Anyone go from a Note 3 to a Galaxy S5 ?????

totaled

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone go from a Note 3 to an S5 ?????

The only reason I switched to the S5 is I wanted a smaller phone. Speed wise I see no difference. The screen looks better on the S5 and the camera is also better, especially in low light. On Geek Bench the S5 was faster, on 3DMark the N3 was faster but in my real world observations there is no difference. They are both great, you can’t go wrong with either.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Why about the phone signal? Both the same or s5 better or worse?

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Why about the phone signal? Both the same or s5 better or worse?

They are within 1 - 5 dBm of each other, with neither consistently being better.

My short test at Verizon showed a difference of -3 to -5 dBm in favor of the Note 3. Nothing huge and I assume it will be improved as we go on.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Just a phone junkie, so I grabbed the S5 and the M8. the Note 3 is a great phone. Bought one at launch and went back to it several times after trying others.

Ha ha I also have the m8 and find myself gravitating back to the note occasionally. It's just something about the device that no other phones seem to provide. Simply said a note is a note...

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Ha ha I also have the m8 and find myself gravitating back to the note occasionally. It's just something about the device that no other phones seem to provide. Simply said a note is a note...

You never realize how much you miss the S-Pen until its gone. ;)

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I went from the Note3 to the S5 because I had nothing but problems with my Note 3. Lots of lagging and freezes, I exchanged 3 times but there was just little improvement and even though I learned how to live with it, it was to big to manage with one hand. I liked the screen size and that is one thing I am trying to get used to with the S5, but it will be a matter of time. Since I never cared for the S pen I couldn't care less whether I have it or not. In my personal opinion I went from the S4 to the Note 3 and now to the S5, and for me it is an improvement, I guess it is what ever fits your needs..... As far as the reception, I don't go by 1 to 5 dBm..... I go by what works for me and so far..... the S5 has better reception than the Note 3, also I am on TMobile..... I am sure that the carrier has a lot to do with that subject.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I went from the Note3 to the S5 because I had nothing but problems with my Note 3. Lots of lagging and freezes, I exchanged 3 times but there was just little improvement and even though I learned how to live with it, it was to big to manage with one hand. I liked the screen size and that is one thing I am trying to get used to with the S5, but it will be a matter of time. Since I never cared for the S pen I couldn't care less whether I have it or not. In my personal opinion I went from the S4 to the Note 3 and now to the S5, and for me it is an improvement, I guess it is what ever fits your needs..... As far as the reception, I don't go by 1 to 5 dBm..... I go by what works for me and so far..... the S5 has better reception than the Note 3, also I am on TMobile..... I am sure that the carrier has a lot to do with that subject.

Some people have had some horrific issues with the Note 3 reception. I have a friend who roams at work constantly even though every other phone holds signal on Verizon.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I have also heard the same. I was going for the note3 once I got my taxes back but someone I know said the reception is horrible on the note3 so I held back

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I have also heard the same. I was going for the note3 once I got my taxes back but someone I know said the reception is horrible on the note3 so I held back

Reception issues with Samsung is nothing new. My Note 3 has been ok, but sometimes people call me and my phone won't even ring. After using the 5S for a day I notice I get 4G in certain spots in my house I never got with my Note 3.

You'll never have the great reception you get from your Motorola though. Those radios are awesome.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Reception issues with Samsung is nothing new. My Note 3 has been ok, but sometimes people call me and my phone won't even ring. After using the 5S for a day I notice I get 4G in certain spots in my house I never got with my Note 3.

You'll never have the great reception you get from your Motorola though. Those radios are awesome.
exactly what I am talking about....... very seldom I got LT at my house with the Note 3 ........ but with my S5.... is there all of the time............

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I've missed a couple calls and only knew about it because of my voicemail. That's the extent of my issues though. Can't wait to see how well the S5 works this week.

I wouldn't say its horrible. I have yet to have an issue beyond the rare missed call and no ring. However, 3 of my friends, 2 on Verizon like me and 1 on T-Mobile have had a my minor issue + constant break ups and dropped calls. Its hit or miss and seems to be hardware related on certain phones. Replacements helped solve their issue but it took many replacements.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Not worth the upgrade. My gf has a note 3 and I just got the S5 on verizon. They are so close specs wise that u just need to decide do u want screen size and the S pen? Or a smaller screen and overall smaller phone? I doubt u will notice the differences in speed, camera, battery, and screen res as they are all such tiny differences.

fallenangel808

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

Hehe I see you jumped ships too Fantom ;)

I still have my Note 3-had it since Verizon's launch day but I also got the s5 on Friday. Now, I haven't had that much time to say that I absolutely love the s5 over the Note 3. I am still in love w/ my Note 3 but the only issue I had w/ it was the reception issue. It was ok and I never did lose signal or missed calls but there were times when people couldn't hear me. Battery drain seems about the same even though the s5 is a smaller battery. The weight doesn't feel that much different but the speaker sound on the s5 seems to be a little louder. The specs are not a huge upgrade but this is me basing it on just a couple of days. I do have to say though, cosmetically the s5 has WAY more options for cases which makes me jealous for my Note 3 lol. However, I am missing the larger screen and the S-pen so that might just be enough for me to go back. I will give it a week and see how I feel by then.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I'll agree with that I as well seem to get better coverage. My note would drop between 3g and 4g constantly. Now it seems to always have lte.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Hehe I see you jumped ships too Fantom ;)

I still have my Note 3-had it since Verizon's launch day but I also got the s5 on Friday. Now, I haven't had that much time to say that I absolutely love the s5 over the Note 3. I am still in love w/ my Note 3 but the only issue I had w/ it was the reception issue. It was ok and I never did lose signal or missed calls but there were times when people couldn't hear me. Battery drain seems about the same even though the s5 is a smaller battery. The weight doesn't feel that much different but the speaker sound on the s5 seems to be a little louder. The specs are not a huge upgrade but this is me basing it on just a couple of days. I do have to say though, cosmetically the s5 has WAY more options for cases which makes me jealous for my Note 3 lol. However, I am missing the larger screen and the S-pen so that might just be enough for me to go back. I will give it a week and see how I feel by then.

You think the speaker is louder? I was thinking opposite. I hate the placement of the speaker but know they most likely placed it there for water resistance purposes. I'm more impressed by the note's speaker than I am the s5.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I really like everything about the GS5!
Am I switching from my Note3? Not on your life!
It's all about the screen size for me. I went smaller once, Droid DNA (5.0") to HTC One (4.7"). The DNA was one of the best phones I have ever owned, just wanted to upgrade, The One had more processing power, memory, etc. It soon became one of the best phones I ever owned....but, the crappy camera and 4.7" screen always bothered me. The DNA screen and camera were fantastic (but the limited memory, 16GB was an issue and there was no removable SD available).
Comparing the GS5 and the Note3 I see most of the differences negligible, in other words in real world I will not be able to tell the difference.
I am sorry to hear about some that have had issues with the N3, mine has been perfect in every regard (battery, reception, speaker, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. exceptional in every regard).
So in the end, I personally am not seeing a huge upgrade. I am use to and very comfortable with the size of the N3 and would not want to give up the screen real estate. Now, the GN4....that's a different story.
On a side note, being a HTC fan as well, the new M8 was in contention with the GS5 when I was considering an upgrade. I spent quite a bit of time with the M8. Simply disappointing, HTC took a step forward in design and material but 5 steps back everywhere else.
The M8 is about the size of the N3, no really....with useable screen area similar to the M7 (4.75")....Huh?? It's a gangly sized phone (tall and thin) with no substance to justify the design. Lots of lost useable space with the onscreen buttons and huge logo bezel.
Same 4 megapixel but updated crappy camera (the front facing camera actually has more megapixels (5) than the primary camera....Duh).
Based on the sales of the HTC One vs. S4, I would say that the S5 to M8 comparison will be the same (or better for the S5).
According to the Wall Street Journal (paywalled), via Android Authority, an unnamed HTC executive told the publication that sales were "pretty good" so far, with "around 5 million" units selling. The HTC One has been available for four months, averaging around 1.25 million units per month. For contrast, Samsung claims to have shipped 10 million handsets in just one month. If I didn't own the N3 I would be all over the GS5 like Oprah on a sandwich!
Never been a fanboy for any particular brand, a great phone is a great phone....just call it like I see it.
We shall see....

fallenangel808

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

You think the speaker is louder? I was thinking opposite. I hate the placement of the speaker but know they most likely placed it there for water resistance purposes. I'm more impressed by the note's speaker than I am the s5.

It seemed only a little but not by much. I played the same song side by side for comparison just to see. I will try again later, maybe play a movie or something.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally love my Note 3 and don't see myself going to the S5.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech