Galaxy S5: Anyone using this phone naked

bfeels

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody decided to use this phone without a case? I have a neo hybrid and I feel it really adds bulk to the phone

Last edited by a moderator:

tlr115

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone using this phone naked

Naked is how I prefer my phones, but I'll be using a case for the first couple of weeks in case I need to return it. But after that it's coming' off.

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

Has anybody decided to use this phone without a case? I have a neo hybrid and I feel it really adds bulk to the phone

You may want to try the Samsung Clear View Black Folio for the S5. Its back cover replaces the back cover which comes with the S5 and adds a windowed flip cover in the front. When the cover is closed, a small window is open to see the time, weather and make and receive calls. If you keep the phone in Power Saving Mode, it become like a dumb phone with a very long battery life.

Since it replaces the back cover, bulk is limited only to the flip cover in the front which serves to protect the screen when not in use.

StylinProfilin

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

You may want to try the Samsung Clear View Black Folio for the S5. Its back cover replaces the back cover which comes with the S5 and adds a windowed flip cover in the front. When the cover is closed, a small window is open to see the time, weather and make and receive calls. If you keep the phone in Power Saving Mode, it become like a dumb phone with a very long battery life.

Since it replaces the back cover, bulk is limited only to the flip cover in the front which serves to protect the screen when not in use.

What's the back cover like on this? Does it stay waterproof?

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

What's the back cover like on this? Does it stay waterproof?

That is the only question I have about it. So far I don't have an answer. If the rubber insulation stays attached to the phone when the original cover is removed, it should be waterproof. If the rubber insulation is fused to the original cover and cannot be separated, then it would not be waterproof. I won't know for sure until I receive my S5 next Tuesday.

Page 5 of the manual has a warning: "Caution! Do not remove the rubber seal from the inside of the back cover. Doing so can cause water damage to the device if it gets wet."

That implies the rubber seal CAN be removed. Thus, one would have to remove it from the original over and place it inside the Folio cover.

Last edited:

kaphyra

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site

Just got the phone. I wanted to get a case before phone but couldn't find one I like. I might go naked this time. I want something extremely thin.

bfeels

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I had to take my case of for a screen protector application and just noticed how thin the phone was without the case.

Any other suggestions on cases? I've tried the flip covers with the notes but I've decided they are not for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Heck no. I bought my S5 case three days ago. Spigen actually Emailed me today and told me they were sending me a new TPU layer free of charge (in addition to the one that came with it)

They supposedly got one of one the port holes too narrow on the original case, so they are sending me another one for free. I don't even have the phone yet and they're already sending me an updated case.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

That is the only question I have about it. So far I don't have an answer. If the rubber insulation stays attached to the phone when the original cover is removed, it should be waterproof. If the rubber insulation is fused to the original cover and cannot be separated, then it would not be waterproof. I won't know for sure until I receive my S5 next Tuesday.

Page 5 of the manual has a warning: "Caution! Do not remove the rubber seal from the inside of the back cover. Doing so can cause water damage to the device if it gets wet."

That implies the rubber seal CAN be removed. Thus, one would have to remove it from the original over and place it inside the Folio cover.

It has the gasket in the folio case. I have it, but don't really care for the different feel it gives the phone. I'll probably hold off on a case that I'll stick with until after the wireless backs are available.

Posted via Android Central App

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

It has the gasket in the folio case. I have it, but don't really care for the different feel it gives the phone. I'll probably hold off on a case that I'll stick with until after the wireless backs are available.

I just looked at my Folio Case and it does have rubberized insulation. Is that what you call a gasket? Is that the "rubber seal" referred to in the manual?

If so, that means the Folio Case is also water proof as is the original S5 cover.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I just looked at my Folio Case and it does have rubberized insulation. Is that what you call a gasket? Is that the "rubber seal" referred to in the manual?

If so, that means the Folio Case is also water proof as is the original S5 cover.

Yup!

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Does it have the water seal inside? I noticed that most 3rd party S5 accessories don't have it.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I've decided to invest in damage protection insurance rather than cases for this one :) I've put a Spigen Glas.Tr on it, though.

Christina Evans1

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I have the black now, and I love the feel of it. I don't want to put it in a case....but will I regret it? I am tired of the extra bulk. I put it in a case for all of 5 minutes before taking it out again

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the black now, and I love the feel of it. I don't want to put it in a case....but will I regret it? I am tired of the extra bulk. I put it in a case for all of 5 minutes before taking it out again

I don't think this thing needs a case at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non