Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

Just picked up my S5 from AT&T and came back to the office, everyone expecting a demonstration of me putting my phone in a glass of water...

I was completely ready to do it after watching all of the videos, but now I am not so sure after seeing the headphone jack has no cover.

For those of you who have tested it, does the headphone jack still work fine after getting wet? Does anyone know how this works?

Global Posts
    17,436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

I'm not so sure I would test that. I look at the water resistance as an extra layer of protection against accidental exposure as opposed to 'let's take my phone snorkeling.'

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Greg C and troshs like this.

From what I've read, the headphone jack has a coating that makes it water resistant.
    Thanked by:

It's the same as the S4 Active. The headphone jack is sealed so no plug is needed. The bottom charging jack requires the rubber plug.

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

The headphone jack is sealed, but I have no plans on experimenting.

Posted via Android Central App
    Greg C likes this.

Many reviews on youtube you can watch show you can submerge the phone in water and will do fine so long as you make sure your back battery covered is snapped on all the way and the bottom port(usb) is cover with the small cover. Everything else on the phone is sealed and does not need a cover. Like mentioned on here though, I wouldn't go swimming with it or keep it underwater for an extended period of time.

I finally got brave one day and tried it, it's fine, one instance water remained in the headphone jack and the phone kept implying I had headphones in, as soon as I blew air into the jack, it was fine. Hope this helps

I've taken my phone underwater and taken underwater pics many times and my phone headphone jack still works... I think there is a protection inside

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

I've dunked my phone into the sink full of water to clean my phone once in a while and never had any problems.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

You guys carry your balls in wheelbarrows, I wouldn't purposely put my S5 in water even though I've seen the videos on YouTube.

Posted via Nokia 6230

Dacy J.
    You don't even have a Galaxy S5. The S5 is waterproof. It has a ip67 rating. if you knew anything.... anything you wouldn't not have made your comment above. Furthermore if you watch the samsung commercials on tv, the actor is rinsing the dust of his phone with water! samsung is not going to advertise someone rinsing their phone off if they thought it was not possible.
    You should get rid of that brick you have (Nokia 6230... how do they even service that thing?) and get a smartphone
    1Coopgt likes this.

Went swimming this weekend w it and tried not to dunk it while in the water, but wanted to show it off to some friends, so....

Submerged it (checked that the back and charging dock covers were secure first obviously) and it is absolutely fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
    You guys carry your balls in wheelbarrows, I wouldn't purposely put my S5 in water even though I've seen the videos on YouTube.

Posted via Nokia 6230
    I do have an S5 and I agree with you Dacy! I think of it as extra protection for normal use, not an underwater camera. I did however take a picture of a waterfall with lots of mist in the air. I would never have done that with my old iPhone.

Sent through Verizon from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Nicholas, obviously it is YOU who doesn't know "anything". The S5 is NOT water proof. Learn the difference between water proof and water resistant before you try and insult others. It just reveals how much of a trolling fool you really are.
    Thanked by:
    troshs 
    selena650, spotnjack and Iroxusux like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Kea View Post
    Dacy J.
    You don't even have a Galaxy S5. The S5 is waterproof. It has a ip67 rating. if you knew anything.... anything you wouldn't not have made your comment above. Furthermore if you watch the samsung commercials on tv, the actor is rinsing the dust of his phone with water! samsung is not going to advertise someone rinsing their phone off if they thought it was not possible.
    You should get rid of that brick you have (Nokia 6230... how do they even service that thing?) and get a smartphone
    water "resistant". Not water "proof". There's a difference.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iroxusux View Post
    water "resistant". Not water "proof". There's a difference.
    There is no "water proof", there is only water resistance to a lesser or greater degree. I don't care if they call it water proof or not, submerge it deeply enough and for long enough and it will fail.

I got the S5 specifically for use close to water and for its 4K video. I often shoot with the phone right at the water level or even slightly below... no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Blandford View Post
    I got the S5 specifically for use close to water and for its 4K video. I often shoot with the phone right at the water level or even slightly below... no problems.
    Awesome Video Quality.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

I submerged my phone in water a few times and it still works perfectly. To those that are still skeptical just get the extra coverage from your carrier and splash away.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

No issues, I've washed...okay showed off my S5. LOL

Also, dropped in (clean) toilet and used it while it was pouring out.

My S5 cost $550. I ain't rinsing it off.
    Thanked by:

Thumbs down Re: Galaxy S5: Is the headphone jack waterproof?

June 2014: I have a brand-new Galaxy S5 phone which I took to a commercial water park. While I tried not to soak or submerge the phone, it did get splashed quite a bit. All seemed well, until a presumed drop of water found its way into the earphone jack. After that occurred, the phone believed there was a headset / earphones plugged in for the next 4 - 6 hours. This caused the internal speaker to remain mute (the one that sits over your ear during a call, etc). All the while, the phone showed a Toast stating that headphones were connected. Fortunately, engaging the speaker phone allowed me to make / receive calls. Clearly, the water closed the circuit in the headphone port. Until it dried - on its own - the phone was crippled.

This was extremely frustrating to experience, with all of the hype about the phone being WATER RESISTANT (not water proof). Yes, the charger port cover was secure ... and, yes, the rear cover was secure as well.

In fact, this same exact issue occurred on a prior phone - another Samsung; the Galaxy S2 - only, that time, I was carrying the phone in my shirt pocket with the headphone port facing upwards ... and it was raining at the time.

The next time I plan to have my phone near water, I will take a headphone jack and insert it, after cutting off the wires. This will hopefully act as a plug.

Therefore, in my experience, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is still subject to malfunctions caused by water.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

All you need to do is shake the water out. Two quick shakes - and you are good to go.

The S5 components inside the phone are dipped in a water resistant silicone soloution. The headphone port takes 24 hrs to dry out they say but have experienced less.

Um, first off, u don't need to put a plug into the jack. You just have to use common sense and blow into the jack to remove the water. I have thrown my galaxy s5 into a pool, and just blew out the jack and it was just fine. Secondly, the manual actually says that the waterproofing, (and yes it said waterPROOFING) is created to both protect the phone, and to enable you to take waterproof pictures.). As long as you're not stupid with it, and make sure the back cover is sealed, it will be fine. Stop trying to scare people
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast