Galaxy S5: Don't like the folder icon

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I got the phone today and I really like it. I don't like the folder icons for when you make a folder on a home screen. They look like...a folder.. Big and blocky looking. Much prefer the round folder icons like on stock android. I know I can change the launcher but I love the stock Samsung Calendar and widget. I haven't been able to get that to work with 3rd party launchers.
Everything else seems much much improved and I'm overall very happy with the progress Samsung as made!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Don't like the folder icon

Ok so I got the phone today and I really like it. I don't like the folder icons for when you make a folder on a home screen. They look like...a folder.. Big and blocky looking. Much prefer the round folder icons like on stock android. I know I can change the launcher but I love the stock Samsung Calendar and widget. I haven't been able to get that to work with 3rd party launchers.
Everything else seems much much improved and I'm overall very happy with the progress Samsung as made!

Nova launcher! It's the best.

Posted via Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I saw those folders in a video and was wondering if it made the final version. I also wish the dialpad and messaging was black but Samsung chose white again which disappoints me. No idea why they're using so many bright colors but I've always preferred darker.

BTW - this is how folders look on a Note 3. So much cleaner.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Attachments

• 1397271494831.jpg
    1397271494831.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 120

Jeremy65

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Holy crap, thank you! I hated the folders too. Nova launcher is so much better.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Holy crap, thank you! I hated the folders too. Nova launcher is so much better.

I just can't understand why they would make everything else round and good looking and then those big square ugly folders!

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

You can use Nova Launcher and still keep/use all the samsung widgets

I don't see how to get this Samsung Calendar widget from Nova launcher
agamynur.jpg

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I saw those folders in a video and was wondering if it made the final version. I also wish the dialpad and messaging was black but Samsung chose white again which disappoints me. No idea why they're using so many bright colors but I've always preferred darker.

BTW - this is how folders look on a Note 3. So much cleaner.

I also thought at first the block folder design icon on the S5 was not as nice as the KitKat version on the S4 or as you show the same on your note 3

However after setting up several of them you realize you get up to 6 mini icons within the folder icon rather than the obscured tiled icons on a circular base and you can change the colour of the icon boarder

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

I use Pure Grid Calender . Sorry OP for the thread jacking . LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-13-20-04-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-13-20-04-02.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 72

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, totally stupid question, but I am coming from iPhone 4S so this is a big change. I made a folder but now I want to delete it and can't. When I click and hold it all that comes up is "cancel" which doesn't delete the folder. How do I get rid of the stupid folder?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, totally stupid question, but I am coming from iPhone 4S so this is a big change. I made a folder but now I want to delete it and can't. When I click and hold it all that comes up is "cancel" which doesn't delete the folder. How do I get rid of the stupid folder?

Remove everything from the folder and than long press the folder. You'll see a remove option at the top now.

Edit: are you referring to folders within the app drawer? If so, to delete these hit the menu button (long press the left recent apps button) and select edit. Now long press the folder and it will ask if you'd like to remove.

*guessing on this menu button as I don't have my S5 yet. I know it works but for folders I'm not sure.

Last edited:

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how to get this Samsung Calendar widget from Nova launcher]

I second this. Long time Nova Launcher user here-- have never figured out a way to keep TouchWiz widgets in Nova. As others have recommended, you can use a 3rd party calendar app/widget (I like Business Calendar on my Moto G since it has no stock calendar widget.) However, if anyone knows a way to keep the Samsung one on Nova, that would be great..

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Remove everything from the folder and than long press the folder. You'll see a remove option at the top now.

Edit: are you referring to folders within the app drawer? If so, to delete these hit the menu button (long press the left recent apps button) and select edit. Now long press the folder and it will ask if you'd like to remove.

*guessing on this menu button as I don't have my S5 yet. I know it works but for folders I'm not sure.

Thank you so much! Finally got that stupid folder off! You are my hero!

Jesse McGuay

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

However after setting up several of them you realize you get up to 6 mini icons within the folder icon rather than the obscured tiled icons on a circular base and you can change the colour of the icon boarder

Could you explain how to change the border color. I actually like the note 4 folders a lot better than how my note 2 made em, but to be able to change the border would be a big visual help for me

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams