Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By _Zguy__
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Problems

Just switched from the HTC One to Galaxy 5 yesterday. Upon setting it up, loved it; screen looks great, easy to type on keyboard, etc.

It seems that the battery drains really quick - real quick! With the first HTC One (M7), had no problems with battery at all. I tried restarting the device twice, but still having battery issues. For example the phone was fully charged before I went to bed and then when I woke up 6 hours later it was already down to 67% with it being not used. What could be going on? Not an expert user with settings so any help would be appreciated before I decide I'm going to go back and just get the new HTC One. Thanks!

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Battery Problems

Welcome to the forums.
    Keep in mind the battery will need 4 or 5 charge cycles to get into the swing of things.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Keep in mind the battery will need 4 or 5 charge cycles to get into the swing of things.
    Thanks for the welcome! Do I need to let the battery drain completely that many times before charging?

Quote Originally Posted by li33gwm View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Do I need to let the battery drain completely that many times before charging?
    thats really just a myth. modern lithium batteries dont need to be power cycled to "hold charge". they'll love the juice whenever you give it and work hard when its not charging. i guarantee after a couple days of normal use and charging youll see it acting normal or as expected.

like most of us you might also be tinkering quite a bit and im sure that doesnt help. be mindful of all the apps you have running in the background

Global Posts
    20,755 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by li33gwm View Post
    You don't need to completely drain batteries anymore. But the battery does need a few charge cycles to get into a rhythm.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the reply again. In terms of apps running in the background, how do I know what is running so that I can turn some of them off? Here's what my battery settings says is happening:
    Here's what is says for Battery Settings:

55% - Not Charging
    10h 49m on battery

Android System - 19%
    HD Widgets - 14%
    Google Search 12%
    Android OS - 11%
    Screen - 9%
    Cell Standby - 6%
    Android Core Apps - 6%
    WiFi - 4%
    Device Idle - 4%

Turn off WiFi, GPS (Location Based Services) when not in use.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    Turn off WiFi, GPS (Location Based Services) when not in use.
    Those use a negligible amount of battery when they're on but not in use. No need to turn them off.

Considering you just got the phone it probably still is doing a lot of background syncing all your Google services, should be fine once all that is done
    GeekNews likes this.