Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moving apps

Will the s5 have the option to move apps to the SD card?

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Default Re: Moving apps

Moving apps-eddard-stark-hbo-sean-bean-game-thrones1.png

This is my take:

From what I have been reading is that app developers need to update their app to use the restricted folder they are allowed to use on the SD card. So google now restricts apps from able to read and write all over the place on the SD card. This way it is more secure. So if the app you use is up to date to utilize the SD card on KitKat you should have little to no prob.

My example is that I was afraid BeyondPod would not allow me to save podcasts to the SD card any more. The developers have updated the app to have the restricted folder able to store downloaded podcasts. This frees up around 5GB on the on-board storage for me. The thing I do not know is if games are still able to have the majority of their data stored on the SD card. I am not a big gamer on the phone (my tablet and Nvidia Shield are for that) so I will not need that much storage for apps. I know others will have an issue.

In summary, from what I read, developers can update their app to have data stored on the SD. Kitkat is still a small piece of the pie in regards to android OS adoption pie chart but it is growing and I'm sure app developers are updating more and more.

Finally, Please let me know if I have anything wrong or off. This is an interesting topic to read into and a little laborsome to understand at times.
    newtda513 likes this.

What is the need or reason to move apps to the sd card?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    I was just wondering if it is a option with the new phone and new os

Quote Originally Posted by newtda513 View Post
    I was just wondering if it is a option with the new phone and new os
    I'm sure it is and as far as I know, Google has re-written the way Android reads and/or writes to it. Just follow what Atg284 posted right above.

I would also suggest to you and others to keep your app and app data in your internal storage space. It keeps things simple this way and prevents problems with corrupt files and sd cards especially when the phone is dropped and/or has a bad impact. If you need more space for apps in your internal space, they I would encourage you and others to wait for the 32gb version of the phone to release.
    atg284 and newtda513 like this.

Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Kit Kat I have the ability to download the following up to date apps to my SD card (I am not a gamer):
    Evernote, Boat browser, Pocket, Pandora, Netflix, Quickpic, Zedge, Vibe Vault, Aviary Hotel Tonight, Neutron Music player, Opera Browser.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App
    atg284 and newtda513 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by psp1232171 View Post
    Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Kit Kat I have the ability to download the following up to date apps to my SD card (I am not a gamer):
    Evernote, Boat browser, Pocket, Pandora, Netflix, Quickpic, Zedge, Vibe Vault, Aviary Hotel Tonight, Neutron Music player, Opera Browser.

Hope this helps.

Yes the S5 with have this option. Not all apps are updated and/or allow to move to the SD card, but a lot do.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    How about games that take 1-3GB of space, that is reason enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    How about games that take 1-3GB of space, that is reason enough.
    Then you my friend are in need of more internal storage capacity for your device. Join us on the 32gb side!