Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lock Screen Widget on S5: UNavailable feature? Want to add an Analog Clock to Lock Screen

Dear All:

I like analog clocks and have always put an analog clock on my lock screen.

In this case, I think Samsung has disabled the functionality (or feature) of allowing widgets of ANY sort to go on the Lock Screen!! I hope someone educates me on how to do it or tells me that I'm incorrect, but I fear that this is the case. This would be awfully stupid. Why remove features like widgets to customize? That is the raison d'etre of the more current phones and the more current Android versions.

Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Lock Screen Widget on S5: UNavailable feature? Want to add an Analog Clock to Lock Screen

There was a thread earlier, but no, there is no adding widgets to this phone on the lockscreen. No option like the s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Default Re: Lock Screen Widget on S5: UNavailable feature? Want to add an Analog Clock to Lock Screen

This is unfortunate. I wonder if alternate lock screens will eventually be able to use the fingerprint scanner so that you can have a lock screen with widgets.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Wait.... so you can't have lockscreen widgets with this phone?! The helll? #FAIL

Correct. Can't add DIGI clock or similar. Big let down.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

may i ask why digi clock is different from the stock digital clock on Samsung's own overlay?

i'm struggling with having to live with the inability to have widgets on the Lock Screen. this is entirely idiotic, excuse my french!

there is no reason whatsoever to remove a tiny little feature like this.

it's akin to removing one file that is 20KB in order to try to "save memory" in this day and age.

as bogged down and as cumbersome as the Samsung overlay is, removing this feature is ridiculous. this is not THE reason that the Samsung overlay to Android is consuming more than 50% of our "in phone" memory! ugh. disappointed, to say the least. poor judgement.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

This plus no DL Booster = me not getting the S5.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

If you have the S-view case will you be able to view time and basic info? Not sure if I will get that case or not. Still kind of expensive :/
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

i suppose i'm being overly specific, but i like analog clocks. maybe it's quirky, but anyhoo...

another issue cropped up:

the so-called Auto Brightness feature doesn't seem to work "out of the box".

the phone is not sensitive to the brightness of its environment except for when the "Auto Brightness" feature was selected. Thereafter, it would remain overly bright ad infinitum until one unchecks the Auto Brightness box and then re-checks it.

ugh.

i wonder if this is a feature that Samsung can fix via their next firmware update?

If you add your own wallpaper and it happens to be light in color or white, you are out of luck trying to see the default clock on the lockscreen.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmonitors View Post
    i suppose i'm being overly specific, but i like analog clocks. maybe it's quirky, but anyhoo...

another issue cropped up:

the so-called Auto Brightness feature doesn't seem to work "out of the box".

the phone is not sensitive to the brightness of its environment except for when the "Auto Brightness" feature was selected. Thereafter, it would remain overly bright ad infinitum until one unchecks the Auto Brightness box and then re-checks it.

ugh.

i wonder if this is a feature that Samsung can fix via their next firmware update?
    There always seems to be an auto brightness issue for some reason. They are usually not extreme but yours kind of seems like it. I would power the phone down (hold power, restart) and see if that helps.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Also...side note...If you you Nova launcher (or other launcher) will you be able to add a lock screen clock?

No idea what they did this...perhaps it was a security issue with the FP lock. I don't think the iPhone let's you add an analog clock either.

Has anyone tried third party lock screens?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by redhat1001 View Post
    If you add your own wallpaper and it happens to be light in color or white, you are out of luck trying to see the default clock on the lockscreen.

@redhat1001: thank you for being so precise and observant. correct!! i added a picture of my buddy (my doggie!) and there happens to be some white-ish part at the upper left corner of the picture. oh well, the clock is essentially non-functional as you can't really read the time.

idiotic to not allow widgets on the Lock Screen. sigh.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    No idea what they did this...perhaps it was a security issue with the FP lock. I don't think the iPhone let's you add an analog clock either.

Has anyone tried third party lock screens?
    however, the S4 allows me to add an anolog clock without compromising on the security of its building

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmonitors View Post
    however, the S4 allows me to add an anolog clock without compromising on the security of its building
    I agree, but the S4 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner. I'm not saying that's the reason...just supposition.

Dont matter to me, i nvr really used the lock screen widgets
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    Dont matter to me, i nvr really used the lock screen widgets
    i totally understand. most folks prefer digital clocks so to have a lock screen widget to change that to an analog clock would be atypical.

it is a very subjective thing: analog vs digital clocks!

I noticed that when I got mine.. hmm

At least touch wiz is really smooth. Even more so then sense on my One M7

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ROM
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Has anyone tried turning off the fingerprint scanner, making sure it is 100% off/disabled then try to add a lock screen widget?!

In addition to not having lock screen widgets, it seems that you also lose a lot of lock screen options. Now all I can have as a unlock effect is damn bubbles!!

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

while i totally understand that me liking an analog clock on my Lock Screen is a bit out of the ordinary, it ought not be a crippled feature set on a flagship phone in 2014!

the current only option, which is the default digital clock, is furthermore in white text ONLY. this creates a problem for those of us with a wallpaper that is light in color. at the very least, they ought to allow to select several color options for the text of the digital clock, if not an entire gamut of colors, maybe just 5 colors? ugh!

Bubble lock screen! I curse the!

You can actually change both the lock screen and the home screen, but it's a bit deceiving on how to do it.

Press and hold on an empty spot in your home screen. When the menu comes up, in the lower left hand corner is the wallpaper setting.
    Select Wallpaper, then select Lock Screen. It will say wallpaper at the top, but you can still select images.
    Once you've selected the image you like, tap "set wallpaper" at the top.
    Verify it's done by pressing sleep and then bringing it back up.

Done!

As for widgets, I'm not familiar enough w/ android to see if it's possible, so I'm sorry I'm not much help there. I'm a recent convert from Win7.

Hi,
    Yes it's possible!
    Press and hold on an empty spot in your home screen. When the menu comes up, in the middle you'll see ''Widgets'' setting.
    Select widgets, then select analog clock which you've downloaded before. Press and hold on the clock then transfer it to where ever you want. I've done it on my S5.
    Hope it helps :-)

OBS!
    My mistake, sorry! Seems is not possible!
    Last edited by Khorso; 04-14-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast