Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Adranalyne
  • 2 Post By kilofoxtrot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Design Issue

" For a $200 tablet, the*Asus-made*Nexus 7 is impressively built and styled. Like most other tablets, what you mainly see is a glossy, black-bezeled display. In this case, that display is ringed by a matte silver band which looks like metal, but is a rigid plastic. Around back, the device is covered in a soft-touch, dimpled material which has the feel of taut leather. Amusingly, Android design chief Matias Duarte told me that the idea was to mimic "Steve McQueen style" driving gloves and the effect is definitely there.

In all, Im impressed by what Asus and Google have done with the Nexus 7. Its a classy, well-made product from a design standpoint. It may not be the most original, thinnest, or lightest tablet on the market, but its certainly a respectable and refined entrant to the race. Bottom line this is a much better feeling and looking tablet than anything else in its price range." -Joshua Topolsky from the Verge

Faux metal band? Dimpled matte back? Larger bezels? Sounds familiar. I used this excerpt because I find the hypocrisy too amusing as it pertains to the S5. Functionality means nothing, apparently, because all that keeps coming up is that it's not metal and it's not a good design. There was a generally positive review to the OG Nexus 7, a device Matias Duarte apparently had a lot of input on. In practice, there's not a lot of differences between the design language in the Nexus 7 and S5. One is made by Asus, is a Nexus, and doesn't have a negative stigma around it. That's pretty much it.

As more reviews pour in, expect more of the same. There won't be a lot of positive remarks about the design, but the S5 is undoubtedly built well and is comfortable to hold. For this, I'll say not to "ask the internet". Pick up the device yourself and pretend for a second there's not a huge bandwagon of people who love metal. You'll probably really like it.

Posted via Android Central App
    atg284 and milesdavis26 like this.

Default Re: The Design Issue

Very good.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I guess for $500 more some people might expect a little extra, I don't know. Looks fine to me.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by marrzie View Post
    I guess for $500 more some people might expect a little extra, I don't know. Looks fine to me.
    For $650, I expect the phone I buy to be functional. I expect it to feel comfortable to not only hold, but to use. I expect it to be durable (IP67 helps). I expect to be able to hold onto it, not drop it because it's slippery. Some people treat the S5 like it's a See and Say or something. It's hilarious. It doesn't look that cheap and if you disagree, you're most likely just riding the bandwagon of hating Samsung.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adranalyne View Post
    For $650, I expect the phone I buy to be functional. I expect it to feel comfortable to not only hold, but to use. I expect it to be durable (IP67 helps). I expect to be able to hold onto it, not drop it because it's slippery. Some people treat the S5 like it's a See and Say or something. It's hilarious. It doesn't look that cheap and if you disagree, you're most likely just riding the bandwagon of hating Samsung.

I think it looks fine. But if I didn't like it, it would be my personal preference, not some blind brand loyalty. Its ok to have your own opinions but please don't automatically assume if others don't share your opinions that they are blindly hating on samsung "just because".

Whether you like it or not......the S5 is a solidly built device. Period! I'll even go a little further and say that 'MOST' Samsung products are well made. They've been much more dependable and reliable than Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, etc....in my experience.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I haven't held the S5 in my hands, but if it's anything like the S4, there's nothing to complain about. The only thing I really didn't like about the S4 was the glossy plastic which gets slippery and dirties easily. The S5's back is supposed to be better, so I wouldn't say it's terribly built.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by marrzie View Post
    I think it looks fine. But if I didn't like it, it would be my personal preference, not some blind brand loyalty. Its ok to have your own opinions but please don't automatically assume if others don't share your opinions that they are blindly hating on samsung "just because".
    If you're the type that thinks it's as cheap as a See and Say, you're just hating. If you just don't like the design because it doesn't appeal to you, by all means. Thought it was pretty clear what I meant.

You can have a well designed phone, tablet, laptop etc etc made from any material. Metal and Plastic happen to be two of the choices.

Dont confuse build materials with design quality. They are not always mutually inclusive.
    ibcop and GrooveRite like this.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I never said that. I think plastic is fine and metal is also fine. I was just asking why people assume everyone uses case? I was not trying to be mean or sarcastic and I am certainly not judgmental as to your or anyone else's preferences.

Global Posts
    5,739 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I haven't held the S5 in my hands, but if it's anything like the S4, there's nothing to complain about. The only thing I really didn't like about the S4 was the glossy plastic which gets slippery and dirties easily. The S5's back is supposed to be better, so I wouldn't say it's terribly built.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    This! The S3 was a fingerprint smudge magnet as well.