Is the Galaxy S5 headphone jack waterproof?

Sliver22

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Just picked up my S5 from AT&T and came back to the office, everyone expecting a demonstration of me putting my phone in a glass of water...

I was completely ready to do it after watching all of the videos, but now I am not so sure after seeing the headphone jack has no cover.

For those of you who have tested it, does the headphone jack still work fine after getting wet? Does anyone know how this works?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

I'm not so sure I would test that. I look at the water resistance as an extra layer of protection against accidental exposure as opposed to 'let's take my phone snorkeling.'

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

From what I've read, the headphone jack has a coating that makes it water resistant.

scfoster

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

It's the same as the S4 Active. The headphone jack is sealed so no plug is needed. The bottom charging jack requires the rubber plug.

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

The headphone jack is sealed, but I have no plans on experimenting.

Posted via Android Central App

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Many reviews on youtube you can watch show you can submerge the phone in water and will do fine so long as you make sure your back battery covered is snapped on all the way and the bottom port(usb) is cover with the small cover. Everything else on the phone is sealed and does not need a cover. Like mentioned on here though, I wouldn't go swimming with it or keep it underwater for an extended period of time.

phoenix rising 2020

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

I finally got brave one day and tried it, it's fine, one instance water remained in the headphone jack and the phone kept implying I had headphones in, as soon as I blew air into the jack, it was fine. Hope this helps :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I've taken my phone underwater and taken underwater pics many times and my phone headphone jack still works... I think there is a protection inside

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

I've dunked my phone into the sink full of water to clean my phone once in a while and never had any problems.

Posted via Android Central App

DacyJ

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't purposely put my S5 in water even though I've seen the videos on YouTube.

Posted via Nokia 6230

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas Kea

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Dacy J.
You don't even have a Galaxy S5. The S5 is waterproof. It has a ip67 rating. if you knew anything.... anything you wouldn't not have made your comment above. Furthermore if you watch the samsung commercials on tv, the actor is rinsing the dust of his phone with water! samsung is not going to advertise someone rinsing their phone off if they thought it was not possible.
You should get rid of that brick you have (Nokia 6230... how do they even service that thing?) and get a smartphone:-\

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Went swimming this weekend w it and tried not to dunk it while in the water, but wanted to show it off to some friends, so....

Submerged it (checked that the back and charging dock covers were secure first obviously) and it is absolutely fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't purposely put my S5 in water even though I've seen the videos on YouTube.

Posted via Nokia 6230
I do have an S5 and I agree with you Dacy! I think of it as extra protection for normal use, not an underwater camera. I did however take a picture of a waterfall with lots of mist in the air. I would never have done that with my old iPhone.

Sent through Verizon from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Last edited by a moderator:

rj160202

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Nicholas, obviously it is YOU who doesn't know "anything". The S5 is NOT water proof. Learn the difference between water proof and water resistant before you try and insult others. It just reveals how much of a trolling fool you really are.

Iroxusux

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Dacy J.
You don't even have a Galaxy S5. The S5 is waterproof. It has a ip67 rating. if you knew anything.... anything you wouldn't not have made your comment above. Furthermore if you watch the samsung commercials on tv, the actor is rinsing the dust of his phone with water! samsung is not going to advertise someone rinsing their phone off if they thought it was not possible.
You should get rid of that brick you have (Nokia 6230... how do they even service that thing?) and get a smartphone:-\

water "resistant". Not water "proof". There's a difference.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

water "resistant". Not water "proof". There's a difference.

There is no "water proof", there is only water resistance to a lesser or greater degree. I don't care if they call it water proof or not, submerge it deeply enough and for long enough and it will fail.

TechGod2014

May 27, 2014
Visit site

I submerged my phone in water a few times and it still works perfectly. To those that are still skeptical just get the extra coverage from your carrier and splash away.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

No issues, I've washed...okay showed off my S5. LOL

Also, dropped in (clean) toilet and used it while it was pouring out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke