Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannukaz View Post
    I see, the sun was shining straight to my S5 so I guess that's why It was a tad warm. But would you suggest using the auto-brightness which I have now or manual ?
    I use Automatic Brightness which is great if you go into fluctuating environments of light. This option is better than leaving the display on full brightness at all times but its worse than leaving it at a lower brightness consistently.

The sun shining could make it warmer but if its on Auto brightness this will also cause the phone to become brighter. As for heat I guess it plays a role if its warm enough. The heat I was speaking of is created by the device itself due to the hardware being pushed to the limit.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I use Automatic Brightness which is great if you go into fluctuating environments of light. This option is better than leaving the display on full brightness at all times but its worse than leaving it at a lower brightness consistently.

The sun shining could make it warmer but if its on Auto brightness this will also cause the phone to become brighter. As for heat I guess it plays a role if its warm enough. The heat I was speaking of is created by the device itself due to the hardware being pushed to the limit.

Alright, I think I shouldn't be worrying about the battery then other than the signal.
    Thanks for now ! If I have more questions, I'll be sure to let you guys know ! :P
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jannukaz View Post
    Alright, I think I shouldn't be worrying about the battery then other than the signal.
    Thanks for now ! If I have more questions, I'll be sure to let you guys know ! :P
    There's always someone here to help.

my battery life is horrible! in an hour it goes down by 10% and gps bluetooth syn are all of... brightness is low... and how would i get a replacement from samsung?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I would love to get an entire day with moderate use. My battery is absoltely terrible on my gs5. I got a replacement yesterday so hopefully it is better today. I took it to Samsung yesterday and it was at 88%. The guy plugged it in to diagnose it and about 10 minutes later it was at 79%. He looked at me and goes "Ya thats not good."

my battery life is horrible! in an hour it goes down by 10% and gps bluetooth syn are all of... brightness is low... and how would i get a replacement from samsung?

Global Posts
    1,175 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruchy Reich View Post
    I just went to best buy since that's where I got it from.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't find battery life as good as reviews and people say. I always do everything possible to minimise battery drain but although it's a lot better than S4 battery it's still not what I'd call excellent. Not on par with G2 and I've never really had what I'd call excellent battery life from any Samsung. Other brands I have but never Samsung

Posted via Android Central App

I use Automatic Brightness also. I also have screen timeout at 10 minutes. But that is not to say that I leave the screen on for 10 minutes, it is that I don't want the screen to blank out while I am trying to get through an automated answering system, or while I am reading world news, or working with an excel spreadsheet.

I have reported that I get 3 days minimum and up to 5 days on a single charge. That is true, but it is not typical of the average user because I use manual control of the outside world. ie,
    I use Battery Doctor to turn OFF,
    Data, Sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth.

Also I use the Battery Doctor's 2nd widget to kill all background processes that are not needed when I put the phone to sleep.

Today is the end of the 2nd day after topping the battery off at 100%. That was 0500 AM yesterday morning.
    It is now 2100 hrs and the battery is at 48%.

Today, I have been on six phone calls to customer service reps handling business affairs. I'm guessing 2 or 3 hours of hold time? Now while on those phone calls, all of the above items I said are turned OFF, stayed turned OFF. They are not needed to make a 1x type phone call and that is how Verizon usually handles simple phone calls, you revert back to 1x signals.

Yesterday I surfed the internet for two hours, today I read forums for about an hour, and I used Navigation for about a half hour. All of that was using DATA, not WiFi.
    When all of that is done at any given time, I turn OFF,
    Data, Sync, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and put the phone to sleep.

At that point in time, the phone idles along at a rate of about 8% to 10% use for a full day.

So that is how I get greatly extended battery life.

I am fully aware that using video, watching TV or movies, playing interactive games, etc will use more battery power. That is the price tag of using 4g.

My personal 4g requirements are very light by most people's standards.

I have turned OFF all apps that are not necessary for me to do my style of living. No background internet traffic is allowed period when the phone is asleep.

So, you can have your cake and hang onto it, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sorry about the pun, but that is the way of battery life.

This is my cup of tea, and it surely will not be yours. But there is a happy medium in there somewhere for everyone. You just have to decide how to dish out the battery juice.

Hope you all are able to find your cup of tea.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Today, a co-worker who has an S4 and is hot into all things video, watches YouTube, movies on the job when he can.... that phone is in his hands every chance he gets. The battery ran flat on it at 1:30 PM today. He asked me if I had a charger cord with me.

oops, I left it in my lunch pail back at the office.... sorry Robert... My battery at that time was at 68% on this the 2nd day..... He asked me if I would loan him my battery. I said it is an S5 Robert, it won't fit.

Robert blurts out "All Samsung batteries are the same. "

Robert is one of those "know it alls" and I have learned to just keep my mouth shut around him.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
    Today, a co-worker who has an S4 and is hot into all things video, watches YouTube, movies on the job when he can.... that phone is in his hands every chance he gets. The battery ran flat on it at 1:30 PM today. He asked me if I had a charger cord with me.

oops, I left it in my lunch pail back at the office.... sorry Robert... My battery at that time was at 68% on this the 2nd day..... He asked me if I would loan him my battery. I said it is an S5 Robert, it won't fit.

Robert blurts out "All Samsung batteries are the same. "

Robert is one of those "know it alls" and I have learned to just keep my mouth shut around him.
    He obviously never saw the Note 3 battery.

I have GPS on. I haven't gone thru and disabled everything like some do. I like all the "fluff" and gadgets but I have disabled some preinstalled apps I don't use. I'd say the last two day were average use if not a little more. I'm over 50, have a land line and I'm not surgically connected to my phone
    Humm, for some reason my picture isn't showing. I'm at 1 day, 19 hours and 15% battery life

Galaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?-battery.jpg

That isn't bad either Monica.

Especially if you still have a lot of background stuff running.
    The GPS in and of itself is not a terrible battery hog, but it does use quite a bit. IIRC battery doctor says it saves about 90 minutes when I turn GPS off.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Really good battery life! Even at 10% battery level I still got the ultra battery saving mode

Sent from Space Gray design marvel of 2013

That isn't bad either Monica.

Especially if you still have a lot of background stuff running.
    The GPS in and of itself is not a terrible battery hog, but it does use quite a bit. IIRC battery doctor says it saves about 90 minutes when I turn GPS off.
    And Sync is enabled.

Surprisingly good battery life this morning while chatting on Facebook and checking news apps and websites.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by monicakm View Post
    I have GPS on. I haven't gone thru and disabled everything like some do. I like all the "fluff" and gadgets but I have disabled some preinstalled apps I don't use. I'd say the last two day were average use if not a little more. I'm over 50, have a land line and I'm not surgically connected to my phone
    Humm, for some reason my picture isn't showing. I'm at 1 day, 19 hours and 15% battery life

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battery.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	120506
    What preinstalled apps can I disable? The battery life is terrible idk how else to solve the issue

All of them.

Just be sure to not kill off the operating system.

Take a look at Application Manager/ALL and turn off apps you don't need. And some of the Android processes can be turned off w/o bad effects.

I have turned off the following on a Verizon phone:
    Accessories, Amazon, Amazon App suite, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Appstore, Audible, BlurbCheckout, Bubbles, FamilyBase Companion, Flipboard, Message+, Messages, MyMagazine, NFL Mobile, Picasa Uploader, S Health, Smart Remote, Travel Wallpaper, Verizon Support & Protection (McAfee), VZ Navigator (pay for fee Navigation.... Google maps is free)

Google branded:
    all turned OFF.

Calendar Sync, Contacts Sync, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Newstand, Hangouts, Isis Mobile Wallet

After I trimmed all that fat off the phone, the battery drain immediately improved a lot. Even with GPS and DATA left on.

In addition, I manually turn off GPS, Data, Sync, WiFi, and Bluetooth before I close the Lockscreen. For me, I have no need for any background internet traffic with the phone "hung up" and idle. I only read emails on the home desktop PC.

I am experiencing 3 full days minimum between charges, and once it went 5 days before I "caved in" and put it on the "brand new" Qi Wireless charger to see if it would work.

The phone and messaging work just fine with data turned off.
    I use the GoSMS Pro message app.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
    Thanked by:

All of them.

Take a look at Application Manager/ALL and turn off apps you don't need. And some of the Android processes can be turned off w/o bad effects.
    Pretty smart idea!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

I'm sure I could turn off more but if I have ANY doubt, I leave it alone. I've disabled:
    Accessories
    Amazon Kindle
    Appstore
    Audible
    BlurbCheckout
    Business Card recognition
    Caller Name ID (is that responsible for announcing the name/number of the person calling? It's unfortunately still working!)
    Cloud
    Epson Print Service
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google+
    Kid's Mode
    Picasa Uploader
    IMDb
    NFL Mobile
    Slacker
    Travel Wallpaper
    Versizon Tones

I'm sure I could turn off more but if I have ANY doubt, I leave it alone. I've disabled:

Caller Name ID (is that responsible for announcing the name/number of the person calling? It's unfortunately still working!)
    Cloud

Monica, IF you want your contacts backed up with Verizon's Backup Assistant, you will have to turn Cloud back ON. I always use Backup Assistant as that is how I get my contacts back on a new phone w/o any hassle.

I noticed the same thing even though I don't use Caller Name ID from Verizon. I won't pay them $2.99/month for that service. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. I suspicion it is a user setting with the contact. If they make their name visible to you, then you see it.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

OK, thanks. I'm not into nor do I like all this cloud business (do I sound old or wise? <g>) But keeping my contacts backed up is a good thing. They were backed up (probably by Google) prior to the S5 because they all magically appeared on the S5 along with some of my apps. Not all of them so I don't know why some made the trip over to the new phone and some didn't.

OK, thanks. I'm not into nor do I like all this cloud business (do I sound old or wise? <g>) But keeping my contacts backed up is a good thing. They were backed up (probably by Google) prior to the S5 because they all magically appeared on the S5 along with some of my apps. Not all of them so I don't know why some made the trip over to the new phone and some didn't.
    If you are on Verizon, most likely they were backed up on Verizon. Not necessarily so because you have to purposely enable that feature.

When I fired up my S5 the first time, it was a bit confusing at first as to what the different sign in things were for. I ended up with 3 accounts that wanted to keep a list of my contacts.
    Verizon Cloud
    Google
    Yahoo

Well, that created a mess. I would add a contact and then it would not be in my phone's contact list. Took a while to get it all sorted, but when I figured out what caused the mess, I deleted the contacts list on Google and Yahoo. Now the phone only looks at itself and it shows (Cloud) adjacent to that.

I don't like the term 'Cloud', and I have seen some very knowledgeable tech writers complain of the same thing. It is just to ubiquitous and doesn't really define what is going on. It just means that somewhere, "out there in the ether" exists something with your name on it and some one else has control over it. That to me is just plain scary.

i like my privacy.

I have been following the news from the EU (European Union). The courts there have declared that Google and all Search Engines must if requested by a person, remove all search links to that person's name and stop archiving searches period on that person's name.

They are also considering applying that to a person's location habits.
    Verizon Galaxy S5

All of them.

I have turned off the following on a Verizon phone:
    Accessories, Amazon, Amazon App suite, Amazon Kindle, Amazon MP3, Appstore, Audible, BlurbCheckout, Bubbles, FamilyBase Companion, Flipboard, Message+, Messages, MyMagazine, NFL Mobile, Picasa Uploader, S Health, Smart Remote, Travel Wallpaper, Verizon Support & Protection (McAfee), VZ Navigator (pay for fee Navigation.... Google maps is free)

Google branded:
    all turned OFF.

Calendar Sync, Contacts Sync, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Newstand, Hangouts, Isis Mobile Wallet

After I trimmed all that fat off the phone, the battery drain immediately improved a lot. Even with GPS and DATA left on.

In addition, I manually turn off GPS, Data, Sync, WiFi, and Bluetooth before I close the Lockscreen. For me, I have no need for any background internet traffic with the phone "hung up" and idle. I only read emails on the home desktop PC.

I am experiencing 3 full days minimum between charges, and once it went 5 days before I "caved in" and put it on the "brand new" Qi Wireless charger to see if it would work.

The phone and messaging work just fine with data turned off.
    I use the GoSMS Pro message app.
    What's the point of owning a smartphone if you disable all of those things jw
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.

Extremely impressed with the battery life I've been getting so refreshing coming from a galaxy nexusGalaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?-screenshot_2014-05-30-05-35-45.jpgGalaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?-screenshot_2014-05-30-05-35-29.jpgGalaxy S5: How's everyone's battery life so far?-screenshot_2014-05-30-05-35-59.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ericmazariegos View Post
    What's the point of owning a smartphone if you disable all of those things jw
    Simple, because none of those things improve upon my life.

I still have plenty of work for the "smart" side of the phone, and it is none of your business what they are.
    Verizon Galaxy S5
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122 ... LastLast