Galaxy S5: Signal Strength

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Once the device is in the hands of a decent amount of users I'd like to see how the signal compares to other devices. The S4 was not as good as the Note series but the Note 3 seems to be worse than the Note 2. I'm hoping Samsung got their act together because I have friends who can't hold a call for the life of them on the S4 and Note 3 but Motorola phones, as expected, worked fine. Just not enough "flash" or tech in Motorola devices. :p

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength

I went to Verizon to check the signal strength along with other things. In that area the stores and my Note 3 hovered around -100 dBm. Not the best, but acceptable. The S5 hovered around -103 to -105 dBm.

Again, not a huge difference but still a difference either way.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound promising, thanks for the update.

No, it really doesn't. I wanted to make the switch but Samsung radios are never the best so I canceled my preorder through Verizon/Comcast promotion. I just found it odd that two Note 3 devices held the same signal while one S5 was worse. I even switched positions of the devices just in case the couple of inches mattered and same result.

The Sprint S5 store model had a 6-8dBm weaker signal than my S4.

Posted via Android Central App

I've seen others report that the S5 has better reception than the S4. I'm not sure if they used bars or actual dBm information to confirm though.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Verizon with my S5 and it seems about the same if not a little bit better than my Moto Razr Maxx XT912.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess there is difference between CDMA and GSM radio performance? The at&t model I saw was better than even M8, Moto X next to it which are regarded as good reception phones. The difference is about 6~7dbm but noticeable.

I think up to 5dbm difference is not something to worry much, but if it's more than 10dbm it's bad.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess there is difference between CDMA and GSM radio performance? The at&t model I saw was better than even M8, Moto X next to it which are regarded as good reception phones. The difference is about 6~7dbm but noticeable.

I think up to 5dbm difference is not something to worry much, but if it's more than 10dbm it's bad.

Depends, -120 is no signal so if you go to an area like that ever those extra 3-5 dBm may matter. The issue is Samsung phones are worse than Motorola and others so every dBm counts.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I got the S5 yesterday - the real-world reception is worse than on the N3, and considerably worse than on the iPhone 5S. It's also slightly worse than on my wife's M8. While I can get a solid 4G lock on the iPhone 5S, I can't get 4G at all on the S5 in my house.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got the S5 yesterday - the real-world reception is worse than on the N3, and considerably worse than on the iPhone 5S. It's also slightly worse than on my wife's M8. While I can get a solid 4G lock on the iPhone 5S, I can't get 4G at all on the S5 in my house.

That's depressing. :(

I really want a smaller Samsung device but my most important feature is top tier signal strength. I may have to look else where with Motorola and HTC One M8 maybe.

Last edited:

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Depends, -120 is no signal so if you go to an area like that ever those extra 3-5 dBm may matter. The issue is Samsung phones are worse than Motorola and others so every dBm counts.

It's true small dbm difference matters if you are close to -120dbm. Actually I had such phone, Galaxy Nexus on Verizon which was definition of weak reception phone! S3 was much better than Gnex though still not great. But on GSM network like at&t, T-mo, Samsung phones seem to do just as well as other brands if not better.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It's true small dbm difference matters if you are close to -120dbm. Actually I had such phone, Galaxy Nexus on Verizon which was definition of weak reception phone! S3 was much better than Gnex though still not great. But on GSM network like at&t, T-mo, Samsung phones seem to do just as well as other brands if not better.

I wonder why Samsung has issues on CDMA if not on GSM. I obviously haven't tested reception nor could I based on different carriers/location but still odd. Don't get me wrong I love my Note but the S5 display is perfect and I love the comfort level. I'm just not willing to give up signal strength even though I'm usually in decent enough areas.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Quick question - even though I saw a difference is the phone still worth it? I obviously am going to be looking for a smaller device but I also want it to work properly. I love the amount of accessories available and I use Tempered Glass protectors so Samsung is the way to go if all goes well.

Go for it? I'm all back and fourth on this one. Lol

dwatcool

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
My findings with my GS3 at the Verizon store today. My GS3 -90db, GS5 -95db. Both were side by side. Checked both display models and got the same results. Wonder if a radio update will soon come?? This weaker radio concerns me a little.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My findings with my GS3 at the Verizon store today. My GS3 -90db, GS5 -95db. Both were side by side. Checked both display models and got the same results. Wonder if a radio update will soon come?? This weaker radio concerns me a little.

I can't believe its weaker than a 2 year old phone. That's a concerning thing to me and to be honest unacceptable. The GS3 wasn't known for having a great radio either.

Maybe a software update is due to hit soon?

Last edited:

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This seems wierd to me as many people stated the S5 had better signal than the S4 and now people are stating otherwise

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This seems wierd to me as many people stated the S5 had better signal than the S4 and now people are stating otherwise

I may go to Best Buy and buy an S5. I can return with no restocking fee within 14 days (30 but don't want an active contract if I return) and do a 2 week test. I can't imagine it being unusable but who knows.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I may go to Best Buy and buy an S5. I can return with no restocking fee within 14 days (30 but don't want an active contract if I return) and do a 2 week test. I can't imagine it being unusable but who knows.

I think that is your best bet if you are really considering the S5 as a replacement for your Note 3. Speaking of the Note 3, upon release people complained about weak signal strength and said it was noticeably worse than the S4, I havent been paying attention to the Note forums so I'm wondering were those claims valid or did they turn out to be false?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that is your best bet if you are really considering the S5 as a replacement for your Note 3. Speaking of the Note 3, upon release people complained about weak signal strength and said it was noticeably worse than the S4, I havent been paying attention to the Note forums so I'm wondering were those claims valid or did they turn out to be false?

Weaker than others but not horrible. Some people have a lot of issues and others don't.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey