Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Xm_jdm
  • 1 Post By Gix1k
  • 1 Post By Netherscourge
  • 2 Post By jayochs
  • 2 Post By ffejjj
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Default G2 vs S5 (yes I received it today)

I received by S5 today, I had it shipped next day air ups when i preordered it. I played around with it and set up my exchange email, gmail, and thats about it. First thoughts compared to my G2. I like the back battery cover, it feels nice. the chrome ring around the perimeter, not so much. I don't like my phones blingy, which is how this chrome looks to me. Screen is very nice. After using the G2 since September, I'm liking the on screen buttons. The physical home button I'm not caring for, I'll give it a week though. Overall everything is quick, screen is great, it feels good in the hand. Just not sure how much of a upgrade this is over the G2, if after 12 days or so i'm not feeling it, I'll return it and wait for G3.

Default Re: G2 vs S5 (yes I received it today)

Quote Originally Posted by slammer1 View Post
    I received by S5 today, I had it shipped next day air ups when i preordered it. I played around with it and set up my exchange email, gmail, and thats about it. First thoughts compared to my G2. I like the back battery cover, it feels nice. the chrome ring around the perimeter, not so much. I don't like my phones blingy, which is how this chrome looks to me. Screen is very nice. After using the G2 since September, I'm liking the on screen buttons. The physical home button I'm not caring for, I'll give it a week though. Overall everything is quick, screen is great, it feels good in the hand. Just not sure how much of a upgrade this is over the G2, if after 12 days or so i'm not feeling it, I'll return it and wait for G3.
    G2 vs S5 (yes I received it today)-you-dont-say.jpg

Carrier
    CM9

I moved from S4 to G2 and I am getting used to no buttons
    I did not make the decision yet but I am thinking about S5.
    I should probably go to the store and play with it before making any decision

The knock on/off feature is what I missed the most.

I like the G2 and I'm looking forward to what they come out with the G3 BUT for me, no sd card slot and no removable battery.....no thanks!

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

G2 camera was poor...just poor.
    jayochs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slammer1 View Post
    Wouldn't you want to slap a case on the phone anyway?

That's how I approach these new phones - I could care less what they LOOK like since I can pick and choose any type of protective case I want for it.

It's all about the hardware, software and features for me.
    Rick Bell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gix1k View Post
    G2 camera was poor...just poor.
    yep! that's why i got the S5. G2 had amazing battery life and was a quick phone..but damn that camera was bad. i can't wait until tomorrow!

My camera looks great, but I use manual focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
    yep! that's why i got the S5. G2 had amazing battery life and was a quick phone..but damn that camera was bad. i can't wait until tomorrow!

I'm guessing user error. My daughters G2 camera is really good

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post

not user error. app engineer error. the denoise algorithms they've employed were utter garbage, and everything would denoise like crazy from iso800 and up; thing is, it still used this algorithm in perfectly good lighting at iso 100 with a very fast exposure...there's no need for that in daytime lighting.

on top of this, the camera lacks all detail. 100% crop easily shows issues where edges blur, and you can't draw distinctions between certain objects over a foot away.

on top of all of that, indoor photos were atrocious. their "automatic night mode" always had that oil painting look bc of the crappy company they used for their denoising. it was utter garbage. pics would've looked better with less denoise and less exposure. the camera left A LOT to be desired, and it's mainly software issues.

the video on the phone was just terrible; there was a pure lack of detail at 1080p because of, again, the denoise algorithm. it denoised EVERYTHING over a foot away. there was no quality to it. the focus was utter garbage too, and LG's lack of focus holding was a true problem, as the breathing issue was terrible (even though that was somewhat fixed with mods..which didn't fix it enough). don't even get me started on the audio. they didn't know how to properly employ the noise cancelling mic, resulting in audio that sounded like my 2011 HTC Rezound.

so no, it wasn't user error.
    trandz and ericmazariegos like this.

Lol. I think that's the most critical review of a cell phone camera I've ever had the joy of reading.

jayochs and trandz like this.

Lol. I think that's the most critical review of a cell phone camera I've ever had the joy of reading.

lol :-P believe me.. it's been a rough 6 months of phone pics for me. the g2 is great everywhere else.. but the camera ugh. either way I buy phones every 6 months so I'm excited for the s5 tomorrow :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Well hopefully the S5 camera will perform for yea. Sounds like it's pretty good from the early reviews.

SAME HERE CAMER ROCKS... BUT the 10 mP is better .. change it in the settings

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock!

I made an impulse purchase today and moved to the S5. I'll see whether I keep it or not.

The first thing I miss is wireless charging, I don't know why they can't just charge more and include it out of the box.
    The size is only slightly larger than the G2, not really noticeable unless next to each other...except that the G2 is thinner. I'm finding the S5 a little easier to hold because it is a little thicker.
    The physical button makes me OK without Knock-Knock, but I do miss the buttons on the back.
    I find the screens comparable, but I do notice that the S5 screen isn't as bright as the G2. I also like the true black of the S5.
    I like the lock screen on the S5 better, especially when music is playing.
    The subtle differences between Android 4.2 and 4.3 are impressive. I'm sure I will be wondering what the G2 is like when the VZW update is out.
    Fingerprint unlock is pretty awesome. I'm using a lock screen for the first time.
    I have been surprised that many of the TouchWiz features are turned off by default.
    Action Launcher works just as well as ever.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

I've had two G2s and both were excellent hardware and camera-wise IMO. The G2 is one of the few phones I still deeply recommend. It's interesting to note that some feel the G2's camera is not good. If the G2's camera is not good what is the M7's and M8's?

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘
    ffejjj likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,871 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I've had two G2s and both were excellent hardware and camera-wise IMO. The G2 is one of the few phones I still deeply recommend. It's interesting to note that some feel the G2's camera is not good. If the G2's camera is not good what is the M7's and M8's?

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘
    I got rid of my eye-phones yesterday and returned to a G2 and G Pro. I love these phones...truly something to be excited about.

g2