Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    I have a Razr Maxx (5.15 x 2.71). I am due for an upgrade in August on Verizon. I've been examining possible options and have narrowed my search down to the the HTC One M8 (5.76 x 2.78), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85), and the Sony Xperia Z2 (5.78 x 2.89) if it even comes to the US. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Galaxy S5 but am worried, as with all new Android phones, that it is too big! I have friends with an LG G2 (5.45 x 2.79) and HTC DNA (5.55 x 2.78) and think these pones look huge compared to my Razr Maxx.

    Bigger phone = better display + more space for better hardware. But I like to keep my Razr Maxx in my pants pocket while I work sitting in an office. Honestly, does anyone have a hard time storing the bigger phones in their pocket? And is it easier or harder to text/talk with a bigger phone? Ergonomics & comfort will play a big role in my decision on which Android phone I get.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    M8 is bigger than s5. Coming from the iPhone 5s and using a nexus 5 for the past few months I can't go back to the phone with display less than 5". Tried using my kids ip5 last week and it felt small. Give it a few days and you won't want to go smaller
  3. #3  

    Default

    I'm coming from a RAZR maxx too and had the exact same concerns. Though I obviously don't have any experience with the S5 yet, the case I ordered has arrived. It's one of the really thin, light ones that matches the profile of the phone so I feel like it's a decent approximation. After playing around with it a little (taking it in and out of my pocket, etc.), my concerns about the size are mostly assuaged. It is bigger, yes. But I don't think I'll have too much trouble adjusting. Can't speak to texting/talking/using the phone of course.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by hockey9592 View Post
    I have a Razr Maxx (5.15 x 2.71). I am due for an upgrade in August on Verizon. I've been examining possible options and have narrowed my search down to the the HTC One M8 (5.76 x 2.78), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85), and the Sony Xperia Z2 (5.78 x 2.89) if it even comes to the US. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Galaxy S5 but am worried, as with all new Android phones, that it is too big! I have friends with an LG G2 (5.45 x 2.79) and HTC DNA (5.55 x 2.78) and think these pones look huge compared to my Razr Maxx.

    Bigger phone = better display + more space for better hardware. But I like to keep my Razr Maxx in my pants pocket while I work sitting in an office. Honestly, does anyone have a hard time storing the bigger phones in their pocket? And is it easier or harder to text/talk with a bigger phone? Ergonomics & comfort will play a big role in my decision on which Android phone I get.
    No.
  5. #5  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    959 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by hockey9592 View Post
    I have a Razr Maxx (5.15 x 2.71). I am due for an upgrade in August on Verizon. I've been examining possible options and have narrowed my search down to the the HTC One M8 (5.76 x 2.78), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85), and the Sony Xperia Z2 (5.78 x 2.89) if it even comes to the US. I am pretty much sold on the Samsung Galaxy S5 but am worried, as with all new Android phones, that it is too big! I have friends with an LG G2 (5.45 x 2.79) and HTC DNA (5.55 x 2.78) and think these pones look huge compared to my Razr Maxx.

    Bigger phone = better display + more space for better hardware. But I like to keep my Razr Maxx in my pants pocket while I work sitting in an office. Honestly, does anyone have a hard time storing the bigger phones in their pocket? And is it easier or harder to text/talk with a bigger phone? Ergonomics & comfort will play a big role in my decision on which Android phone I get.
    Nope.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Nope..perfect size and feels much nicer to hold than my S3.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    No. Phone is great size. Run over to best buy to check it out.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    if your not upgrading till august more things may be out by then or coming soon, the motoX for instance is smaller so it's next version will probably be the small form factor and as good or better as the three phones your listing now,
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?-uploadfromtaptalk1396928960427.jpg

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?-uploadfromtaptalk1396928997507.jpg

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by speed13 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396928997507.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	111350

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    I love those cases! I have one on my Note 3.

    Also, on topic, the S5 size isn't too big. I find the Note 3 to be a bit big at times and would maybe prefer an S5. However, the S-Pen is useful on certain websites so its difficult for me to let it go.

    Although... The Electric Blue Spigen Neo Hybrid case makes me want to switch.

    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by speed13 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396928997507.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	111350

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    I'm using the neo hybrid on my s4. The update is sick. Just copped one for the s5. Hopefully they arrive the same day.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default

    It's too big for me. But it seems the majority enjoy it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  14. #14  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    959 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by speed13 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396928960427.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	111349

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    Neos make galaxy s look huge.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    It's too big for me. Bit it seems the majority enjoy it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Don't be such a 'SQUARE' Ry!! lolol!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I find them to be ummm, 'square-ish' for my taste.

    What do you think of the UAG case Ry??
  16. #16  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    959 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Agreed. The Neo also adds a lot of bulk.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Don't be such a 'SQUARE' Ry!! lolol!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I find them to be ummm, 'square-ish' for my taste.

    What do you think of the UAG case Ry??
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    No, the S5 is most definitely not too big. It is simply a momentary juxtaposition of your mind's impression based on past experience. When I got my first HTC EVO, it seems huge (and it was) because I was coming from Blackberry. Now, my S3 seems really small. Frankly, the hardest decision is between the S5 and the Note 3 and the Lumia 1520. The Note 3 with a case seems to physically big but the screen size is great. The Lumia 1520 without a case seems completely awesome. The S5 may be a tad too small after you ahve it for 3 weeks (or 3 days!).
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    No, the S5 is most definitely not too big. It is simply a momentary juxtaposition of your mind's impression based on past experience. When I got my first HTC EVO, it seems huge (and it was) because I was coming from Blackberry. Now, my S3 seems really small. Frankly, the hardest decision is between the S5 and the Note 3 and the Lumia 1520. The Note 3 with a case seems to physically big but the screen size is great. The Lumia 1520 without a case seems completely awesome. The S5 may be a tad too small after you ahve it for 3 weeks (or 3 days!).
    I'm in the same boat, but after messing around with the Note3 and S5 at the store, I may go S5. It'll be a nice upgrade from my S3.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    I have an S4 and while I don't think it's too big, it's probably as big as I'd want to go. After using it for 10 months I think I'd prefer something slightly smaller rather than something slightly bigger. The big screen is nice, but it's difficult to reach the entire screen when holding the phone with one hand. It's not a huge deal because I can just put all of the icons and widgets I interact with the most at the bottom of the screen, but every once in a while I need to get to the upper left hand corner of the screen and having to shift the phone to make that possible is an opportunity to drop it. With the S5 it will be slightly worse than with the S4. I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but it's worth considering, especially if you have a few months before you upgrade.
  20. #20  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    What do you think of the UAG case Ry??
    Ginormous. But looks solid if you need that level of protection.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Ginormous. But looks solid if you need that level of protection.
    I like the look of the case but also think it may add too much bulk. I do value a protective case though. I'll have to wait and see what the consensus think.
  22. #22  
    hallda01's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    I guess it depends on your hands. One of my inlaws had the Razor Maxx and I have the S4 Active, which is pretty close on width to the S5 and I found the Maxx much more comfortable to use one handed. I sometimes have trouble reaching the far end of my screen. But I have pretty small hands, so it might not be a big deal for you. I mean, if you asked LeBron about his Note 3, I think he'd tell you it's perfect for one handed usability.
    Sanyo VI-2300->LG Rumor->BlackBerry 8830->LG Lotus Elite->BlackBerry Bold 9930->Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
  23. #23  
    dtblair24's Avatar

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    I find it pretty easy to hold. Especially when compared to the HTC one.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    For me it's going to come down to the case I end up using. Def not gonna go max layers like an otterbox defender or I'll prob find the phone too big, haha.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Is the Galaxy S5 Too Big?

    Quote Originally Posted by rahxephon View Post
    For me it's going to come down to the case I end up using. Def not gonna go max layers like an otterbox defender or I'll prob find the phone too big, haha.
    Haha, so true. I love the size of my Note 3 naked but nearly every case makes it too big. Neo Hybrid is great looking for awkward to hold on such a big device. On the S5 its probably acceptable for me but I tend to stick to TPU cases. If you're looking for minimal bump protection look at the TUDIA branded cases. Great feel and are already available for $9 on Amazon.

    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    Thanked by:
    rahxephon likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions