Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 3 / Galaxy S5 dilemma

On March 31st I traded my Iphone 5S in to Best Buy for the Note 3. They said I have 14 days to return it under my Verizon contract. I love the Note 3 and like Android better than IOS. Now tomorrow the Galaxy S5 is being released. The main feature I like from what I've read about the S5 is that it is water resistant, up to the same depth as if it was in a waterproof case. Seidio is coming out with their Obex waterproof case for the Note 3, which I would purchase, though it seems delayed. I use my phone as a GPS and for satellite radio on my motorcycle so waterproof is important to me. My dilemma is do I return the Note 3 for the S5 or do I stick with the Note 3 and wait for the Obex case?

Default Re: Note 3 / s5 dilemma

I would honestly say go to a store and play with the demo S5 before making a decision. You might like the Note 3 but if you don't you can always switch phones.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Community Rules & Guidelines

Global Posts
    5,588 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Note 3 is an awesome device. I think you'd be better off with the larger screen while using it while riding - I assume you have it on a mount.

Go play around with one and see what you think. Just take the box and materials from the Note 3 so if you get the urge.... Lol

Posted via Android Central App
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
    JOEY NEAT likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I do have it on a Ram mount. That's the problem every time something new comes out I get the urge.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    The Note 3 is an awesome device. I think you'd be better off with the larger screen while using it while riding - I assume you have it on a mount.

Go play around with one and see what you think. Just take the box and materials from the Note 3 so if you get the urge.... Lol

Posted via Android Central App
    VDub2174 and Spencerdl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEY NEAT View Post
    I do have it on a Ram mount. That's the problem every time something new comes out I get the urge.
    I'm right there with you!

I've gotten used to the size of my Note 3 though (came from a Note 2) and don't think I can ever get a smaller screen...haha
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."

Community Rules & Guidelines

Spencerdl likes this.

I would have taken the Note 3 over the S5 if it was the same size as the S5.

But the Note 3 is so big, it won't fit in my pocket. That's really my only complaint with the Note 3.

honestly i'm the same way when new stuff comes out so think about it this way. what's gonna happen when samsung debuts the note 4 that their working on in a few short months. i chose the s5 over the note 3 even tho im partial to the note line of phones, just so when the note 4 debuts ill be able to sell my s5 as it will still be the current in the s-series and jump on board with the note 4. and honestly with the way flagship phones are growing in size and power im sure the note and s series will be one in the same within a year or two as more and more people see how awesome a large screen is.

Everyone I know that has a Note 3 loves it but all agree that the size is a bit obscene. I mess around with one once in a while when visiting a store that has one on display and I still could not bring myself to using one. And I chuckle every time I see someone talking on one. It just looks ridiculous, especially my coworker who has one in an Otterbox Defender case.
    nj1266 likes this.

that's odd, every person I've encountered doesnt find it obscene at all. They get used to the screen size quickly and have a hard time using smaller phones. That was my experience as well. It's to a point where I don't even turn on my laptop unless I need Microsoft Office.

And "ridiculous" as you describe it is subjective. I guess people with Notes should only use bluetooth headsets so as not to disturb your sartorial tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Everyone I know that has a Note 3 loves it but all agree that the size is a bit obscene. I mess around with one once in a while when visiting a store that has one on display and I still could not bring myself to using one. And I chuckle every time I see someone talking on one. It just looks ridiculous, especially my coworker who has one in an Otterbox Defender case.
    A note in an Otterbox is huggeee. I don't find it silly seeing other people use a note. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5
    VDub2174 likes this.

Anyone use their Note 3 at the gym? I usually carry my S3 in my pocket when I'm weight training but when I'm on a cardio machine, I place it on the ledge of the machine in front of me so it doesn't feel like I have a brick thats constantly hitting my leg........**catches breath**.....that was a long sentence, sorry, lol! I wonder how the Note 4 would ride and feel in my gym shorts is what I'm trying to say. I suppose I can get one of those arm band pocket things to carry it in but I think it would look like a damn shield with the size of it. What do you guys think??

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Anyone use their Note 3 at the gym? I usually carry my S3 in my pocket when I'm weight training but when I'm on a cardio machine, I place it on the ledge of the machine in front of me so it doesn't feel like I have a brick thats constantly hitting my leg........**catches breath**.....that was a long sentence, sorry, lol! I wonder how the Note 4 would ride and feel in my gym shorts is what I'm trying to say. I suppose I can get one of those arm band pocket things to carry it in but I think it would look like a damn shield with the size of it. What do you guys think??
    I would just get an armband. TBH I don't think anyone at the gym will be too focused on the size of your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabigayle View Post
    I would just get an armband. TBH I don't think anyone at the gym will be too focused on the size of your phone.
    This is true but what I should of said was 'feel' like a shield. I'm not to caught up in what other think of my beefiness.....lolol

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    This is true but what I should of said was 'feel' like a shield. I'm not to caught up in what other think of my beefiness.....lolol
    I would imagine it would feel quite large on your arm. With my girly spongebob arms it would most definitely look like a shield.
    GrooveRite likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

So I went to Best Buy and checked out the S5 and made the switch from the Note 3. So far I really like the S5. Hopefully nothing new comes out for a while. On a side note when I got to Best Buy there was a line of about 5 people waiting to purchase the S5. A sales person told me to go to the return counter since I was returning the Note 3 within 14 days. I returned it, the return clerk went to mobile and got me the S5, popped my sim card in and I was up and running in about 10 minutes!
    Thanked by:
    trandz and jaleesag88 like this.

I have had the Note 3 and its solid phone, and with the right case its not huge at all. I actually was using the Spigen Bounce case which really made the phone feel normal when I used it. Sadly if I move to AT&T which is my plan and take advantage of their Next plan I have to pick a phone and live with it for a year, now of course Veizon does their Edge and you can trade in after 30 days and/or 50% paid off on the phone . . . BUT they suck at software updates and their LTE sucks in my market. So AT&T it is and I am just waiting for the GS5 32GB to launch before I pull the trigger.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

If you do not absolutely need the biggest screen + stylus S5 wins hands down.

I took my note 3 back after having both for a day together (my 3rd note 3 since launch). I really like both but the S5 just has the perfect 'in hand' feel to it. So now I am carrying both the S5 and M8 and I'm happy with both. I think 5"-5.2ish is a sweet spot.
    Thanked by:

Personally, I would take the Note.

The S5., despite it's lukewarm initial reaction, is still a solid smartphone. (Take that, haters!)
    Lenovo IdeaPad Y410P running Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    LG G4 running Android 5.1 "Lollipop" (Stock LG UX 4.0 UI) *CURRENT DAILY DRIVER*
    HTC One (M7) running Android 5.1.1 "Lollipop" (Custom CM12.1 ROM based on AOSP)
    LG G3 running Android 5.0 "Lollipop" (Stock LG UX 3.0 UI)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 5.1 "Lollipop" (Custom CM12.1 ROM based on AOSP)

I'd have the note. I am a bit biased though as I have a note 3. The S5 is S great phone but I prefer the larger screen and the S-pen. I'm waiting for the note 4.

Posted from my galaxy note 3
    Live Long and Prosper!

That's gonna always be an issue every few months something new and "better" comes out. Unless your really into taking picture or fitness I don't see any reason to trade the note 3 for an s5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts

On March 31st I traded my Iphone 5S in to Best Buy for the Note 3. They said I have 14 days to return it under my Verizon contract. I love the Note 3 and like Android better than IOS. Now tomorrow the Galaxy S5 is being released. The main feature I like from what I've read about the S5 is that it is water resistant, up to the same depth as if it was in a waterproof case. Seidio is coming out with their Obex waterproof case for the Note 3, which I would purchase, though it seems delayed. I use my phone as a GPS and for satellite radio on my motorcycle so waterproof is important to me. My dilemma is do I return the Note 3 for the S5 or do I stick with the Note 3 and wait for the Obex case?
    I'd go with the S5: faster, much more beautiful version of Touchwiz, drastically better camera and a screen that's pretty big as well.

My sister got the S5 yesterday and I really got a chance to "check it out". I've come to the conclusion that I LIKE the S5, but LUV my Note3. Both are GREAT devices, but the Note3 just gives ME that WOW feature that I want in my device of choice. You really can't go wrong with either device.
    Glitzy35 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I find it far less dorky to talk on my N3 when it's wearing the S-view cover )
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,067 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trandz View Post
    If you do not absolutely need the biggest screen + stylus S5 wins hands down.
    How does it "Win" hands down? The Cpu is a Minor and i mean MINOR upgrade to a 2.5ghz quadcore cpu and the same GPU . The Note 3 has 3GB of Ram compared to 2GB on the s5 .... For all intent and purpose the note 3 is the better specced phone out of the 2. Unless you want the smaller screen the note 3 is the better phone

Yeah the pixel density is better on the s5 but thats only because it is a smaller device
    Spencerdl likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast