Note 3 / Galaxy S5 dilemma

JOEY NEAT

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
On March 31st I traded my Iphone 5S in to Best Buy for the Note 3. They said I have 14 days to return it under my Verizon contract. I love the Note 3 and like Android better than IOS. Now tomorrow the Galaxy S5 is being released. The main feature I like from what I've read about the S5 is that it is water resistant, up to the same depth as if it was in a waterproof case. Seidio is coming out with their Obex waterproof case for the Note 3, which I would purchase, though it seems delayed. I use my phone as a GPS and for satellite radio on my motorcycle so waterproof is important to me. My dilemma is do I return the Note 3 for the S5 or do I stick with the Note 3 and wait for the Obex case?

Last edited by a moderator:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Note 3 / s5 dilemma

I would honestly say go to a store and play with the demo S5 before making a decision. You might like the Note 3 but if you don't you can always switch phones.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

The Note 3 is an awesome device. I think you'd be better off with the larger screen while using it while riding - I assume you have it on a mount.

Go play around with one and see what you think. Just take the box and materials from the Note 3 so if you get the urge.... Lol

Posted via Android Central App

JOEY NEAT

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I do have it on a Ram mount. That's the problem every time something new comes out I get the urge.

The Note 3 is an awesome device. I think you'd be better off with the larger screen while using it while riding - I assume you have it on a mount.

Go play around with one and see what you think. Just take the box and materials from the Note 3 so if you get the urge.... Lol

Posted via Android Central App

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

I do have it on a Ram mount. That's the problem every time something new comes out I get the urge.
I'm right there with you!

I've gotten used to the size of my Note 3 though (came from a Note 2) and don't think I can ever get a smaller screen...haha

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I would have taken the Note 3 over the S5 if it was the same size as the S5.

But the Note 3 is so big, it won't fit in my pocket. That's really my only complaint with the Note 3.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

honestly i'm the same way when new stuff comes out so think about it this way. what's gonna happen when samsung debuts the note 4 that their working on in a few short months. i chose the s5 over the note 3 even tho im partial to the note line of phones, just so when the note 4 debuts ill be able to sell my s5 as it will still be the current in the s-series and jump on board with the note 4. and honestly with the way flagship phones are growing in size and power im sure the note and s series will be one in the same within a year or two as more and more people see how awesome a large screen is.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

Everyone I know that has a Note 3 loves it but all agree that the size is a bit obscene. I mess around with one once in a while when visiting a store that has one on display and I still could not bring myself to using one. And I chuckle every time I see someone talking on one. It just looks ridiculous, especially my coworker who has one in an Otterbox Defender case.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

that's odd, every person I've encountered doesnt find it obscene at all. They get used to the screen size quickly and have a hard time using smaller phones. That was my experience as well. It's to a point where I don't even turn on my laptop unless I need Microsoft Office.

And "ridiculous" as you describe it is subjective. I guess people with Notes should only use bluetooth headsets so as not to disturb your sartorial tastes.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Everyone I know that has a Note 3 loves it but all agree that the size is a bit obscene. I mess around with one once in a while when visiting a store that has one on display and I still could not bring myself to using one. And I chuckle every time I see someone talking on one. It just looks ridiculous, especially my coworker who has one in an Otterbox Defender case.

A note in an Otterbox is huggeee. I don't find it silly seeing other people use a note. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Anyone use their Note 3 at the gym? I usually carry my S3 in my pocket when I'm weight training but when I'm on a cardio machine, I place it on the ledge of the machine in front of me so it doesn't feel like I have a brick thats constantly hitting my leg........**catches breath**.....that was a long sentence, sorry, lol! I wonder how the Note 4 would ride and feel in my gym shorts is what I'm trying to say. I suppose I can get one of those arm band pocket things to carry it in but I think it would look like a damn shield with the size of it. What do you guys think??

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Anyone use their Note 3 at the gym? I usually carry my S3 in my pocket when I'm weight training but when I'm on a cardio machine, I place it on the ledge of the machine in front of me so it doesn't feel like I have a brick thats constantly hitting my leg........**catches breath**.....that was a long sentence, sorry, lol! I wonder how the Note 4 would ride and feel in my gym shorts is what I'm trying to say. I suppose I can get one of those arm band pocket things to carry it in but I think it would look like a damn shield with the size of it. What do you guys think??

I would just get an armband. TBH I don't think anyone at the gym will be too focused on the size of your phone. :D

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I would just get an armband. TBH I don't think anyone at the gym will be too focused on the size of your phone. :D

This is true but what I should of said was 'feel' like a shield. I'm not to caught up in what other think of my beefiness.....lolol :D

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

This is true but what I should of said was 'feel' like a shield. I'm not to caught up in what other think of my beefiness.....lolol :D

I would imagine it would feel quite large on your arm. With my girly spongebob arms it would most definitely look like a shield. :p

JOEY NEAT

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

So I went to Best Buy and checked out the S5 and made the switch from the Note 3. So far I really like the S5. Hopefully nothing new comes out for a while. On a side note when I got to Best Buy there was a line of about 5 people waiting to purchase the S5. A sales person told me to go to the return counter since I was returning the Note 3 within 14 days. I returned it, the return clerk went to mobile and got me the S5, popped my sim card in and I was up and running in about 10 minutes!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I have had the Note 3 and its solid phone, and with the right case its not huge at all. I actually was using the Spigen Bounce case which really made the phone feel normal when I used it. Sadly if I move to AT&T which is my plan and take advantage of their Next plan I have to pick a phone and live with it for a year, now of course Veizon does their Edge and you can trade in after 30 days and/or 50% paid off on the phone . . . BUT they suck at software updates and their LTE sucks in my market. So AT&T it is and I am just waiting for the GS5 32GB to launch before I pull the trigger.

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I took my note 3 back after having both for a day together (my 3rd note 3 since launch). I really like both but the S5 just has the perfect 'in hand' feel to it. So now I am carrying both the S5 and M8 and I'm happy with both. I think 5"-5.2ish is a sweet spot.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I would take the Note.

The S5., despite it's lukewarm initial reaction, is still a solid smartphone. (Take that, haters!)

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

I'd have the note. I am a bit biased though as I have a note 3. The S5 is S great phone but I prefer the larger screen and the S-pen. I'm waiting for the note 4.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie