Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default s5 screen not lighting up when I receive a text message

Need help. My s5 screen doesn't light up or wake up when I get a text message like my note 2 did. Anyone have any input?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: s5 screen not lighting up when I receive a text message

What do your settings look like for the messaging?

This makes me want to upgrade! I hate how my screen turns on when I get a message on my S3.

Try going to messages, then menu, then notifications, is lock screen and status bar checked? Also try pop up display so you don't have to unlock your phone to reply to the text.

I am also having trouble viewing text messages while my phone is locked/sleeping. The phone would 'wake up' and display the text message briefly on my old Galaxy S2 but not on my new S5. I only get the blinking blue notification light which doesn't catch my eye.

My current Messages Settings has Notifications on with Vibrate checked (but grayed out for some reason) Pop-Up Display checked, and under Preview Message I have both Lock Screen and Status Bar checked.

I would think that all of these settings would allow the screen to wake up and show the text message when received but again, just the blue indicator light is activated. There must be some other setting preventing the screen to wake up when the message is received. Any advise?

If you have Sprint phone it doesn't work. I haven't been able to get mine to do it either.

I don't mind not getting screen to come on when texted. But in the past I did use sms popup and it would show incoming texts when screen was locked on my htc evo. Give it a whirl.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.smspopup

Strange, mine lights up from a text. I can't disable it. I prefer just the sound and notification light. I'm on tmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by phone-a-holic View Post
    If you have Sprint phone it doesn't work. I haven't been able to get mine to do it either.
    I think you are correct. My sprint one acts like this too.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Well, I don't think that is entirely true, because I have Sprint and my S4 USED to pop on when I would get texts, but now it doesn't. I would like for it to do it, but now it seems after trying all the normal troubleshooting, the only way it does it now is if I turn on hands free mode. So I think it's a glitch in the software that decided to make it stop working.