Galaxy S5: rattle

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: rattle

I just noticed this. Tapping the front or back at the top of the screen causes the same rattle. Doesn't happen when the camera is open though. Anyone else have this?

Yes, all you're doing is causing the camera (some say shutter) to rattle. You can actually cause this rattle by tapping with a tiny bit more force anywhere on the device.

The rattle is normal. The S5 isn't the first nor the last phone to do this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

asuprice

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Yes, all you're doing is causing the camera (some say shutter) to rattle. You can actually cause this rattle by tapping with a tiny bit more force anywhere on the device.

The rattle is normal. The S5 isn't the first nor the last phone to do this.

I can understand the rattle when touching the back, but should I be able to hear it as I am touching things on the front of the phone?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I can understand the rattle when touching the back, but should I be able to hear it as I am touching things on the front of the phone?

With just enough pressure you should be able to. Its not like the phone is thick and parts are insulated from one another.

Kalla2014

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with the rattle sound.
I even ordered a new S5 , same problem.
When you go to the camera option , rattle sound dissappears .
I don't get it .Sound is driving me crazy.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
For reference, I just checked... It happens in my FisherPrice phone (iP 5s), too!

It's actually not hard to understand at all. Remember how your point-and shoot camera extends its lens barrel when you turn it on? That's not entirely unlike what's happening in the camera lens assembly when you turn on the camera software.

When the camera element is off, there is no force applied to the focusing mechanism, so it free-floats within the confines of its module, causing the rattle you hear. The software "powers up" the sensor and focus assembly, causing the electromechanical focus mechanism to stabilize the focus element in preparation for moving toward or away from the focal target to effect focus operations.

Camera power on, no rattle; camera power off, rattle. It's really just not a big deal.

Mark

talyler

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The rattle sound is normal. Like others said you can hear it on other models of cellphones coming from the camera area. For example my old Iphone 4S made the sound if I shook it.

It could be either the camera or the pedometer on the S5...not sure. I have a friend with a Galaxy S5 and both of our phones make the exact same rattle sound. Yes you can hear it if you tap the phone a little more aggresively. There is nothing wrong with your phone though. If you exchange it, you may be upset when your replacement has the same problem.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Got my replacement phone. No rattle. I see a lot of posts arguing this is normal but I disagree.

Posted via Android Central App

Give it a day or two. Pretty much sure it'll show up. I've now checked my DouchePhone 5s, my GS4, my Motorola Xyboard, and the S5. They ALL have the camera rattle, to a lesser or greater degree. In fact, if yours DOESN'T have the tiny rattle, there might be something wrong with your device :-D

j/k, sort of.

Mark

bestraincloud

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Give it a day or two. Pretty much sure it'll show up. I've now checked my DouchePhone 5s, my GS4, my Motorola Xyboard, and the S5. They ALL have the camera rattle, to a lesser or greater degree. In fact, if yours DOESN'T have the tiny rattle, there might be something wrong with your device :-D

j/k, sort of.

Mark

May be the case. My rattle was significant and you could hear it whether or not the camera was activated

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The rattle sound is normal. Like others said you can hear it on other models of cellphones coming from the camera area. For example my old Iphone 4S made the sound if I shook it.

It could be either the camera or the pedometer on the S5...not sure. I have a friend with a Galaxy S5 and both of our phones make the exact same rattle sound. Yes you can hear it if you tap the phone a little more aggresively. There is nothing wrong with your phone though. If you exchange it, you may be upset when your replacement has the same problem.

The GS5 does not have a "pedometer." It has a 6-axis accelerometer/gyro SMD that the S-Health software uses as a pedometer. This unit has a reference (proof) mass cantilevered (not free-floating) along each of 3 axes which cannot deflect enough to rattle without sustaining damage (their range is +/- 16g, which you are not generating with your wrist, no matter how much shake-weighting you do), and ceasing to function, especially at the low g-loads that you put on the phone by shaking.

It's the camera.

Mark

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
It is the camera...as someone else mentioned I can confirm when you tap the top part of the screen, you get a quick rattle, only really noticeable in a really quiet setting. The harder you tap the more noticeable/louder it is (which is the reason for my question below).

Turn the camera on and tap the same section of screen, no rattle.

It shouldn't, but little things like that bug me. Even though I know what it is for sure; it still bugs me.

I wonder though, since that rattle is indeed the camera MOVING in the phone...can you then rattle it enough, tap the screen hard enough, enough times, to actually mess the camera up?

Seems reasonable to me that anything contained in something that's lose enough to bump the edges of its container could be damaged this way? Maybe not though?

Just drives me nuts because I hear it all the time often leaning my phone forward to meet my thumb to tap the top portion of the screen (essentially tapping the phone to my thumb rather than straining my thumb to reach the top of the screen) especially when browsing web sites.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It is the camera...as someone else mentioned I can confirm when you tap the top part of the screen, you get a quick rattle, only really noticeable in a really quiet setting. The harder you tap the more noticeable/louder it is (which is the reason for my question below).

Turn the camera on and tap the same section of screen, no rattle.

It shouldn't, but little things like that bug me. Even though I know what it is for sure; it still bugs me.

I wonder though, since that rattle is indeed the camera MOVING in the phone...can you then rattle it enough, tap the screen hard enough, enough times, to actually mess the camera up?

Seems reasonable to me that anything contained in something that's lose enough to bump the edges of its container could be damaged this way? Maybe not though?

Just drives me nuts because I hear it all the time often leaning my phone forward to meet my thumb to tap the top portion of the screen (essentially tapping the phone to my thumb rather than straining my thumb to reach the top of the screen) especially when browsing web sites.

Doubtful but you never know. I wouldn't worry because so many phones have done this before with no issue.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any rattles. I read in other posts that it is the CAMERA doing that and that it's normal. I would take it to an AT&T store and have them check it out.

A representative in an ATT store will have less knowledge compared to those of us on Android Central. Most of them are doing a job and nothing else while most of us here are always on top of the latest tech.

Not trying to come off as a know it all but their knowledge is generally lacking.

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I just tried taking my phone back to Verizon to exchange it for another phone due to the rattle and a rep told me there is nothing wrong with my phone I asked if it was normal and he said it is common in most phones he then took his s4 out to see if it rattled and told me that it did. I guess I have to deal with the rattle but it is annoying and shouldn't be there

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Mine started rattling after about 10 days of ownership.

Turn on the camera it stops. Drives me nuts as it's quite loud and it just started today.
NONE of my prior Samsung phones had this rattle (Infuse, note, note 2, note 3, 2 s4's) so I might take it back to best buy just for grins.
My Nexus 5 did rattle but it was the power key.

It's obviously something to do with the S5's camera. Don't like it.

---
Update: trying clearing the camera app's cache and data, then factory reset. still the same problem so will take it in to BestBuy.
It really shouldn't rattle loudly lightly tapping the top half of the screen.
---
Update: returned it to BestBuy and the new phone has the same problem....outofthebox. oh well I will just deal with it...definitely NOT getting the HTC M8....like too many features of the S5 + better camera for my needs.

Last edited:

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Has to be the pedometer. Mine does it too. So does my daughters.

It's not "the pedometer." Your phone does not have a "pedometer." It has a solid state (and quite ridiculously small) accelerometer that a piece of software interprets for the function of a pedometer. There is no little ball to rattle around. This is most certainly the camera's moving lens element, which is not under electromechanical force when the camera is not in use, and which IS DESIGNED to free float to a certain degree in its barrel.

Is it normal? Yes. Are there some loudly rattling cases which aren't normal? Probably. Is it annoying? Definitely, but not nearly as annoying as this thread ;-)

Mark

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I just tried taking my phone back to Verizon to exchange it for another phone due to the rattle and a rep told me there is nothing wrong with my phone I asked if it was normal and he said it is common in most phones he then took his s4 out to see if it rattled and told me that it did. I guess I have to deal with the rattle but it is annoying and shouldn't be there

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

But that's the point. It SHOULD be there. If the camera lens couldn't move, then your focus mechanism wouldn't work.