be greatly improved and the reception is much better. The S5 had about 5-7 dbm higher than the S4 next to it.

Because it's metal so it automatically makes everything better. I never understood this either. Sadly if the s5 was metal, nobody would even be talking about the m8 but since it's "cheap plastic" which actually go play with one and it's far from cheap. People jump all over the m8 and it's sub par camera and large size for the screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfam4 View Post
    My 2:
    Is the S5 better than the M8? :Each have their merits, but I prefer the M8. (Mostly because sense is cleaner, and it looks better)
    Is the S5 enough to make me plan on buying it instead of a Note 3 when I upgrade? Heck no! (My dream phone is the Note 3, but with a REAL leather backing and a REAL metal band)
    If I had to either keep my dinosaur of a smartphone (iPhone 4) or upgrade to the S5, what would I do? S5, duh.
    A REAL metal band and a REAL leather backing would be my dream phone as well, but without the REAL materials the Black Note3 has a quality and professional look...IMHO. The Note3 is by far the BEST smartphone I have owned to date and I have owned plenty.
    Banned

and then M8 owners wrap a plastic case around it anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Because it's metal so it automatically makes everything better. I never understood this either. Sadly if the s5 was metal, nobody would even be talking about the m8 but since it's "cheap plastic" which actually go play with one and it's far from cheap. People jump all over the m8 and it's sub par camera and large size for the screen size.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast