Is the Galaxy S5 headphone jack waterproof?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

I decided to use my S5 in the water park after 4 months of purchase. I made sure that the phone back and bottom covers are sealed properly. During the activities, I noticed the phone is connecting the ear phone. However, that was not a big problem since once you puff the water off it becomes fine. Once back home, I realized that the speaker is not functioning well. I used the hair dryer and after a while it became better. The next day the speaker became even louder and clearer, however, it is not like before at all. The quality of the voice was impacted a lot.

Any advise?

Did the water damage indicators get set off right under the battery? Also, most of what you've said is normal behavior but should fix itself. I can't comment on the voice quality.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

claudinne

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

I took my s5 today on a dive and i am in love all over again with my phone. I have the earphone icon in the notifications bar but after reading several forums it says it will go away. I live at the beach and this phone is a must with my active lifestyle!

Guillaume Lombard

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, I rinsed my phone this morning as in the commercial: my earphones are not working anymore and the front camera has condensation built up. so I would think twice about putting it in the water. by the way, I am in a country where temperature exceed 35C, the phone dried within hours.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I wanted to test it at one point, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Too scared.

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

crazysaguaro

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I dropped mine in a hot tub last night and all was fine ... except the headphone jack (the phone thought something was plugged into it). I blew the water out with a compressed air blast and it was instantly fixed! <3 my S5

Christopher Detrick

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, The headphone jack is water resistant. I have the Galaxy s5 and have taken it swimming in pools and down a water slide with me a few times now and it worked perfect. The only problem I have had was water did get into the headphone jack and seemed to fool the phone into thinking there were headphone plugged in rendering the normal speakers useless. Once I figured out this was happening I blew into the headphone jack a couple times and the phone worked perfect again. This only happened once and I have now taken it swimming with me multiple times. Hope this helps.

mattstyle

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
This is not waterproof at all.. I had the cover on and the power jack cover on.. the first time I took it in the pool to take some pics the ear phone jack issue occurred and then resolved itself as many indicated BUT..

The phones USB port would not work anymore.. so I bought the wireless charging cover.. that worked great.. so then I tried taking some more pics in the pool. Made sure the usb cover was on fine.

So it was in the water for a few seconds.. to snap a photo and take a short vid clip, I also made sure the port did not go in the pool too. The only part that went underwater was the half of the phone with the cam lens.

That is when it really started acting weird. THe LCD screen become possessed as if someone was hitting the back button or swiping.. the phone would become active while the screen was off, like someone hit the side button..

I checked the battery and the white square under the battery, both white -- not water intrusion indicated.. So I sent the phone in for a warranty repair.

They ended up sending me a Bill!

Std. Repair Fee - $65
LCD Repair Fee - $84

hoopla..

Don't attempt to submerge it.. they won't fix it for free even if the water intrusion squares are not 'tripped'.

dakota621

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I recently went swimming and forgot that I had my s5 in my swimsuit pocket. After an hour in the pool my phone worked perfectly. The adapter jack hole is self sealing.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently went swimming and forgot that I had my s5 in my swimsuit pocket. After an hour in the pool my phone worked perfectly. The adapter jack hole is self sealing.

Okay j believe you one post and it is this, next you will say you deep sea dive with it and nothing happened

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

JollyGQ

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I know this is old, but I didn't see any actually post about a true underwater experiment. I had just bought my wife an S5 last March and kept telling her it was water resistant...she didn't believe me. During the summer, she left her phone sitting by me as I sat on the step in the deep end. I used it to take pic and then said "oops" and dunked it under water. After I did it a few times, I held it about 2 feet underwater and tried to take pictures with it. After some experimenting, I realized that it doesn't sense your fingers on the screen at all while underwater so I had to go into the settings to make the power button the shutter button. After I did that, it was very easy to take pictures underwater. I also took videos of my kids swimming back and forth under water. All in all, the phone spent about 6 minutes under water with me pressing the power button repeatedly and had no issues. We did not buy the Active...just the regular s5 from Verizon. It has worked flawlessly since with no issues with the headphone jack or anything.

spsallidas

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I have just returned from a day's cycling in the rain with an unprotected Galaxy S5 on my handlebars. It's the first time I have tested the waterproof qualities of the phone. I was mostly happy with it, and it continued to work OK, apart from the screen being a bit unresponsive sometimes when it was very wet.

BUT! At the end of the day's ride I found that the phone was insisting that the headphones were in, when they weren't. So obviously I couldn't hear or speak on any phone calls... not much use! I was pretty p*ssed off, considering it is supposed to be IP67 rated... However, after a night in a warm bedroom, it did correct itself and now seems to be OK... but I was out of phone touch for quite a while...

I can't understand why Samsung put a little rubber sealed plug over the USB socket, and didn't do the same for the headphone socket?

I am going to chop the connector off a crappy old pair of headphones, and use it as a block next time I go out in a situation like that again.