Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bklynblaze
  • 1 Post By Netherscourge
  • 1 Post By Fdmstng99
  • 2 Post By SlimJ87D
  • 2 Post By atishc
  • 1 Post By isitme
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Authority review of SG5

Can't wait for the FedEx guy to bring me this phone!
    Premium1 likes this.

Default Re: Android Authority review of SG5

Wow - that's the most in-depth review and demonstration I've seen.

Glad someone finally did a real-time demo of many of the features.

Definitely getting this phone.
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Wow - that's the most in-depth review and demonstration I've seen.

Glad someone finally did a real-time demo of many of the features.

Definitely getting this phone.
    I've always liked Android Authority video's.
    Thanked by:
    Greg C likes this.

I'm Asian, so I'm not trying to be racist, but I was not expecting an Asian guy with that voice. I wish I had a voice like that lol.
    MBM7881 and Fishfam4 like this.

I like the review because he actually shows you what he's talking about - like going through the settings, Touchwiz, demonstrates how the touch-sensor works, shows the off-screen gesture swiping in action, pours water on the phone while it's recording video, etc...

THAT is a review.

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nice review, but there are so many people doing reviews nowadays they all start to blend together.

The only thing he missed was the finger print scanner does more than just unlock the phone. You'll be able to pay to pay for purchases with PayPal by swiping your finger. You can do this online or in stores that accept PayPal.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

This will be my first Android phone since owning every iPhone since 2007 except the 5s. My question to those who have experience with Android and Touchwiz in particular, what are your thoughts on it? Every review has mixed feelings about it. (Does your S4 or other Samsung devices lag?) Coming from an iPhone I'm hoping to be able to adapt to the Touchwiz os and that it won't be too much of a shock. I played around with the SG5 in my AT&T store and was blown away with the larger screen and the detail and vibrancy. It seemed smooth...but then again it is a store model and not bogged down with apps, music and videos..etc. Thanks for any input on helping my switch over to the Android world go smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynblaze View Post
    This will be my first Android phone since owning every iPhone since 2007 except the 5s. My question to those who have experience with Android and Touchwiz in particular, what are your thoughts on it? Every review has mixed feelings about it. (Does your S4 or other Samsung devices lag?) Coming from an iPhone I'm hoping to be able to adapt to the Touchwiz os and that it won't be too much of a shock. I played around with the SG5 in my AT&T store and was blown away with the larger screen and the detail and vibrancy. It seemed smooth...but then again it is a store model and not bogged down with apps, music and videos..etc. Thanks for any input on helping my switch over to the Android world go smoother.
    Complaints about Touchwiz generally come from people who have experience with other Android devices and don't enjoy the Samsung visual style. I have only owned Galaxy devices, so there is nothing unusual or jarring about the visual appearance as I am very much accustomed to it. There are certain Touchwiz features that I would definitely miss in stock Android (quick settings in the notification bar, the Contacts and Camera apps, etc.). I own a Galaxy S3 and there is a bit of lag and stutter here and there, particularly worsened with the latest software update, but nothing too terrible for a 2 year old device. I turned off most of the motion controls since they use battery and do not work all the time. The improved specs and better memory management of KitKat should keep the S5 relatively future-proof. In short, if you are coming directly from iPhone and don't mind the visual appearance of Touchwiz, I wouldn't see Touchwiz as a reason to not get a Galaxy device.
    Thanked by 2:
    GrooveRite and neiljay6 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynblaze View Post
    My S4 with kit Kat 4.4.2 doesn't lag at all. But I do "turn off" the sprint apps and Samsung apps in the app settings that I don't ever use. And I also turn off all animations in the developer options settings, plus Nova launcher and my s4 is smoking fast. Welcome and have fun.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

what are those weird visible dots underneath the capactive buttons?

Use Nova launcher and you'll love the transition. I usually try all of the flagships and Nova is my favorite on Android.
    GrooveRite likes this.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

"The 5.1" Super AMOLED screen complements the new version of TouchWiz, which means that colors basically pop out and punch you in the face."

*Pours water on S5 while recording*

Josh Vergara's subtle humor is one of the main reasons I watch Android Authority's videos. (Besides learning about new devices) IMO, they're up there with AC in terms of video/article quality.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I really think that they should have made the fingerprint sensor a touch (like the 5s) instead of a swipe. That makes it a two-handed gesture instead of one .

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    I really think that they should have made the fingerprint sensor a touch (like the 5s) instead of a swipe. That makes it a two-handed gesture instead of one .
    I've read that it works if you slide your thumb to the side.... you can unlock it one-handed.

+1, with an always-on scanner. I'm thinking that the narrow footprint of the button may have been a limitation, i.e. scanning might not be reliable when only a strip of the finger is captured.

The company that specializes and owns the patents for the touch fingerprint sensors like the one used on the iPhone 5S was purchased by Apple a while ago. Since Apple owns them, they are not willing to share the tech associated with it and in turn Samsung was forced to use a swipe fingerprint sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by rahxephon View Post
    +1, with an always-on scanner. I'm thinking that the narrow footprint of the button may have been a limitation, i.e. scanning might not be reliable when only a strip of the finger is captured.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,451 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by atishc View Post
    Complaints about Touchwiz generally come from people who have experience with other Android devices and don't enjoy the Samsung visual style. I have only owned Galaxy devices, so there is nothing unusual or jarring about the visual appearance as I am very much accustomed to it. There are certain Touchwiz features that I would definitely miss in stock Android (quick settings in the notification bar, the Contacts and Camera apps, etc.). I own a Galaxy S3 and there is a bit of lag and stutter here and there, particularly worsened with the latest software update, but nothing too terrible for a 2 year old device. I turned off most of the motion controls since they use battery and do not work all the time. The improved specs and better memory management of KitKat should keep the S5 relatively future-proof. In short, if you are coming directly from iPhone and don't mind the visual appearance of Touchwiz, I wouldn't see Touchwiz as a reason to not get a Galaxy device.
    Another thing people Complain about is bloat ware and redesigned/reingeneered apps. Personally if not for their customizations I'd have likely kept the iPhone or gotten the Lumia Icon instead of sticking with Android.

Samsung is the only Android OEM that has their ish together at any decent level when it comes to services. The only way to offer a user experience comparable to what iOS users get out of the box is by offering their own services and preloading apps.

No offense, but some of Google services are either plain bad or the apps are pretty terrible or bare bones.

To the average person, TouchWiz is a selling point.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk