Anyone go from a Note 3 to a Galaxy S5 ?????

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if any of you new S5 owners came from a Note 3 and have had a chance to decide if the S5 is a worthy upgrade ???

My main interest's with the S5 compared to the Note 3 are mostly about picture quality and screen quality,,, yes, I know the screen and picture quality are said to be better, but by how much,,, worthy of an upgrade ?

Thanks in advance for any comparison thoughts.

Cheers
Davyo

Last edited by a moderator:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone go from a Note 3 to an S5 ?????

Not much better. Only switch if you want a smaller display. Or wait for the Note 4.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the screen will be much better, but I think the camera will be better.

I think the S5 is a nice phone but it's too small for me. Hopefully someone who has made the upgrade will enlightened us soon!

Posted from my galaxy note 3

Last edited:

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I was curious about this myself I have gotten to really enjoy using my note 3 I was curious if the s5 could out do the note

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I was curious about this myself I have gotten to really enjoy using my note 3 I was curious if the s5 could out do the note

I don't think the screen will be much better, but I think the camera will be better.

I think the S5 is a nice phone but it's too small for me. Hopefully someone who had made the upgrade will enlightened is soon!

I don't have the S5 but I played with it at Verizon. The only reason to switch if you don't mind losing the S-Pen and a smaller display. For me, anyways, I prefer the size of the S5. I bought the Note 3 because my Droid Maxx had a list of issues from an update and the S4 was subpar. The S5 now has great battery life so I'm considering the switch but I keep holding back for some reason.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't have the S5 but I played with it at Verizon. The only reason to switch if you don't mind losing the S-Pen and a smaller display. For me, anyways, I prefer the size of the S5. I bought the Note 3 because my Droid Maxx had a list of issues from an update and the S4 was subpar. The S5 now has great battery life so I'm considering the switch but I keep holding back for some reason.

I can't decide if I want to switch either. I'm not sure that I'll like the USB flap that I'll have to use every time I need to charge it

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I can't decide if I want to switch either. I'm not sure that I'll like the USB flap that I'll have to use every time I need to charge it

I just ordered through the Comcast offer online. $200 after $50 mail in rebate and Comcast will send me a $150 gift card. So in the end the device is $50+ tax as I will have the upgrade fee credited back as usual.

I just like the way it feels. I enjoy my Note but day in and day out I keep wishing it was more the size of my old Droid Maxx

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Not much better. Only switch if you want a smaller display. Or wait for the Note 4.

So by "not much better" are you basing this on your personal real world usage of the S5 compared to the N3 ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

So by "not much better" are you basing this on your personal real world usage of the S5 compared to the N3 ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Davyo

If messing around with it in Verizon counts than yes. Don't get me wrong it looks better but its not a major change. The camera is said to be better but again its not a reason to switch at this moment. Unless, and I'm stretching this far, you would prefer a smaller device.

I'll have some real world usage next week most likely.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I think the S5 is a nice phone but it's too small for me. Hopefully someone who has made the upgrade will enlightened us soon!

Yep,, the opinions of those that have personaly gone from the N3 to the S5 could be very enlightening.

Yep,,, that is the big question.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

If messing around with it in Verizon counts than yes. Don't get me wrong it looks better but its not a major change. The camera is said to be better but again its not a reason to switch at this moment. Unless, and I'm stretching this far, you would prefer a smaller device.

I'll have some real world usage next week most likely.

I did get to play with the S5 yesterday at my local T-Mobile store and the screen was very nice but didn't get to spend enough time with it to get a good feel for it.

I owned and loved my Note 1 and Note 2, then went to the S4,,, I'm on the T-Mobile jump program and can upgrade every 6 months for free,, "very cool",,,, in the end I want the Note 4 but that ain't guna happen until September.

I'm bored with my S4 and just tring to figure out weather to get the S5 or the Note 3 to tide me over till the Note 4 comes out.

Cheers
Davyo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I did get to play with the S5 yesterday at my local T-Mobile store and the screen was very nice but didn't get to spend enough time with it to get a good feel for it.

I owned and loved my Note 1 and Note 2, then went to the S4,,, I'm on the T-Mobile jump program and can upgrade every 6 months for free,, "very cool",,,, in the end I want the Note 4 but that ain't guna happen until September.

I'm bored with my S4 and just tring to figure out weather to get the S5 or the Note 3 to tide me over till the Note 4 comes out.

Cheers
Davyo

I wouldn't call it free but I know what you're talking about! :) You're a tech head just like me. Always craving the next best thing; literally.

Go to the store and look at both. You loved the Note 2, as did I. The only reason I'm switching is the size feels a bit bulky in my pocket. That's a personal opinion, not a fact though. I would think that if you really want a Note 4 than you mind as well go with a Note 3 now. :)

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't call it free but I know what you're talking about! :) You're a tech head just like me. Always craving the next best thing; literally.

Go to the store and look at both. You loved the Note 2, as did I. The only reason I'm switching is the size feels a bit bulky in my pocket. That's a personal opinion, not a fact though. I would think that if you really want a Note 4 than you mind as well go with a Note 3 now. :)

Well,,, I like to think of it as free :)

Yep,,, I be a total tech head as well,,, always need to have the new'est best'est and I'm spoiled rotten.

Usually it's an easy pick for all my tech toys habit and addiction ,, but the Note 3 vs the S5 really has me on the fence 50/50.

Cheers
Davyo

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Well,,, I like to think of it as free :)

Yep,,, I be a total tech head as well,,, always need to have the new'est best'est and I'm spoiled rotten.

Usually it's an easy pick for all my tech toys habit and addiction ,, but the Note 3 vs the S5 really has me on the fence 50/50.

Cheers
Davyo

Gotta give the S5 a slight edge over the note 3 at this point. Depends what you are looking for though. The S5 is even nicer than I was expecting and I always expect a lot.

Posted via Android Central App

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Being a note 3 owner since release I will say the s5 is a worthy upgrade. Now is it a must have if you have the note 3 absolutely not. It's basically incremental how the s4 was to the note 2 but I will say that I believe it's a bigger jump between the note 3 and the s5 then there was for the latter. Only major improvement I seen with the s4 was camera and screen. The s4 improves on that and more mainly software. I initially thought the new TouchWiz was kiddie but it is very functional with some nice added features. If Samsung would've brought over the new interface I probably wouldn't have been so compelled to get the s5 but who am I kidding I've had every galaxy since the s2(excluding the s4) so I know I will most likely upgrade to the note 4 when it's released...

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

O and another plus is the weight. The note 3 isn't heavy but it isn't a feather either. Lightness even with a case is much appreciated :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Being a note 3 owner since release I will say the s5 is a worthy upgrade. Now is it a must have if you have the note 3 absolutely not. It's basically incremental how the s4 was to the note 2 but I will say that I believe it's a bigger jump between the note 3 and the s5 then there was for the latter. Only major improvement I seen with the s4 was camera and screen. The s4 improves on that and more mainly software. I initially thought the new TouchWiz was kiddie but it is very functional with some nice added features. If Samsung would've brought over the new interface I probably wouldn't have been so compelled to get the s5 but who am I kidding I've had every galaxy since the s2(excluding the s4) so I know I will most likely upgrade to the note 4 when it's released...

TBH besides the touchwiz change a minor upgrade in cpu (GPU is the same ) and the snapdragon 801 is not a reason to upgrade from if your just looking at specs because I believe the 3GB of Ram on the note 3 with the 800 cpu ( If it was the 600 i would say yes the S5 is better) trumps the 2GB of Ram and the 2.5ghz snapdragon 801 cpu. The only reasons why i see the s5 is a better phone is if you want the have the newest phone, Smaller phone for 1 hand operation , better camera , Heart rate sensor , Finger print scanner and a marginally better screen. If screen size isn't an issue i would wait for the note 4 since it should have all that and more

- - - Updated - - -

Its more powerful

Posted via Android Central App

Not really ... 801 > 800 marginally but the 3GB of Ram in the note 3 > 2GB in the s5 ill say is more important then the SOC upgrade

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I had the Note 3 and returned it to wait for the 32GB GS5 to arrive before making a final decision. The GN3 is a great device but once you add a case to it, its bulky, I did find the Spigen Bounce case to be a great case option since it is slim, and really keeps the Note 3 thin and light. Downside is not as much protection as say the Slim Armor or others but much slimmer than the UAG case I had sent back as well.

I would like the GS5 for the updated UI, apps, camera, screen and just being a bit smaller does have its advantages. Now I just need AT&T to offer it since I will use their Next option and my corp discount is much bigger with AT&T than Verizon. The only benefit Verizon can offer with Edge is trading in anytime after 30 days and 50% paid off. I would wait for the GN4 but I do need a phone asap.

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Just a phone junkie, so I grabbed the S5 and the M8. the Note 3 is a great phone. Bought one at launch and went back to it several times after trying others.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2